waders

Author
bowmandjk
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/29 16:51:12 (permalink)

waders

Ive got neopreme for winter and some real lite weights for my float tube in summer but looking for spring and fall. I looked at frogtoggs pilot and simms freestone any help would be welcome i always worry about leaks on some brands

any day of fishing is a gift

12 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: waders 2012/01/29 18:48:04 (permalink)
    I got a pair of LL Beans last spring. They worked great for a few months, but some time in late summer/early fall, they developed a leak behind the left knee. I emailed their customer service and they said they'd be happy to repair/replace at no cost to me other than shipping to them. I thought it seemed a little too simple, so I asked her if they'd have someone there evaluate them and whether it was manufacturing defect or abuse, and she said no, that their warranty covers any aspect of the product that affects customer satisfaction in any way. Though I have yet to send them in, that was pretty reassuring.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: waders 2012/01/29 19:18:47 (permalink)
    Cold, what brand were those you had in erie? I was looking at the Frog Toggs for $99 but not sure of the after sales on them.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    hendey lathe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 952
    RE: waders 2012/01/29 20:13:20 (permalink)
    Bowman, if your considering Simms Freestones, Madison River Fishing Co. has them on sale for $129.99. My first pair of Simms Lightweights (discontinued) lasted 11 seasons. I've been very happy Simms products. I know many people have had both good & bad luck with whatever wader they buy, so I guess this is just my two cents worth. I'd just suggest that you measure yourself as a tailor would to get the best fit. I feel a lot of wader failures is due more to improper fit or improper care when not in use. I always hang mine to dry and turn them inside out. Mold is a real killer to any wader. If you can afford it, I'd get a Gore-Tex wader, its easy to care for.
    I'm not familiar with Simms Quadra-Lam material, but I think it's a coating on the fabric, not anything like true Gore-Tex. Hope whatever you decide on serve you well and lasts a long time for you. Good luck, Matt.
    BehrendFisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: waders 2012/01/29 21:42:52 (permalink)
    Hey I have a pair of the frogg togg pilots and I am currently on my third replacement pair. The first pair started leaking within 6 months. The replacement pair leaked from the beginning. I could dump a gallon of water out of each leg after a day of fishing. Something with the seams around the knees fails pretty badly, not just small leaks. I am very careful with my waders and wore the same pair of neopremes for close to 8 years. Just go with the simms, I know that's what my next pair will be.

Edit: Oh and just for the record, frogg toggs has about the worst customer service I have found. Wouldn't even pay for the return shipping on the leaky replacement waders they sent me. Even though they said they made a note on my account, shipped both pairs of replacement waders to my old address causing me to drive 2 hours to retrieve them as well.
    post edited by BehrendFisher - 2012/01/29 21:49:35

http://erieangling.blogspot.com/
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: waders 2012/01/29 23:07:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

Cold, what brand were those you had in erie? I was looking at the Frog Toggs for $99 but not sure of the after sales on them.

Waist-high? Those were the beans.

Also, bowman, my post comes from a fisherman who regularly beats the tar out of his waders. I hike through brush, kneel in them, get them dirty, and put em away wet. If they cant hold up to that punishment, I don't want them in the first place.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: waders 2012/01/29 23:30:21 (permalink)
    The simms freestones at madison river on closeout are midget sized. looked at them 2 months back.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: waders 2012/01/30 10:11:22 (permalink)
    I am looking to get a pair of the waist high frogg toggs from fishusa the next time I am in the market. I have frogg toggs now, one pair began to leak, sent in the new pair and these ones are doing great except for the 4" gash I tore in the butt... some stitches and some shoo goo and they are back to being dry as a bone! I am planning on the waist highs because I don't go above that and when I get to berry depth, I look for a different place to fish/cross.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: waders 2012/01/30 11:10:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hendey lathe

I'd just suggest that you measure yourself as a tailor would to get the best fit. I feel a lot of wader failures is due more to improper fit or improper care when not in use.  Hope whatever you decide on serve you well and lasts a long time for you. Good luck, Matt.

with that being said,

i got a pair of lightweights from white river. that's practicaly all i ever wore is hip waders. i found that the one's from white river are more to my liking. they have more room for wearing clothes underneath than other brands, yet not too bulky during the summer. there is much more around the **** area so when you're climbing over tree trunks or slip some in the water it gives more. most of my waders leaked at the seams in this area. some lightweight waders don't have an extra layer to toughen up the material.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2521
    RE: waders 2012/01/30 11:30:37 (permalink)
    Simms.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

schmoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: waders 2012/01/30 22:26:11 (permalink)
    I found the Frog Toggs on They only have about 7 days of fishing on them, but so far, so good. I'm pretty hard on waders - they normlly end up being nearly covered in Goop, but so far, these ones have been dry, comfortable, and functional.
    fisher98
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: waders 2012/01/31 21:53:54 (permalink)
    I had a leaky pair of frogg toggs that were brand new.
    BHbugger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: waders 2012/02/01 07:41:39 (permalink)
    I bought a pair of hodgmans with the waterproof zipper (can't remember the name/model) for like 150 bucks at****s this past fall. Used them a bunch all fall and even winter and no problems so far. I'm a fat guy and the 2xl were nice and roomy too. I will say one thing. Never again will I own waders without a zipper.

"My only fear is that when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
    Jump to: