businesses too big for their britches?

Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/29 12:42:54 (permalink)

businesses too big for their britches?

for the past several months i've found businesses i have delt with in the past have less concren for us little guys.
i was interested in some rod and reel info from The Fly Shop in california, they never called me back. (ended, lost sale)

i ordered tying material from cabel. one item was on backorder, it took 4 months when they sent me an e-mail telling me they cancelled the ordered item. this caused my total order to be less than $100.00 but still more than $90. which now cost me shipping. not only that, the item is still available in their newest catalog that i just recv. after they cancelled my order that they said wasn't available!!

i heard good things about Allen Fly fishing. i wanted hooks i couldn't find elsewhere and their prices weren't bad. when i rcvd. my #14 hooks i found the 1X long hooks had the gap of #16's. the other #14 hooks were correct. i sent a msge to them and Justin sent me an e-mail that he would look into it. that's been since oct. 31rst. still no word! i am looking into getting a 7/8 reel. again i heard good things about their fly reels. too bad but i won't be interested in them. thay lost a cust. forever.
this is to let the newbies tying, to make sure the hooks, when ordered, are what they are suppose to be.

i thought the economy was down and people were conscious of buying. it looks to me that some of these companies aren't too concerned of cust. satisfaction or at least an answer to a question!!
post edited by doubletaper - 2011/11/29 12:45:50

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

16 Replies Related Threads

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 12:58:47 (permalink)
    Same thing happened to me with Bass Pro Shops. I had a gift card, ordered $x worth of stuff that qualified me for free shipping. They shipped half my stuff, charged me for shipping, and told me the rest was backordered. Then they told me that the other stuff was unavailable. I called and yelled. Two people told me tough luck. Finally I got a lady who made me jump through hoops, but finally took away the shipping charges...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Wells
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 14:23:11 (permalink)
    Hello from Mercer County, I go to Neshannock Creek Fly Shop in Volant, quite a distance from Clarion but I am sure you have local fly shops. Great people, great help and great stories. Most of those shops can order from just about anyone. I have never had problems, in fact lots of help by phone and online when I do order that way; Orvis, Feather-Craft, Griffin Enterprises, LLBeans, Janns Netcraft amd I am sure others can testify to their favorites.
    Still feel best going into local fly shops though, good luck, Bob
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 15:12:26 (permalink)
    wells, i do go to neshannock creek fly shop when i'm down that way. it is way cheaper for me to pay shipping than drive down there from where i live. also he does not have many of the fly tying hooks or sales on feathers that i use. i can order on line for free shipping most of the time because i buy i quantity and variety. he also doesn't carry known brands i use.
    there are no local fly shops up here nor anywhere near i can get the variety of material i need.

same goes for fishUSA. they don't have the variety of fly tying material i use.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/11/29 15:14:00

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 15:29:39 (permalink)
    Start your own business.
    Eriefisherman69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 15:32:36 (permalink)
    Or have one handed to you by Daddy

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 16:29:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Eriefisherman69

Or have one handed to you by Daddy

That would be nice wouldn't it.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 16:53:20 (permalink)
    DT,
    have you ever tried hook and hackle, based out of pittsburgh?  I'm no fly fisherman, but i did buy a pair of wading boots from them.  very accomodating people. they do have a website, and from what i could tell, their warehouse was full of fly fishing stuff. 
    post edited by Accountant - 2011/11/29 16:54:00
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 17:13:29 (permalink)
    i bought from hook and hackle one time, had the item less than 48 hours later, pretty good service. Also emailed the guys about something and they replied right away.  Although I wish there site was a little easier to navigate and had more info on the stuff you are buying, but other than that reel nice guys.

And for Allen fly fishing, the one man was alot more helpful than the other when ordering a reel. Had a few questions and he answered them right away in great detail. Asked the other guy a few questions later and he wasnt as helpful, didn't seem as out going as the first.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 17:49:48 (permalink)
    Makes me leery about Allen. I was just getting an order together to send in to them. I really like their prices, but I also know what I want quality wise. I hate paying what local shops want for hooks. I'm not real happy about Cabela's either. I really like buying from FishUsa, but I need some specialized dry fly hooks that they do not carry. FishUsa is excellent for Blackbird products, and good for tippet also. Very prompt in filling orders.

Fishmonger
    DryflyTU
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/11/29 19:43:52 (permalink)
    Guys, you might want to try FishUSA.com. If they don't have it, they can generally get it for you quickly through special order. In addition, if you qualify for free shipping and the order is partially backordered, they will not charge you freight on the order.

Eric
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/12/05 08:30:09 (permalink)
    Anadromous, Thanks for the PM, your box is full.

Fishmonger
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/12/12 10:19:49 (permalink)
    well, somehow through the internet web justin finally sent me an e-mail and explained to me the confusion, while he was out of town, of why i never rcvd a reply from the others. he sounds like a cool dude and is very interested in the alan fly fishing business.
    better late than never.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/12/12 11:29:21 (permalink)
    Its fly fishing knock offs

i wouldn't call these comapanies "Fishing Companies"
    Its an Importer that orders off the internet from china/korea... from some factory where there is no connection to/ understanding of fishing

they buy cheap inferior products and then mark them up 2000%... which is still 50% less than a quailty product... so you have this precieved idea of "value"
    post edited by KJH807 - 2011/12/12 11:45:14

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/12/12 14:05:59 (permalink)
    kjh, i'm not talking about purses where as someone puts a famous companies name on a product that has nothing made or endorsed by such company.

i'm sure some companies do just that, 'Its an Importer that orders off the internet from china/korea

other companies will have overseas manufactures build products under their guide lines. i wouldn't call these knock offs. just like orvis, llbean etc.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/12/12 14:23:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

...other companies will have overseas manufactures build products under their guide lines....

you'd be surprised how few
    of course the big companies (orvis, llbean, hardy, TFO, ect) have some say in the overseas production

But these small companies order of the manufactures set inventory list... they just get their logo stamped on it

the "guide-lines" are.... can i get it cheaper? 

its like hand bags... in that its a shoty product (hooks, fly boxes, whatever) that is marked up for huge profits... only to have them fall apart/ not made with the same quality as the "real thing"

camemup
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: businesses too big for their britches? 2011/12/15 08:40:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DryflyTU

Guys, you might want to try FishUSA.com. If they don't have it, they can generally get it for you quickly through special order. In addition, if you qualify for free shipping and the order is partially backordered, they will not charge you freight on the order.

Eric

Eric,

I have tried to find items on fishusa dozens of times and they did not have them.  Your company's shipping and handling is amazing, but the selection, especially for fly fishing, is not the greatest.  Furthermore, what you do have, is relatively expensive compared to other places.  I'm not stirring the pot here, just speaking truth, as I would buy from fishusa A LOT more if it weren't for the expense difference.  I sincerely hope this does not get deleted, as it is a customer review and I know I'm not alone on this one... maybe it will get some sparks flying as to some changes that could result in a lot more future purchasing from many anglers. 

your center pin section seriously rocks though!  Bought 2 sheffields off of you and never had a problem with them.  Floats and other terminal tackle was either not there or again, expensive.
    Jump to: