Nationally, archery sales continue upwards

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/18 14:37:01 (permalink)

Nationally, archery sales continue upwards

Just read a survey of state wildlife agencies by Archery Business magazine.  Last year 3.64 million archery licenses were sold.  The highest ever. In addition, last year saw the largest increase, year to year, of the last ten years.  The Archery Trade Association reports that technological improvements in compound bows making them easier to shoot accurately along with expanding crossbow inclusion are contributing to the increase.   Along with equipment improvements, the ATA reports hunters are looking for additional opportunities and are embracing the challenges of bowhunting.

Several threads here have touched on archery hunter numbers versus firearms hunter numbers. As I mentioned, participation in archery continues to increase while it decreases for firearms.  Not just in Pa. but nationally.  Both user groups are moving towards the center line. 

C'mon Dars, join the movement.

My rifle is a black rifle

14 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/18 17:26:55 (permalink)
    He's right Dars, The next step will be archey right up until gun season so instead of 30% of the deer taken it will be 50-60% taken with the bow. Your better off selling one of your guns and buying a bow. Hell, even I am considering really going over on the dark side and getting one of those funny guns for certain situations. It's a fact of life they are promoting archey at the expense of rifle hunting so you may as well accept it and join in.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/18 18:05:37 (permalink)
    I think in Ohio it is 80% or higher of all hunters archery hunt.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/18 18:18:23 (permalink)
    If PA goes to Sunday hunting, I'm going to buy a crossbow.
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/18 18:26:02 (permalink)
    To many houses going up. Archery and crossbows are the best bet. Off the top of my head, I think the safety zone for archery is much shorter than for rifle.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/18 20:13:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SmMouthSeeker

To many houses going up. Archery and crossbows are the best bet. Off the top of my head, I think the safety zone for archery is much shorter than for rifle.

Yep.  That was also mentioned as a contributing factor.  Easier to gain access for archery hunting in tight areas.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/19 19:19:25 (permalink)
    Another point to consider with all of this is that some folks worry about a climbing archery harvest.  What we will see is a shifting of harvest from later in the season to earlier with more archery participation and decreasing firearms.

Archery harvest must increase to offset decreasing firearms harvest to meet management goals.  Not just here but elsewhere.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/20 22:34:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: SmMouthSeeker

Yep.  That was also mentioned as a contributing factor.  Easier to gain access for archery hunting in tight areas.

Knew a guy that hunted Cranberry TWP. Could actualy watch the LO's TV from his stand. Yes sir boys now that's some hunting. NOT!!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/21 09:33:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dpms

Just read a survey of state wildlife agencies by Archery Business magazine.  Last year 3.64 million archery licenses were sold.  The highest ever. In addition, last year saw the largest increase, year to year, of the last ten years.  The Archery Trade Association reports that technological improvements in compound bows making them easier to shoot accurately along with expanding crossbow inclusion are contributing to the increase.   Along with equipment improvements, the ATA reports hunters are looking for additional opportunities and are embracing the challenges of bowhunting.

Several threads here have touched on archery hunter numbers versus firearms hunter numbers. As I mentioned, participation in archery continues to increase while it decreases for firearms.  Not just in Pa. but nationally.  Both user groups are moving towards the center line. 

C'mon Dars, join the movement.

I shot a bow way back in the stone age before compunds in a high school intermural league.  Wasn't bad at it for a recruve and fingers   Heck, I even tormented some live critters with the thing back then.  But I simply have no desire to hunt with one now.  In addition, I have other things that I prefer to do during the archery season and I like shooting deer with a rifle.

In all actuality, I would give up deer hunting (not that it would take much to get me to that even right now) before I would archery hunt.  Not that I have anything against others doing it, it is just not for me.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/21 10:09:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

In all actuality, I would give up deer hunting (not that it would take much to get me to that even right now) before I would archery hunt.  Not that I have anything against others doing it, it is just not for me.

There are many that feel the same.  Couple of those that I deer hunt with have done both but prefer the rifle.  Good luck next week.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/21 11:05:14 (permalink)
    Luck is what one counts on when they have no skill -- so thanks, I'll need it.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    CrossForkWookie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/21 16:55:03 (permalink)
    With more and more people buying rural land and building/living on it. it will become more of a safety issue in the future than ever before. I know I'd feel alot safer on my land allowing bowhunters than gunhunters (many of whom have no problem slinging lead when they see brown running through the woods)

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/21 17:10:27 (permalink)
    Discharging guns are always going to be a problem in populated areas. More populated areas need to have organized archery hunts and have the hunter qualify before getting a permit. Does seem to out number the bucks so make it a doe first and then buck. Qualifying is a must, too many shoot and hope. A wounded deer running around the playground and through peoples yard is not what we want to see.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/22 05:18:02 (permalink)
    If you make A ETHICAL shot with gun a OA it will go right down withing a couple yards No MATTER were you shot from be big woods or your back yard
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Nationally, archery sales continue upwards 2011/11/22 10:45:26 (permalink)
    Most of the time. We are talking the safety aspect here of guns vs bows. Many places guns are not even considered for obvious reasons.
    Jump to: