"Mallards Fury"

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/26 07:57:18 (permalink)

"Mallards Fury"

Last year, a friend of mine gave me a bag of feathers from a mallard his son shot during duck season. Never really looked through them until recently when I came across several of the feathers that come from the rump/tail area of the bird. The curve of the feather kind of intrigued me and I wondered how it would "look on a hook". I tried all different things to make it work and alot of my ideas just didn't pan out. So after starting over and over again - I came up with this and in the process - I just let my mind drift away from the "rules" of tying the classic pattern. Lost my temper a few times and often - I thought of just giving up and letting it go. In the end - well here it is. Thought I'd share it and I hope ya like it.  I called it "Mallards Fury" because of all the grief two of these feathers gave me.

Here's the type of feather that tested my sanity:

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

6 Replies Related Threads

ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: "Mallards Fury" 2011/12/26 18:23:55 (permalink)
    steely,
    I definitely think artist need to step outside the box to see clearly.You are definitely outside.Very nice tie
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: "Mallards Fury" 2011/12/26 21:15:25 (permalink)
    Nice tie, looks like a challenging feather to work with. I think tying the second topping behind herl would be more pleasing to the eye, still think its another great fly!
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: "Mallards Fury" 2011/12/27 07:24:21 (permalink)
    Bruce - agree with you on the second crest. When I tied this one - everything was so off the wall - and I thought - wonder how a second topping would look in front of the herl. When I added it - I kind of liked it. Now I wish I wouldn't have but that's whats great about this - ya just never know what direction it can take ya. 

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: "Mallards Fury" 2011/12/27 11:29:20 (permalink)
    Very cool...I bet a woody would make a neat tie.

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: "Mallards Fury" 2011/12/28 20:14:54 (permalink)
    I dont care what anyone says. You are definitely a fly tying artist machine.

Beautiful fly !!!   You have a keen eye for the details and artistry of the tie.

If you hadnt said how you rattled your brain I would have thought youve tied them all the time. 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    bear-kodiak
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: "Mallards Fury" 2012/01/01 11:17:55 (permalink)
    Very nice
    Jump to: