Ice hut question?

Author
spaceman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2012/12/31 12:04:28 (permalink)

Ice hut question?

I just got a ice hut for Xmas. It's prob ten years old. I've used this exact one before on ice. And as u all know wind and ice huts don't mix to well. I bought myself four ice anchors and just decided to set up my ice hut in the garage. Yea I have the fever!!! I just realized there us no place for the ice spikes. I've seen the newe ones have places in the corners but this particular one has nothing? Should I try to drill holes in my plastic floor? Or try and rig up something on the corners like the newer ones? It's a "shapell model s 300". I'm afraid of drilling the plastic as it might crack under alot if pressure. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re:Ice hut question? 2012/12/31 12:14:35 (permalink)
    I drilled 2 holes in the back inside of my Shappel Dx 3000 and had no problems.  Not sure about your set up but my Shappel had loops sewn on the outside of each corner to stick a ice anchor in and set in the ice if it is the T style or a rope could be used to tie to the anchor if it was some other type of anchor.
    spaceman
    New Angler
    Re:Ice hut question? 2012/12/31 12:22:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I just wanted to see if anyone else ever had there plastic break. I have the t handle ice anchors. Might try to rig something up on the corners first, but if all else fails ill be drilling. It won't be long!!!!!
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re:Ice hut question? 2012/12/31 12:33:47 (permalink)
    You could always get a super large size fender washer and slip it unto your ice screw if you drill holes inside.  That should help spread the pressure on the plastic out more.  Maybe call Shappell and ask them what they think about the strength of the plastic on that particular model.   Also maybe ask on the ice shanty website, maybe someone there has your type of shanty or has done the same thing.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Ice hut question? 2012/12/31 12:47:28 (permalink)
    I've never used anchors before. I just drill a hole and put a rope with a 20" piece of 2"pvc tied to the end. Turn it sideways after you get it down the hole, works great. You get a chilly arm getting it out but hey it works. 
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re:Ice hut question? 2012/12/31 13:51:18 (permalink)
    I also sometimes use that way especially if the ice is thick and I have the gas auger going.  I can drill 2 extra holes pretty easy and it's quicker than turning the hand anchors in.   Instead of PVC I used 2 water ski rope handles that I found at Yough dam.  When done for the day I use just use the handle of my minnie scoop to push the handle so I can retrieve it back up the hole.

I fish High Point Lake in Somerset County a lot and I'm always afraid of the wind there.  I do have the most faith in the extra holes with the handle down them but if it's not real windy the hand anchors have worked fine for me so far.
    spaceman
    New Angler
    Re:Ice hut question? 2012/12/31 20:23:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help guys. Drilled my holes. If it starts to crack ill try the stick on string methods. Dave I used to live in frendsville md and fished high point alot. Def very windy spot. Miss that area alot
    Jump to: