Opening Day

Author
JGK
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/16 15:10:40 (permalink)

Opening Day

My Dad and I fished the 7 Mountains Boy Scout Dam this past Saturday. We started going there more than 15 years ago b/c it was easier access for my Grandfather. We've gone back every year b/c it's tradition and it's nice to see the same people year after year.

All said, it was a great Opening Day. A couple things I noticed:
1. The stock trout were amazing. Ever since PFBC moved to stocking larger trout, the fish have been great, but this year seemed even more exceptional. I've never seen that many large trout pulled out of this small lake. I easily saw 2 dozen trout that appeared to be (at a minimum) 14" in length and running about 1 lb, with some that were considerably larger. Kudos to the Fish Commission.
2. PFBC always lists the Boy Scout Dam as being only stocked with Brook trout, but we were pulling out Rainbows and the occasional Brown. I guess they changed it up...

On the negative side, a couple of favorite spots are now off limits:
1. On Sunday, we fished Bald Eagle w/ not even a nibble, though a lot of trout were hitting flies on the surface. If you come down off 99 at the Waddle Exit and make a right onto Alt 220, there's a pull off about 100 yds down. Just beyond that, there's a great hole on the other side of a farm field. I noticed that the Fish Commission access sign is gone and the area now appears to be posted. Anyone know why this has changed?

3. Penns Creek. Just outside of Spring Mills, there's a great section of stream that runs along Kline road. From an old railroad bridge to the intersection of Kline and Penns Creek Road has always been good fishing. Unfortunately it is now locally controlled and you have to get a seperate permit. Somehow I doubt that they're stocking to the level PFBC was. These restrictions just lead to more pressure on the stocked areas. I don't live in the area anymore so coming back and finding great water restricted is depressing.

All that aside, it was another great Opening Day. 35 years in a row of fishing with my Dad!

1 Reply Related Threads

Ninja of the Steel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Opening Day 2014/03/02 18:18:17 (permalink)
    Keep buying those licenses to support PFBC! :)

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
    Jump to: