Beginner

Author
Josh7388
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/19 15:16:52 (permalink)

Beginner

I'd like to try to get into some duck and goose hunting this year but I have no idea how to call and was thinking about trying to jump shoot them or ambush them.

I may get a few decoys but what kind of place would be the best for this? Obviously water but what do you guys look for later in the year

Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:Beginner 2012/10/19 15:35:06 (permalink)
    Lots of good DVD's out there to improve your calling.  Jump shooting on creeks or rivers, or even real small ponds can be fun too, but I prefer shooting birds with their feet down in my decoys.  Nothing against jump shooting, just my personal preference.

A lot of what you're asking depends on where you're at.  If you're around the big water in NWPA - Geneva, Pymy and Erie - and only have a small spread and limited experience, scouting is gonna be the ticket for you. 

Find where the ducks are going when they leave the big water roosts.  If you find a little marsh or swampy area that they're using off the beaten path, you're in bizniss.  If you find a small enough spot that they want to be in, you won't even need decoys and calls.  It could be a farm pond too.  Don't overlook them.  You might not see hundreds of birds like guys that hunt the big water, but if you do your homework and put some miles on your vehicle and shoes, you should get some action on mallards and other puddle ducks that are in the area.  

I have a couple little puddles like this - and I do mean puddles.  They're dry during the summer and fill up in the fall.  Couldn't hunt them last weekend because they were still dry.  But when they fill up, all I have to do is be there at first light.  I put out 6-8 decoys and take my calls, but really don't need either. 

This is what I look for later in the year.  I really don't hunt big water, so can't give you any good advice on that.  Just mostly farm ponds and little seasonal wetlands. 
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Beginner 2012/10/19 15:44:44 (permalink)
    Jumpshooting although effective,is not a widley acceptable method for most serious waterfowlers(IMO) for many reasons.

Decoys can be used in all situations and depends on the circumstances on where to set up or what is best.  If you scout and find birds. There is no need to call when your on the x.  Find the largest body of water around that you are inerested in and observe on a morning or night to see where they land or to where their going.  Do the same with feeding fields. Organize a plan and Hunt.

Most beginners go with an option of joining up with a experiance waterfowler that can teach you. 

Good Luck

Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re:Beginner 2012/10/19 15:48:25 (permalink)
    The small ponds and marshes is most likely I'd be looking for. I'm up real close to edinboro Pa.

I don't think I'd want to try to hunt the big water bc I don want to interfere with the guys that know what they are doing.

I'm also real close to French creek and when I'm in Titusville I'm close to oil creek
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Beginner 2012/10/20 07:26:04 (permalink)
    Josh, don't over look the lake/presque isle. There's about 90 blinds out there and as long as the blind owner isnt there anyone can use any blind.  You just can't get into one before 6 a.m. unless you are the owner. And the owner can throw you out no matter how late he comes, most will invite you to stay. Also, guys will mess with you to try to get you to leave by telling you they're the owners friends, or he's coming in a little while. Stand your ground. NOBODY BUT NOBODY CAN TOSS YOU OUT OF A BLIND BUT THE OWNER, AND IN PERSON!  Blind owners names are posted inside the blinds, you can't miss 'em. If a person says he's the owner, ask to see his license, if he refuses, call the park police. You're gonna need a canoe or a dog. You have to spend the time and learn which blinds there are productive and which aren't. Learn decoy spreads and the importance of wind direction. We love gale winds, the direction depends on where the blind is. This usually isn't a one man show. Hook up with some buddies willing to put the time in. On some days, my buddies and I will set 100 dekes. Took me a few years to get the basics and I'm still learning. Don't be intimidated by the big water. Seeing thousands of migrating waterfowl in the sky and the honking of swans makes it a worthwhile endeavor. And don't forget to sign up for the blind drawing.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Beginner 2012/10/22 08:03:48 (permalink)
    SPOT ON PIKE!  I have been there done that for guys trying to kick you out, I stood my ground, but not fun at all.  Sadley enough, the bullies out there have been hunting that area for a while and are in their own klicks.  Presque Isle offers allot of opportunity which can be ruined by other hunters.  If you don't want to jeopordize your precious hunting days by having it ruined, I would seek other avenues(IMO).
    Jump to: