Remember Charlies Boats?

Author
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/22 23:43:51 (permalink)

Remember Charlies Boats?

Been reminiscing lately, funny how getting older does this to you.  How many of you rented a boat from Charlies in Northeast?  
For those of you that never heard of Charlies, it was a real adventure.   They had these very old 16 ft wooden boats, Larson I believe, and 8hp motors.  Since the boat livery was on a very steep rocky beach, they would use a hoist to pick the boat up and place it on a cart that was attached to a winch.  Once everybody was in the boat they would disengage the winch and let the cart roll down the bumpy hill and splash into the lake.  When the livery operator saw you motoring back in he would lower the cart into the lake to retrieve the boat.  Since there was no breakwall in the lake, you would have to fight the Erie waves with the 8hp to get on the cart.

A friend talked me into renting my first of many Charlie boats back in 1984.  If you fished Erie back then you remember the walleye were near shore, 15-25 ft (pre-zebra).  On any given day you had the potential of catching a limit of walleye and a limit of smallmouth in the same stretch of water.

That was my first fishing trip on Erie, and I have been hooked ever since.  Hope I didn't bore you with my story.

Jerry
post edited by JerryS - 2012/10/23 00:31:50

10 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2012/10/23 06:03:48 (permalink)
    Wish I'd gotten to see that operation in action!  Not boring at all, in fact, sounds like it would have actually been pretty cool to experience.

Thanks for sharing the bit of local history!
    fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2012/10/23 09:44:07 (permalink)
    My first lake erie walleye came from one of charlies boats and the last time I was out on one I took my dad on fathersday Blaine I do believe had it then.
    no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2012/10/24 09:34:18 (permalink)
    i also rented charlies boats and as stated
    in foul weather what a time trying to get
    back on dolly.
    but the boats were sturdy and sea worthy
    and we always caught many bass on softshells
      still miss his place and fried baloney sandwitchs
    gonefishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2012/10/24 12:34:23 (permalink)
    Our family (grandparents to grandchildren) rented from Charlie all through the 60s, 70s and early 80s.   We were mainly after yellow perch, but caught the whole Erie variety of course, even an eel one evening.   I always enjoyed that ride down to the lake on the dolly.  Fabulous memories forever.   Charlie always kept the boats and motors in good working order.   Things slipped with time after new owners took the helm.   
    JerryS
    Expert Angler
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2012/10/24 21:43:19 (permalink)
    no-time 
    boats were sturdy and sea worthy

I agree.  They weren't nothing to look at, but you did feel secure on the lake.   Although looking back I can't believe how far we would motor with the 8hp.  It was common for us to end up past Shorewood (5 miles?).  That was back in my 20's, still young and foolish.  Sure got wet coming back east against the wind and waves. 

I remember the first time I took my wife on a Charlie boat (although I am not sure we were married yet).  Not having fished very much, she was really having fun catching the good fighting smallies.  I had just caught a smallmouth, and I asked her to untie the rope stringer from the boat, which already had a couple of bass on it.  At the very moment she got the stringer untied, a smallie bent her pole in half.  In all the excitement she unconsciously put the rope stringer in her mouth and grabbed her pole to set the hook.  I had to tell her she had a slimy fish stringer in her mouth.  Now there's a true fisherman.

Jerry

post edited by JerryS - 2012/10/24 22:37:53
    littleshovellakehouse
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2022/08/16 19:20:53 (permalink)
    I know this thread is 10 years old but figured I'd contribute.  We recently moved in to one of the Orchard Beach cottages and I've been fascinated with the areas history.  I've been collecting old postcards, stories, photos etc. and I've found some really cool stuff.  Just today I received a business card from Charlie's Livery in the mail that I wanted to share with everyone.  This past year all of the I-beams were taken down in front of the boat house.

Also my son and I have been snorkeling and pulling out & cleaning up metal out of the lake in our swimming areas for fun & safety reasons.  (So far the scraps have fetched $70 at recycling!).  Anyway, one day I pulled an axle and what looks like wheels that would be on a track (train, trolley, cart etc).  Maybe it was from one of the boat dollies you all have mentioned! 

Anyway, if anyone has any photos, memorabilia, or other memories from this area please feel free to share them with us!

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2022/08/20 11:44:38 (permalink)
    I hope you find out lots of the history you are seeking! These historical businesses and local personalities are what makes areas special and the memories associated with them make up a big piece of the fabrics of our 'younger days'.
    JerryS
    Expert Angler
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2022/08/20 20:41:39 (permalink)
    littleshovellakehouse
    I know this thread is 10 years old but figured I'd contribute.  We recently moved in to one of the Orchard Beach cottages and I've been fascinated with the areas history.  I've been collecting old postcards, stories, photos etc. and I've found some really cool stuff.  Just today I received a business card from Charlie's Livery in the mail that I wanted to share with everyone.  This past year all of the I-beams were taken down in front of the boat house.

Also my son and I have been snorkeling and pulling out & cleaning up metal out of the lake in our swimming areas for fun & safety reasons.  (So far the scraps have fetched $70 at recycling!).  Anyway, one day I pulled an axle and what looks like wheels that would be on a track (train, trolley, cart etc).  Maybe it was from one of the boat dollies you all have mentioned! 

Anyway, if anyone has any photos, memorabilia, or other memories from this area please feel free to share them with us!

I'm jealous!  I've always felt the lake shore around North East to be the most beautiful.  Whenever I fish Erie I'm launching out of North East Marina or Shades Beach.  The fishing may be better to the west, but catching fish is not my top priority.

The boat cart at Charlies when I was going there (1984-93) had car wheels and tires, which were always flat.  Free-rolling down the steep rocky bank on flat tires was rough ride.  The livery operator would always warn you to hold on before he released the brake.  Maybe the livery used a wheeled track prior to my time there.

Have fun with your cottage.
    post edited by JerryS - 2022/08/20 20:48:14
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3412
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2022/08/20 21:18:25 (permalink)
    My father rented a boat there and we fished for smallmouths with soft shell crabs. That had to be '84 or '85.
    post edited by pensfan1 - 2022/08/21 15:49:05
    FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Remember Charlies Boats? 2022/08/21 12:01:45 (permalink)
    I remember it but never rented from there.
    So here's another wayback......... anyone remember the name of the sport store on Holland St. between 2nd and 3rd? just up from the CYS club. (Around 1956). I lived just around the corner from there and knew the lady whose husband owned it. She would give me the key and go in and buy anything I wanted.  The name of the place has been haunting me for years.
    I can go for hours on this stuff...........  How about Porky's bait stand and the bottom of the hill on State St.?
    Worked there after school and made $10 a week!! I kept the sinkers and bobbers all polished up and made sure the floors were kept clean of all the tobacco spit that Porky would lay down throughout the day.
    post edited by FredT - 2022/08/21 12:11:02
    Jump to: