hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...?????

Author
bassboatbill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1194
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/30 11:12:53 (permalink)

hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...?????

SMITH TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- A man was shot early Monday morning in what appears to be a hunting accident in a wooded area of Smith Township, Washington County.

Pennsylvania Game Commission spokeswoman Beth Fife said a hunter heard a gobble, and he doesn't know if it was a turkey or a hunter doing a turkey call, but he saw movement and fired his 12-gauge shotgun and heard a man scream.

It was still dark in the woods near Pleasant Valley and Joffre Cherry Valley roads. The victim was not wearing any orange clothing, and the shooter said he did not see the man.

Fife told Channel 4 Action News reporter Amber Nicotra that it's not a requirement for hunters to wear orange, but it's strongly suggested, especially because warm weather has caused wooded areas to be overgrown, and it's hard to see through the thick woods.

The shooting victim was flown from the scene and is expected to be OK. He has not been publicly identified yet.

Investigators have not determined if any charges will be filed.

The shooter is experienced and has hunted in the area for most of his life without any incidents like this before, Fife said.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/30977237/detail.html#ixzz1tXLYntYk

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

26 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 11:48:23 (permalink)
    "said a hunter heard a gobble, and he doesn't know if it was a turkey or a hunter doing a turkey call, but he saw movement and fired his 12-gauge shotgun and heard a man scream."

Dumbass...
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 12:20:13 (permalink)
    X2 Wat a d bag

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 12:28:23 (permalink)
    And this is why I buy a ButterBall.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 12:38:25 (permalink)
    If it was still dark when he shot as is stated in the article how do they think wearing orange would have made any difference. If the shooter saw movement he saw the man. I wonder how long his beard was. As stated, Dumbass
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 12:52:32 (permalink)
    Hope charges get filed- lots of them too.
        THAT carp is what gives Hunters a bad name and antis ammunition and creates fear of 'hunters' by Urbies. Causes nutso laws bout how we dress and have to act in the woods too- idiot.
      No wonder 'they' accuse all of us of making  'sound shots' an treat us like crazy people with guns- This guy is in fact the enemy of all responsible hunters.
      Next thing ya know ya wont be able to shoot till an hour after sunrise or some other drivel causa people like him.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 13:00:34 (permalink)
    That is exactly why I will not hunt some of my areas this year.  The early green up has it way too thick for me to be comfortable hunting there. 

Really is a shame.  

My rifle is a black rifle
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 13:11:54 (permalink)
    Total shame and total "d" bag move...anxious to see what charges he gets

Hope the other hunter makes a full recovery

HereLilFishy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 13:13:08 (permalink)
    This person neds shot with a 12 guage and see how it fills.He failed to mark his target before he shot.What dumbass,let the charges be filed.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 18:03:09 (permalink)

The shooter is experienced and has hunted in the area for most of his life without any incidents like this before, Fife said.

no charges ... so you can now shoot someone and get NO CHARGES ????? UNBELIEVABLE = if that holds true...

Experienced .. experienced in what ... first rule of hunting is identify your target 100%....

experienced.. I hope he gets some "experience" while in jail for a few days and NIGHTS !!!!

OR at the least gets his****sued for a couple hundred grand...

dumbass is putting it lightly ...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/04/30 18:04:13
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 20:20:45 (permalink)
    Speaking of NIGHTS....it was also dark!

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 20:44:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

And this is why I buy a ButterBall.

+1

Honeysuckle for me though
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 21:46:11 (permalink)
        Sounds like a local PD was the one involved here. That or a Wildlife Officer who wanted to get it court approved correct  as this is likely to go a long way in the courts. This guy may be an idiot but he aint no career criminal whos gonna fly waiting for a warrant to be granted. Also may have been a very long delay trying to get the victems story.
           As a past Cop  can tell ya that most local cops ( SP too) generally have no idea when it comes to Hunting and Fishing stuff.  Where I worked perhaps one in ten hunted and were familiar with the appropriate laws. We generally waited for Wildlife for those kind of incidents.
          If this had been some guy in an alley next to the mall it would have been  ' no brainer' for charges.
         All that said however in all likelyhood they are doing the prudent thing and awaiting the Wildlife folks to come up with the appropriate charges as it was a Hunting incident. An arrest warrant is just as good in a case like this for a pinch- in fact better since it has already been to a Court BEFORE the pinch.
        Better to get it right  than jump in and make an error. Actually after 28 years in that PD  dont ever recall a set of Hunting laws even being there- am sure they were but for somebody to find them would have been interesting.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/05/01 09:39:12
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/04/30 22:24:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

no charges ... so you can now shoot someone and get NO CHARGES ????? UNBELIEVABLE = if that holds true...

Experienced .. experienced in what ... first rule of hunting is identify your target 100%....

experienced.. I hope he gets some "experience" while in jail for a few days and NIGHTS !!!!

OR at the least gets his****sued for a couple hundred grand...

dumbass is putting it lightly ...

Have to agree with Doc.
    There is absolutely no excuse for shooting a man in place of a turkey, none.

One of the reasons I had to quit using the Gobbler tube out back.Every time I hit the darn thing the amish boys would come a sneaking...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 07:39:27 (permalink)
    I heard the WCO insinuate that the victim was partly to fault on three seperate occasions because no FO was worn. Words such as "silly" were thrown out there as well describing a hunter not wearing orange. Also it was stated that it is "strongly suggested" that a hunter wear FO during turkey season.

The subject of FO should not have even come up. It is not required but it is required to identify your target and backdrop before a shot is fired. If the PGC feels that hunters are silly for not wearing orange and strongly suggests it, make it mandatory. Until then, enforce the laws as they are written, not attack the victim via news media.

I am sorry but this really irked me when I saw it.
    post edited by dpms - 2012/05/01 07:43:10

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 09:12:18 (permalink)
    Very unnessary to attack the victim in this case and bring up what they recommend not was is mandatory...and it was also stated that it was still dark...another voilation and FO..would have been useles

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 09:42:09 (permalink)
    Unfortunately typical of our 'modern' society--blame the victim.
        BTW- gotta ask--- assuming (probably a mistake) that the shooter was right when he said he heard a gobble before his idiotic error.
      How many of you do a Gobble call in the AM during gobbler season while set up in the very early dark AM ??
        NOT making excuses for the dummy here - just wondering if anybody does that- I never have --and not cause of any safety issues.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/05/01 09:48:40
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 10:09:21 (permalink)
    Personally, I never use a gobble call. With that said, gobbles from real birds are common in the pre-dawn hours. Probably heard a bird gobble, and tried to stalk the sound.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 10:54:29 (permalink)
    You pull the trigger, no one did it for you. If the victum dies it's murder! Plain and simple.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 11:16:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Litl Dude

You pull the trigger, no one did it for you. If the victum dies it's murder! Plain and simple.

Litl Dude I responded to your email and it bounced back Your PM box must be full too

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 12:03:17 (permalink)
         More likely a manslaughter charge if a death occured- in this case perhaps PAs version of a serious reckless endangerment- thats down from Murder- No intent to kill a person- that endangerment kinda charge reflects a disregard for safety and still packs a serious punch in the Courts.
      Buddy of mine- tongue in cheek- used to say if ya really wanna kill somebody an not go to prison for the rest  of your life-takem hunting
      That is NOT a reflection of these events just a parody of how different the Criminal and Wildlife laws can get.
          For example if yur shootin it out with your drug dealing competition on the street someplace and hit a bystander one thing happens and if ya shoot another Deer hunter the result can be quite different.
      BTW- kinda agree with DPMs version of events.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/05/01 12:12:39
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 12:28:30 (permalink)
    Unacceptable from the shooter. On the flip side, shaking a gobble call during turkey season is simply asking to find out which Dumas is going to pull the trigger on you. The only thing I have seen worse is when guys practice "fanning" (Intrepid Outdoors showed that one). Holy F... you talk about asking to get shot
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 13:27:56 (permalink)

Blacktop Charters
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 13:49:54 (permalink)
    That would be pretty close to it...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 16:48:43 (permalink)
    Just watched the video- speaks for itself
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/01 21:45:18 (permalink)
    I can recall being stocked 7 times by another hunter, when using decoys. Four times while turkey hunting, twice in Archery, and once when Duck hunting. The decoys have fooled more people, than animals. How can you mistake a human for a turkey, when a human walks upright, and stands 6 ft. tall. He is 100% guilty because he didn't identify his target. I bet he wished he bought a butter ball.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: hunter shot....dark and shot at a "gobble"...????? 2012/05/15 15:43:10 (permalink)
    Identify your target - period!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Jump to: