Author
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/24 08:55:43 (permalink)

luxury beach and fishing destinations

Hi gents,

I know a few of you have done this or have at least drooled over web pages of the like. My wife and I are doing ~2 weeks on the beach for our anniversary at the end of May. We normally take one big holiday per year and this is the one for us this year. We have been looking at the Maldives and have found some nice resorts. Normally when we go somewhere, I like to take a fly rod and fish from the beach for whatever I can find. I'm not picky and I don't need a lot to keep me entertained (small jacks, bottom fish, etc are fine). However, in reading up, I see that beach fishing isn't possible in the maldives as they are protected. So now I'm looking for recommendations of places to go.

What she wants: 10-12 nights, nice beach with a nice pool nearby, all inclusive package with wine/spirits, a selection of food (i.e. more than 2 restaurants at the hotel or external restaurants nearby), basically a luxury beach holiday

what I want: under £5k including flights, similar food amenities above, the opportunity to fish at will with the reasonable expectation that I'm not wasting my time, a guide for a day or two at a reasonable rate would be a nice to have, basically enough luxury holiday for her with some fishing around

The seychelles have come to mind though everything I've seen has been expensive as soon as you include any fishing. I've thought Belize could be nice since I know the fishing is good and plentiful. The same goes for most of the caribbean. Thailand has come up as our #2 choice (not thinking of fishing) as we love it there, though the fishing is a bit limited from what I see.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

7 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/02/24 09:01:55 (permalink)
    St. John, US Virgin Islands? On St. John you can get the all inclusive, although I don't know the costs, I've rented a house, when I've gone. over 50% of the island is national forest/park. There are lots of small secluded beaches to hike into, snorkel and reef or flats fish from shore. There are several flats as well. I know of at least one fly guide who works there. Gorgeous, mellow, fun place. The main town you can walk everywhere, safe, tons of restaurants/bars. Any all inclusive places would be close to the town side of the island.

Baja Mexico?

Belize? I'm sure belieze is cheaper than St. John, but I don't know anything about Belize.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/02/25 05:05:08 (permalink)
    Check out Nevis.

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/02/26 22:07:52 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good decision to have in front of you. I would be surprised if you could find decent r/t flights to the seychelles for 2 people at less than 5k. Much less exotic, but I have heard long island in the bahamas has some knockout beaches with bonefish around. I know there are some big posh all inclusives in the yucatan where you can sometimes see tailing fish from your balcony while enjoying your huevos--that would be my vote.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/02/27 11:41:35 (permalink)
    OC,

I can get to the Seychelles for £600 as we're already in the UK and flying from here. I can get a flight to most anywhere on Emirates for about £600. The problem with the sechelles is that once you get there everything is expensive.

The wife has ruled out the bahamas since she's been a few times before.

It is looking more like Maldives is the spot for price and value for money (granted a lot of money). I will have to hire a boat for the day or take out a hotel kayak beyond the reef if I want to fish.

Thanks,
    Rick
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/02/27 12:47:22 (permalink)
    Rick,

I have fished a few days in Belize, which was one of your choices.  Both were trips day trips (arrived via cruise ship) that I planned, so I can't help you out with the acommodations part.  It blew like a b#^*^ both times (first week of March).  The first trip the water was so riled up, you couldn't see the bottom on three feet on the flats.  We had flown from Belize City (yep, on a day trip) to Ambigris and went out of the southern end town of San Pedro.  I think if I weren't ent on tarpon, we could have found bones in protected water.  You might want to look into the northerne end of the island.  It is more resort-y.  San Pedro definately is not.

The second trip we didn't even attempt to go the islands from Belize City because of the wind and just went to the Belize River.  Saw some out-of-range baby tarpon and that was that.  Was disappointingly guided by the Belize River Lodge. 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/03/01 10:09:03 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Well it is sorted out now. I did check all of the suggestions above so thank you for them. In the end, the Maldives gave us the right combination of luxury and price that we were looking for. While there is no beach fishing from the resport islands, you are allowed to fish outside of the reef and from the deserted islands. So the plan is to find a few local uninhabited islands and hire a boat to take me/pick me up. I will also try to fish from a kayak (free at the resort) out past the reef. We'll see how it goes. There are some bonefish around and a bunch of trevally (both bluefin and giant). the reefs seem to offer baracuda and various other fishes. I think this will be a 10 wt trip for sure. Being attached to a 50 lb GT while in a sea kayak could be an interesting experience. Of course pictures will be forthcoming in June after the trip.

Thanks,
    Rick
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: luxury beach and fishing destinations 2012/03/01 11:05:31 (permalink)
    Can't wait to see the photos.  Best of Luck!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: