What have you learned?

Author
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/12 21:25:51 (permalink)

What have you learned?

After fishing oil today I started thinking back at what I've learned over the years and I learned something today. Today there were only a few bugs to be seen, as well as a lone riser or two. After nymphing some fast water with a few fish to hand, I quickly got bored. I tied on one of the 30, dano antron secret's that I tied yesterday and started casting. Quickly a fish rose and took my fly, than another and another. For a few hrs I mosied around the DHALO (bait dunkers not allowed) and caught a lot of fish on top that never rose before my fly hit the water. This being I said, I've learned something today, just because there is no hatch to match, dont be afraid to toss a few different bugs until you get a trout's interest. What have you guys learned recently from your time on the water?

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.

7 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/12 22:41:04 (permalink)
    krott, i figured that out a long time ago. you can ask anyone i've fished with. i fish dries more often to no hatches than anyone i've ever seen on the water, and i catch fish on the dry. maybe not as many beneath as the nymph fishermen might but i enjoy catching them on dries more than nymphs anyway.
    think of it this way. fish have been rising for the past week for the grannoms. sometimes as long as there are a few on the water there is a good chance you'll find fish to rise to the imitation. the other thing is if i see one fish rise, i'll still cast blindly, maybe there just isn't a natural in the area that there are no risers yet.
    fish dries more often and the fish will rise.
    glad to hear you had a good day dry fly fishing! ~DT

on windy warm days a beetle, ant or spider works well around bankside bushes or under bridges, even when nothing is rising also.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2012/04/12 22:42:47

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/12 23:30:29 (permalink)
    I rember a guy saying to me...make them rise...you the man DT.

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/13 00:14:00 (permalink)
    It makes it more interesting because you really have to be on your toes and always expect a take. I figure that there has been grannoms regularly, so they want to eat, but if there is no hatch they have nothin on top to eat. I think the sporadic bug coming off today helped, once they saw the fly hit the water they were after it.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/13 07:55:13 (permalink)
    Wait about two weeks, go to any stocked trout stream, tie on a # 14 EHC or Adams, and start walking upstream tossing it at any likely looking spot.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/13 09:23:33 (permalink)
    That same lesson..

DT's advice "You can make em rise" has put some fish on the bank for me more than once..

Those sporadic hatches, few here few there, have been the best times for me.
    Get a little frustrated when the clouds of bugs during a hatch blanket the water and they have so much food..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/13 10:26:48 (permalink)
    DT,
    Late in the season last fall, I put on one of your mutant stone dries. Caught a real nice brook trout that move at least three feet from under a log to crush it. There wasn't a bug to be seen. I have caught two stone fly hatches so far this year. The first one was with freshly stocked fish, and they would have nothing of it. The second time was a week and a half later, and apparently the stockies had figured out that they weren't being fed any more. I change up a good bit. I have found that sometimes you can only fool them once or twice per pattern.

Fishmonger
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: What have you learned? 2012/04/13 23:14:35 (permalink)
    Paul,
    I think all the time you're putting in on the stream gaining experience, casting, drift , reading water etc. has more to do with your success than the fly pattern you chose.
    post edited by dano - 2012/04/14 04:27:27
    Jump to: