Gar on the Fly

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/01 20:21:29 (permalink)

Gar on the Fly

Aaaaaaalmost had one...it struck at least a half dozen times, but I couldn't get a solid hookset.  Anyone here try those rope flies?  If so, are they do-able for C&R tactics?  (Basically, once tangled, can you un-tangle the fish quickly and easily enough for the fish to be okay?)  I'm not opposed to tying them up and just cutting the rope pieces to release the fish either.

Any particular style or color or specific rope to use too?  

Also, are they spawning right now?  I'm not familiar with gar habits, but the two I saw seemed to be acting strange.   If they're spawning, disregard the above, I'm not interested in pestering them while they're trying to do their thing.

6 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Gar on the Fly 2012/07/01 20:32:57 (permalink)
    I tried to make my own rope fly....It didn't fly. I couldn't' get it "wrapped in the teeth" for nothin. I went back to my original popper...and amped up the hookset X100. I looked even more ridiculous than usual...I missed at least 100.....had 25- 3 second fights..but In the end I got it done. One of my most rewarding fish to date.

So ya know....some of the strikes I got were more of a closed mouth "bat" at it...no chance for a hookset.

Good luck...it obsessed me till I got it done.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Gar on the Fly 2012/07/01 22:47:00 (permalink)
    Thanks, dUUd.

The strikes I got were, as far as I could tell, legit.  I could see the lighter coloring of the inside of the mouth, so I'm assuming the mouth was open.  The strange part for me was that there were two in close proximity to one another, but none to be found elsewhere in the area.  Of the two, one wanted nothing to do with any fly, while the other would chase/follow anything I threw at it, though it'd only take blue streamers.

Also, for the first take, the fish bit, I tried a hookset, and there was no resistance at all, and I saw my fly sink to the bottom of the pool, apparently bit off.

When I pulled my line in to re-tie, though, my mono-loop was still intact, and there were no signs of abrasion.  I'd say it's possible that somehow I missed the hook eye when I tied my loop (just went through the material), but the loop held up to repeated casting.

My only conclusion is that gar are magic fish.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Gar on the Fly 2012/07/02 10:48:20 (permalink)
    So I did a bit of reading, and it turns out gar spawn in the spring, but have a fairly long spawning season.  Even at that, they should be finished up by now.

Fun fact: According to NatGeo, gar eggs are highly toxic to humans.  Kind of bad**** in my opinion.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re:Gar on the Fly 2012/07/02 12:28:04 (permalink)
    a gar will roll and wack prey with its snout to stun/disoreient it
    you are probably setting the hook too soon

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    Re:Gar on the Fly 2012/07/02 21:26:40 (permalink)
    Ive wanted to target them myself. I was told that entanglement was the best option for getting them on the fly. I have seen them hovering in tribs i fish on eastern end of ontario while targetting bass primarily in june and july. This past april i saw them hovering right at a river mouth at the lake. 2 guys were throwing spoons and rapallas at them and i saw them get one. Never caught one myself, but thought of tying up flies with thick synthetics and a trailer of mono coming off the back of the fly with a treble hook...could help you hook em maybe. Good luck...
    JarodValdez
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Gar on the Flee 2012/07/30 22:41:30 (permalink)
    So ya know....some of the strikes I got were more of a closed mouth "bat" at it...no chance for a hookset.

------------------------------------------------
    Fringe Season 4 DVD
    NCIS Season 9 DVD
    Jump to: