First outing, bearded hen

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/07 11:21:59 (permalink)

First outing, bearded hen

Took a break from archery and decided to take the shotgun for a walk on a PGC farm/game cooperator property in 2A that I have permission to hunt. The hill I wanted to hunt hasn't seen me in a few years so I was going in blind.

Got there before daylight and started to walk in to find a new logging road and signs of logging activity.  To my relief, it looked like it hadn't seen any recent activity.  Walked through the logged out part and settled into a shagbark hickory stand to wait for first light. Wasn't long and two seperate flocks of turkeys came to life. Was happy to hear that after not being in these woods for a bit.
With a fly down cackle and some assembly yelps, I had one group headed my way. In the crisp leaves I could hear them coming and they sounded like they were coming double time. Within minutes, the dark shapes were bee lining to my position tight against the hickory.  At 30 yards the lead hen came to a halt for a look.  With the red dot on her head the Remington roared sending the Hevi-Shot and down she went. The rest of the flock jumped into the air then circled around me for ten minutes before I got up to retrieve the bird.

I was surprised to see it was a bearded hen.  My first one to be harvested.  I have seen a few but never at the right time.  Her beard was rather long as well at 6.5 inches. 

It has been a week to remember for me. I took a weeks vacation and have had perfect weather. Took a buck and doe with the crossbow and now this fall bearded hen. Penns woods is rocking.

My rifle is a black rifle

4 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: First outing, bearded hen 2011/11/13 07:59:31 (permalink)
    Can't believe you didn't get any responses.  Must be everyone was out hunting.  Way to smoke the bearded lady.  Sounds like even though you haven't hunted there much, you knew right where they liked to roost.

I had a perfect opportunity to light up a turkey with my bow 2 weeks ago, but passed.  It was right before dark and prime time for deer to be coming down the hill to feed.  It was the lead hen of a whopping flock of 9 birds.  She was even kind enough to step behind a tree at 20 yards to allow me to draw back.  The flocks in the area around our property have been decimated the last 3 years by predation and rough winters.  We haven't had a decent amount since 2008.  I'm hoping the hen that got the free pass goes on to make more for the next years.

Anyway congrats on turkey.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: First outing, bearded hen 2011/11/13 09:21:04 (permalink)
    Sweet! You done did good..lol Thought about whacking one Friday but deer were more on my mind. Nice job.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: First outing, bearded hen 2011/11/14 08:50:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Claypool313

The flocks in the area around our property have been decimated the last 3 years by predation and rough winters. 

In 2A, at least where I hunt, turkey numbers are way down from ten years ago. And it is not from hunting pressure.

Thanks.  I was happy to get her and yes, the area I went into historically holds birds.  Just depends if they roost on the posted property or the coop property.  I got lucky that morning.

My rifle is a black rifle
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: First outing, bearded hen 2011/11/14 09:49:51 (permalink)
    Good job, dp!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Jump to: