Fly Reel on Ice Rod

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/08 15:29:41 (permalink)

Fly Reel on Ice Rod

Ok. There seems to be a big movement toward fly reels on ice rods lately. They say that the large arbor eliminates line twist and memory. For shallow water panfish, this is supposed to be the best thing going. So, does anyone have one? What I'm really interested in is the Dave Gentz Ice Fly Spooler. It is a fly reel with a longer foot, so that the reel hangs farther from the rod, like a spinning reel. I'd like to learn a little about these. Do you have to "strip" them or will they freespool? I know nothing about fly fishing, so I don't even have that to draw on. Do they have drags or do you have to hand-line them? Any info you can get me on this, will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

John

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

11 Replies Related Threads

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/08 19:43:12 (permalink)
    Here's a video that shows a guy using one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiz6K4iy9JM&feature=relmfu
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/08 20:32:54 (permalink)
    Thank you

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 08:23:29 (permalink)
    Got a couple last year...only had them out 10-12 times, but I really like em. Really seem to totally eliminate line twist/jig spin.
    I would say they're best in 20fow or less, just due to stripping less line on the ice, but they'd work @ at any depth really.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 09:52:22 (permalink)
    Pork, do you have the Gentz combos? The Ice Spooler? Do you like the rod that came with it? Do you think that mono left on the reel for two seasons is still ok, or would you still have to change line? I'm always changing line on my spinning reels due to twist and memory. I'm just curious if this reel eliminates the need to change line.

D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 09:58:14 (permalink)
    I use the old schooly reels, looks like a cheap version of Genz's product. I like them for all those reasons no twist plus you can pin them and go to the same depth everytime. I have to pull the line out the jigs don't weigh enough to free spool, the schooly reels have a spring drag if a steelhead hits not much help, nice reels never used the spinning reel type so can't compare, but they never freeze up, and are very cheap. Hope this helps...

D-MAC
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 10:13:12 (permalink)
    Nah, I got a couple Thorne Bros rods (dead stick & perch sweetheart)with the okuma SLV reels. (Christmas gifts)
    The ice spooler looks like a good option, I like that it hangs a bit lower than a normal 'fly reel', and the price is right.
    Frabill also has the straight line 241 & 101.
    some other budget reels would be the crappie reels by Slaters jigs...
    they're a combination of a fly reel & a schooley, cheap.

edit: you'd probably be fine using the same line a couple years or more.
    BUT, I have heavy backing on my straight line reels & just change the main line each year since it's only about 50 yds. max.
    post edited by Pork - 2012/11/09 10:31:53

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 10:55:21 (permalink)
    Slab, I cant tell ya anything about the Dave Genze Ice fly reel, but last year I put one of my old fly reels on an ice rod and really liked the basic performance. It was an old cheap reel so I would definitely want to step up to something a little better, but like I said, I liked the basic way it worked. (even landed a pike about 16" long on it)
    I have seen that Fish USA has several makes and models of fly type ice reels to choose from and GM is supposed to be carrying an eagle claw inline ice reel that looks interesting.  My thought is (doesn't necessarily have to by yours) get something relatively inexpensive at first to see if you even like the concept then think about stepping up to something a little more high performance if you like it.
    Anyway good luck!
    Can't wait for ice to get here!!!
    John
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 13:34:50 (permalink)
    Really good information here guys. Thanks! I wish that they made a reel that you didn't have to strip. I think that is going to be the biggest downfall. Also, isn't it hard to reel in a fish with gloves on? The handles on fly reels are tiny! I like the long foot on the Gentz reel. I think I might ask Santa for one. Do you use regular fly backing? I have no idea what to buy for backing. How do you tie the mono to the heavy backing?

Pork
    Pro Angler
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 13:55:07 (permalink)
    stripping's not bad once you get used to it...
    the hit your dignity takes is worth the reward. 

I rarely fish with gloves on, so the handle's not an issue for me, although I think they're plenty big to reel with most gloves.
    If it's cold enough to need gloves, (below 20* for me) I'm in the shanty with the heater on...

just used whatever I had laying around for backing...
    I think stren hi-viz green in 12#, and cajun red in 30#.
    depending on how different the diameters are, double surgeon, uni/uni, or albright knots should work.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/09 22:34:04 (permalink)
    I know that a lot of people are swearing that they are the best things going for shallow panfish. Since that is 99% of my ice fishing, I might as well get on the ball and give it a try.

fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Fly Reel on Ice Rod 2012/11/10 09:31:32 (permalink)
    Slab I think that in line ice reel from Eagle Claw is supposed to have a free spool feature, but I can't remember for sure.
    Jump to: