Fly line.

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/09 17:14:29 (permalink)

Fly line.

Can't seem to get more than 5-6 months out of a fly line.
Found a bunch of cracks in my 7wt line.

I clean it about every 3 trips and hit it with line dressing.
I hear of some guys getting years out of a line.

Not buying the top of the line, but not bargain basement either.

Any suggestions ???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

18 Replies Related Threads

PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 00:09:38 (permalink)
    I seen a SA oike musky taper start cracking after 4 weeks of use. If ya step on it and fishin in shale or rough stream bottoms its gonna happen. I very rarely clean my lines. I have a streamer express line that seen more casts this summer outta my 10wt. than most cast in 5 yrs. I havent cleaned or dressed it. And its goodas new, well ok its a little dirty....

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 01:17:56 (permalink)
    You might fish more than most???

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 09:14:11 (permalink)
    extreme temps... lines with crack if left in the hot or cold (trunk of car)

water condition... dirty water= dirty line... ice= freeze thaw in a pourous material (think pot holes)

depends on the brand/ model

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 10:35:33 (permalink)
    Bings, what line are you using?
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 13:48:09 (permalink)
    Try a top of the line, I believe the airflo are the most durable out there? Maybe try one of those.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 15:54:26 (permalink)
    Last one was a Scientific Anglers, Aircel, Trout 6-7 wt.
    Got about 6 months out of it. Still using it but will get a new one come spring.

Line before that was a SA GPX 6wt.Got 6-7 months out if it before it was cracked all to heck.
    Extreme conditions from last winter may have been the demise of this one. Did throw alot of frozen rope.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 16:16:22 (permalink)
    I've been throwing a SA GPX on my 4wt for a year and a half, bings...in that time, when it wasn't on the water, it was in the trunk of my car...while it's not like fishing a brand new line, it's still holding up just fine, and I have no immediate plans to replace it.

I'm thinking you just probably are punishing your line more by fishing on all that shale and in harsher conditions than I use my line in.

Shoot an email to SA, see what they have to say. Worst case, they may tell you you fish too much...best case, they send you a replacement that you can use for the next 6-7 months.
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 17:26:01 (permalink)
    Bings, I'm a fan of Cortland and usually get a few years out of them. Have SA lines as well, but seem to get more use from my Cortland....... Dan, do I get credit for the Cortland plug

KJH is right, a lot of factors can cause  cracks and wear. Have had them crack from all of them.

Cleaning, uhhhh, I figure the dirt and grime gives it a protective barrier.LOL I usually do it twice a year.

I have a 7wt or five laying around if you want to give one a permanent test drive

Hope all is well

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/10 21:59:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Last one was a Scientific Anglers, Aircel, Trout 6-7 wt.
    Got about 6 months out of it. Still using it but will get a new one come spring.

Line before that was a SA GPX 6wt.Got 6-7 months out if it before it was cracked all to heck.
    Extreme conditions from last winter may have been the demise of this one. Did throw alot of frozen rope.

Bings; try matching a rod up with a line that will allow you to cast/fish with out much stripping in when setting up for next cast... this will prevent wear and tare... especially in the winter months...

For lines, I always liked hardy but it seems as if they are making them different now. Haven't tried the new ones yet. But they have always performed well for me.

Cortland precision is my most recent line and seems alright so far...

Tight lines...

post edited by dimebrite - 2012/01/10 22:00:55
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 09:40:36 (permalink)
    For lines, I always liked hardy but it seems as if they are making them different now. Haven't tried the new ones yet. But they have always performed well for me.

Who makes Hardy's lines for them? Might be a good place to start to find a replacement if you don't like the newer ones.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 09:50:43 (permalink)
    Long story short.I have a Scientific Anglers aircel on my 7 wt. Kids got the wife a kitten for her birthday. I was cleaning my line last week. Kitten thought line was something to play with, bit the line in half with one stroke. Didn't kill the cat, but wanted to. Seriously I do think that the shale and slate are major contributors to line damage. I like the SA aircels. Inexpensive, but don't stand up to sharp cat teeth!  

Fishmonger
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 10:15:44 (permalink)
     6mos for a $20/$25 fly line is not that bad

since we are talking SA...

the mastery textured is like $80
    youd be hard pressed to get 2 yrs out of that line with consistant fishing
    but you can get 4 aircels that last 6mo for the same price and will last you 2 year
    (plus you'de be fishing a new line every 6mo)

same with a Cortland line
    $65/$70 will get you a top teir line
    which will perform better and last longer

also the more expensive lines will give you better coatings and tapers... a better performing line

it comes down to personal choice
    the "precieved value" of a $25 line that will wear out in 6mo
    a $70-$80 line that will perform better and last 12mos (maybe longer)

I'm sure someone with more "line knowledge" will chime in
    post edited by KJH807 - 2012/01/11 10:16:31

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 10:43:11 (permalink)
    from fishing a few different brand lines this is my conclusion.

i found Orvis line is bigger in diameter than other lines of the same weight. because of this i had to shorten my backing. also i have found orvis lines get stiffer in colder weather.
    Cortland i find stays limber in cold weather. Cortland has a chart about what lines are best for colder weather and which are for warmer climates. i've had my 444 lines hold up the longest.
    SA lines get a little stiffer and retains coils in colder weather. they do seem to have a harder coating. like cold said, even though mine developed a few cracks it was still usable for some time.
    i got a new WF Sage line. it stays soft in the colder weather and shoots line out like any i have tried. how long it will last i'm not sure.

some things i found that damaged my lines.
    1. stepping on it doesn't help it!
    2. i found to not over spool your lines. meaning that when winding in fly line make sure it doesn't scrap against the line guard on the reel. i believe this scrapes the coating off.
    3. keep insect repellant and such off the fly line.
    4. in freezing weather, besides using lip balm on the rod guides, i coat a good section of the fly line. this keeps water off the line longer and keeps from freezing up.
    5. speaking of line guards, check to make sure that the guard isn't worn or scratched. i had to replace my line guard on my original battenkill reel, wore a groove in my graphite clearwater reel, and starting to wear a groove in my mid arbor which isn't replaceable. not sure why mine wear, it must be me because i havn't heard about this from anyone else and even Orvis couldn't believe i worn the guide in their reels.
    5. i'm sure the cold weather and ice puts some undo wear on it also.
    6. my fly lines stay in my vehicles most of the year but they are in a case and i keep them out direct sunlight.

i admit these are the only brands i've used mostly being i can usualy find these on sale.
    KJH brings up a good point, it comes down to personal choice. 
    i'd rather have two or three new lines for the price as compaired to an expensive line that lasts just as long. same way with my waders and wading boots.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2012/01/11 10:57:55

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 15:08:03 (permalink)
    Another thing to check is your rod quides. I have had to replace quides due to wear. Mostly using sinking lines and sinktips. One thing I do for steelhead fishing is take and old line and reverse the line using the running line for the tip. It is not like you need the wf tip for chuck and duck.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 15:23:06 (permalink)
    2. i found to not over spool your lines. meaning that when winding in fly line make sure it doesn't scrap against the line guard on the reel. i believe this scrapes the coating off.

+1

If you're using a LA or wide reel, this is more of a concern, as you can get a bunch of line built up on one side or the other of the spool if you aren't paying attention. I put a nice scrape on a new line once by doing this.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 17:29:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BugDrifter

Bings, I'm a fan of Cortland and usually get a few years out of them. Have SA lines as well, but seem to get more use from my Cortland....... Dan, do I get credit for the Cortland plug

Haha. You get credit. Stop at the booth if you heading to the NJ show.
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 20:52:30 (permalink)
    Dan see you at the show friday.

Good info from all/ Bings I hope it helped

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line. 2012/01/11 22:16:47 (permalink)
    Sure did. Much appreciated guys, Thanks....

Jump to: