panfish enhancement lakes

Author
jeeters4
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2012/12/26 19:03:25 (permalink)

panfish enhancement lakes

i fish cross ck. lake in washington co. alot and have no trouble catching a limit of bluegill and crappie- the problem for me is catching a  gill over 9 in. and a crappie over 10in. it seems to me maybe the regs. need to be changed.

11 Replies Related Threads

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2012/12/26 19:19:43 (permalink)
    I fish over there from a boat and don't have any trouble with the size reg. I Do admit they are starting to get fewer. All the really nice ones I've caaught is when trolling
    fishink
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/01 11:50:03 (permalink)
    This biologist report from 2007 resulted in a catch of 1672 black crappie and 1567 bluegill. Thirty-five percent of the black crappie and 67 percent of the bluegill were legal. Another 19 white crappie were captured ranging in size from 3 to 10 inches.

From the report:

"48% of the total catch was comprised of black crappie, and 45% of the total catch was comprised of bluegill."

&

"The best example of how modifications made to existing angling regulations can improve the abundance of larger fish for a given population is depicted by Cross Creek Lake’s bluegill data.  The abundance of legal (greater than 7 inches) bluegill collected from trap nets was variable when Conservation Regulations (no minimum length; 10 per day creel limit) were in place from 1986 through 1997.  However, with the authorization of Panfish Enhancement Regulations (7 inch minimum length; 20 per day creel limit) in 2000, the abundance of legal-sized bluegill has shown a dramatic increase for each of the past three survey years (2003, 2005, and 2007)."
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/10 16:50:28 (permalink)
    I need help there then because I've never caught a legal 'gill or Crappie on Cross Creek. Do you have to be in a boat to get to them? I've explored the shoreline a few times but even though that usually takes some brush beating, I still haven't found the nice panfish.

I do really well on largemouth there though.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/10 19:11:25 (permalink)
    No you don't need a boat. When I was able I use to fish the shore. There are several spots that pay off with some nice crappie but I can't go into details cause someone else may consider them to be their honey holes, but I will say they're in easy waalking distance of the guard shack. Do you ever stop at the bait shop and talk with Mike?
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/11 21:16:07 (permalink)
    Nope, I tend to be a bit stubborn and explore a new area 'til I either have success or have to give in and ask help. I think this Spring I'll give in and ask help! Cross Creek was the source of one of my favorite memories though; I was out with a friend who had a boat and had cast a Fathead toward shore, just about 6 feet from the boat.

Something took my minnow instantly and took off under the boat with such force that I almost lost the road! Unfortunately, I was using cheap terminal tackle, and the hook broke before I could bring the road around to the other side!

I've learned my lesson about cheap gear. :)

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/12 09:55:35 (permalink)
    It may not have been your tackle although I would never recommend using cheap tackle. Could have been a Musky or a big catfish. I also have  a story similar although mine didn't break. I was fishing the mouth of a creek when I was about 13 years old. I didn't know much about fishing (still don't) and what tackle to use. I was tossing some topwater lure and just reeling it back when there was a huge swirl, my rod almost came out of my hand and when I reeled in the lure which was a cheap wooden lure, there were teeth scrapes in it. Never seen what it was. It was a creek at the mouth of the Yough river. Assuming it was a musky since what I seen of it, it was a lot bigger than a walleye. The Yough is known to have some decent musky in it.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/12 10:08:53 (permalink)
    I plan on heading out cross creek next Friday, I have half the day off, from all accounts it's not frozen yet so i'm going to give it a shot. Never fished it from shore but it'll be nice to get out and hike around.

Got Walleye???
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/01/12 10:18:59 (permalink)
    As of last night there was a very thin ice but should be gone by today. There was some guys fishing off the handi cap dock before it turned cold.As for cheap gear I would not touch it but but I saw my youhgest girl catch a nice size carp on a SNOOPY pole. Its all in the drag setting
    chasmo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/03/02 19:58:52 (permalink)
    I used to fish the shore near the stumps at the area across from the parking lot. We had fairly good luck there. But that was 15 years ago.

We have met the enemy and it is US.... Pogo 1970 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/03/03 09:52:40 (permalink)
    You mean the ones by the big hickory nut tree and little spring? If so we probably were fishing side by side. It got a little too hard to get there when the earth dam caved and if some boaters saw you catching fish they'd anchor right in front of you..I've tried there from my boat when no one was around and nothing, I just figured those stumps are decayed to far
    burghwolfe
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:panfish enhancement lakes 2013/03/23 23:00:41 (permalink)
    I fished Cross Creek one day last year around this time after a week of temps in the 70s.  Fished from a float tube and used a 3 wt flyrod.  Probably caught 100 fish, mostly bluegill, in about 3-4 hours of fishing.  If I didn't get a hit within 5 seconds of the fly hitting the water, I would cast a couple of feet in either direction because it wasn't worth waiting another 5 seconds.  I would say about a third of those fish were 9" or better.  It didn't seem to matter where I fished that day, they bit anywhere.  So they are there, you just have to hit them right.  Hopefully I can recreate that day again this year.
    Jump to: