durable ice auger

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/01 23:43:26 (permalink)

durable ice auger

Each year in Brainerd,Minn.,the JC's hold an ice derby where they drill approx.20,000 - 25,000 holes through approx.24" of ice. Last year 30-2 man teams used Strikemaster lazer Mag augers with 2.5hp solo engines with 8" stainless steel blades.It takes 10-15 seconds per hole. This was reported in this Months issue of "The In-Fisherman". sam

17 Replies Related Threads

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 07:19:07 (permalink)
    Sam, i sold my lazer mag two seasons ago and kept my electra 1200. Put a 6" auger on it and get almost twice as many holes now. Only problem is it's awfully darn heavy. Getting too old to pull all my toys out plus the auger. May have to sell it and get a strikelight 4 stroke. That lazer mag did kick butt tho.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 09:14:40 (permalink)
    I have a Nils Master power auger with an 8" bit...I haven't seen anything that gives better performance for the weight. At about 20# for the powerhead and auger, it transports nicely and this thing blazes through the ice. Available at FishUSA.
    post edited by Bogeyjoker - 2011/12/03 10:08:26
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 09:25:47 (permalink)
    Ive had my Strikemaster Lazor Mag for years now 5 at lest maybe more not a single issue and it cuts holes my the dozens in seconds like a hot knife thru butter.Same baldes still also.Didnt even drain last years gas out while getting my gear ready for this year I took it outside pulled the cord and lo and behold the thing fired rite up!!!!!!!!!!!

icenut(Bill)
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 09:35:18 (permalink)
    I've asked this question on here before, but I'm still wavering. I'm buying a power auger this year. What are your recommendations?

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    mote1977
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 10:47:29 (permalink)
    I just bought an Eskimo Stingray after reading great reviews about them on another site. I haven't had it on the ice yet but I'm loving iot already. It starts on the first pull almost every single time and is lighter than alot of the others. It was alot cheaper than most of the others also. I picked mine up on the big auction site direct from Ardisam(the manufacturer). It was labeled as refurbished, #2 condition but it looks and runs brand new to me. I paid just under $200 for mine including shipping.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 10:55:00 (permalink)
    I would suggest again this year, that you ask guys that are on the ice if you can try thiers,most guys will readily agree,that way you can get hands on experience.That is how I got my Strikemaster. As Chauncy pointed out,weight can be important, then you must decide what size auger you want. Although the 6"is prob.best for panfish,I like the 8" because I fish outside & it seems to me that the 6" freezes over quicker. sam
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

I've asked this question on here before, but I'm still wavering. I'm buying a power auger this year. What are your recommendations?

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 10:56:42 (permalink)
    Although the 6"is prob.best for panfish,I like the 8" because I fish outside & it seems to me that the 6" freezes over quicker. sam

I am pretty much set on 8 inch or a little larger. When I set tip ups for pike or lake trout, I don't want to fudge up a nice fish by having too small of a hole...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 11:02:42 (permalink)
    I would suggest again this year, that you ask guys that are on the ice if you can try thiers,most guys will readily agree,that way you can get hands on experience.That is how I got my Strikemaster. As Chauncy pointed out,weight can be important, then you must decide what size auger you want.

I've tried a couple different augers out on the ice. But I'm also concerned with durability. An auger might be great on the ice, but lasts like shiznat. I plan on having it for a long time. What are the most durable models?

- T. Fleming
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2515
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/02 13:19:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ICE NUT

Ive had my Strikemaster Lazor Mag for years now 5 at lest maybe more not a single issue and it cuts holes my the dozens in seconds like a hot knife thru butter.Same baldes still also.Didnt even drain last years gas out while getting my gear ready for this year I took it outside pulled the cord and lo and behold the thing fired rite up!!!!!!!!!!!

icenut(Bill)

Not trying to stick my nose in but for what's it worth, here goes. I had trouble with my 3 HP Jiffy towards the end of ice last spring. It wouldn't build up RPM's and I had to keep feathering the throttle in order to get a hole punched through the ice. Took it to the shop a week ago to have it repaired. Turns out the carb was full of gunk and the plug wire was not fully seated. Cost me 15 bucks to get fixed. Was advised to drain fuel at end of season and run it dry and also to run aviation gas instead of regular pump gas. Av gas contains NO ethanol. Supposed to run 24:1 mix as per instructions on tank. I was advised a long time ago before I switched to synthetic oil to use 4 oz's of oil per gallon instead of 5. For the past couple of years I run synthetic oil, 2.6 oz's to 1 gallon of gas. Not sure how long I have had this auger, 12 years or so I guess, maybe longer, same blades, and this is the first problem I have had with it, other than getting the carb adjusted shortly after I bought it. Did replace the plug once. Got the av gas yesterday. Whew, $5.50 a gallon!!!! Guess I'll never own a plane. Hope someone finds this info helpfull.
    post edited by bigfoot - 2011/12/02 15:27:12

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/07 12:19:08 (permalink)

Keep in mind that the smaller the hole , the easier it will be to use . This is more evident with hand augers , but it still applies to gas  . Consider weight also . While a 2# weight difference seems minimal , it will be noticable before the end of the day , especially so if you are moving around . As was already written , inform other anglers on the ice that you are seriously considering purchasing an auger and if they would mind if you could drill a hole or two to see how it performs . Magazines can be a good source for info also . You want an auger that can be easily serviced when the need arises . You want to get parts that are readily available . Most of this info has been repeated in one way or another by others . As with anything , take care of your equipment ! ! ! Service regularly . As it has been said , an ounce of prevention ... . Good Luck ! 
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/07 13:18:55 (permalink)
    HANDS-DOWN !!!! Nils Master Manual Auger 1600--2000 holes a season.. 4TH season on original set of blades.. Not to mention the paint on the spirals is still in - tact.. ( not the same story with my lazer )
    post edited by nw/jigmaster - 2011/12/12 22:20:50

Fish On !!!
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/14 19:39:14 (permalink)
    If anyone is selling theres let me know :) my dad just bought one and I'm jealous so now i gotta get one.. And i need a finder
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/15 20:28:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Eman89so

If anyone is selling theres let me know :) my dad just bought one and I'm jealous so now i gotta get one.. And i need a finder

Better add those items to ur list to Santa..Still some time left..

Fish On !!!
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/15 21:16:54 (permalink)
    Santa's done.. Got a new rangefinder .. i did get the family some new ice fishing stuff though.. and they got their new auger.. should be a good season if it ever stays cold enough to get some ice
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/16 00:22:04 (permalink)

I am pretty much set on 8 inch or a little larger. When I set tip ups for pike or lake trout, I don't want to fudge up a nice fish by having too small of a hole...

I fish through an 8" hole, and have not had a problem with pike or musky.  I have pulled some big pigs through it with ease.  I don't think you would have a problem with lakers either through an 8", but When I have the money for a power auger, I will more then likely end up going with a 10". 

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/16 15:26:28 (permalink)
    I fish through an 8" hole, and have not had a problem with pike or musky. I have pulled some big pigs through it with ease. I don't think you would have a problem with lakers either through an 8", but When I have the money for a power auger, I will more then likely end up going with a 10".

I think you have to consider the narrowing diameter of the hole on very cold days.

- T. Fleming
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: durable ice auger 2011/12/17 01:56:59 (permalink)
    My dad just got a 52cc 8" ice auger this year can't wait to get out on the ice. And i just bought a marcum flasher. We probaly won't even have any ice and I get all excited for nothing
    Jump to: