Idea for the PGC

Author
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/14 19:58:18 (permalink)

Idea for the PGC

I see that the PGC offers habitat days where hunters come and do work on SGLs.

They have a fairly small turnout usually.

How about offering something to these volunteers?

Maybe allow anyone doing this for a day to send for doe tags a week earlier.
Two days gets you a basic hunting license for the next year.
Volunteers with more than 30 days of service would get a lifetime license.

Its cheap compared to paying a State worker and would increase turnout, providing much better habitat.

Just a thought.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

9 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:02:02 (permalink)
    Is that what today's sportsmmen have become.. don't want to volunteer to do work that would benefit the sport of hunting and other hunters without some sort of reward... ???

And folks think at times I post "bad" things about today's hunters ...

One of the work days I was on was a GREAT time.. sharing stories about hunting, places to hunt, tips, etc with fellow hunters.. a great meal.. and the pleasure of tearing down private property.. no hunting signs and replacing them with " Welcome to PGC state game lands" open to hunting...
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:07:07 (permalink)
    and the pleasure of tearing down private property.. no hunting signs and replacing them with " Welcome to PGC state game lands"

Actually that sounds like the Eastern Block to me. I can hear your chains rattle. I really wish there was no public land.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:17:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Is that what today's sportsmmen have become.. don't want to volunteer to do work that would benefit the sport of hunting and other hunters without some sort of reward... ???

And folks think at times I post "bad" things about today's hunters ...

One of the work days I was on was a GREAT time.. sharing stories about hunting, places to hunt, tips, etc with fellow hunters.. a great meal.. and the pleasure of tearing down private property.. no hunting signs and replacing them with " Welcome to PGC state game lands" open to hunting...

Refer to the $100 deer tag thread.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:17:57 (permalink)
    so you would rather have private landowners post their land no hunting or lease it...
    not allowing free access to hunters... ??

WOW what would that do to the traditional Pa deer hunting scene .. can you say TEXAS
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:18:49 (permalink)
    Over half the land around here is posted.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:23:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

so you would rather have private landowners post their land no hunting or lease it...
    not allowing free access to hunters... ??

WOW what would that do to the traditional Pa deer hunting scene .. can you say TEXAS

If the government didn't own 40% of the land, including most of the best land, most ordinary people would be able to afford a couple hundred acres of their own land to do with as they please. Before TVA, etc. many dirt farmers, who were poorer than poor, had 40, 90, 120 acres of their own land...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/14 21:33:16 (permalink)
    I would not even take the $100 if I harvested a tagged animal... I'd be happy giving them the info and would just be happy knowing what they could tell me about the animal.. where was it tagged, when, etc...

I know a guy who just this year did just that turned the $100 for a turkey band into a donation to the PGC....

sorry -- BUT === I even told RSB that when I helped tag turkeys with them ... it was a shame that the PGC had to reward (PAY) guys for giving them info that could be use to make hunting even better understood and possibly better in the future.....

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/15 07:51:46 (permalink)
    It's not the PGC that is paying for the returned turkey tags. It is the wild turkey federation.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Idea for the PGC 2011/12/15 16:08:10 (permalink)
    Fact of the matter is that the WCO and the other PGC personell make substantially more than the average workers that come to these and do it for free.

Quite honestly, since I quit hunting waterfowl and for the most part pheasants, I haven't utilized an SGL for hunting, so I don't have any skin in this.

There is nothing wrong with giving someone a little perk that costs less than 2 bucks an hour.  The PGC probably pays 20 times that to it's employees in wages, benefits, WC, retirement etc.

JMO.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Jump to: