Fly Fishing 101

Author
CAP78
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/24 20:49:25 (permalink)

Fly Fishing 101

Years ago I was introduced to fishing for trout with a fly rod and found I liked it versus using a spinning combo; however I never got into using actual flies.  Yes, I have used live bait with a fly rod…I will probably be shunned, but recently I have been doing some research and I am beginning to understand the different weights (rods, line, etc.) and found I am in desperate need of a knowledge upgrade.  I just bought a 4 weight Redington rod, reel, and line combo and I am ready to forgo the live bait route and start using actual flies.  Anyhow, my very limited research and knowledge of flies have left my head spinning and now have more questions than answers.  My question to all of the more experienced fly rod anglers is can anyone recommend a good book or resource that can break this down for a beginner?  I would like to eventually get into tying flies but for now I would like to try and figure out what to use and when.

28 Replies Related Threads

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/24 21:14:42 (permalink)
    1) the Orvis fly fishing guide
    2) the ll bean ultimate guide to fly fishing
    3) death, taxes and leaky waders

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/24 23:44:19 (permalink)
    American Fly Tying Manual by Dave Hughes

this is basic beginning in fly tying.
    shows the anatomy of an artifical fly and how to tie them
    types of hooks, sizes, typical gap to lengths, and what the numbers mean
    all about threads, body material and how to apply it.
    what differences of material for using body dubbing for dries and wets to nymphs.
    teaches how to tie in sequence so you'll understand what parts of the artifical you tie on first to last.

once you start tying flies you'll than remember what fly it is that you are looking at when out on a stream.

as far as what to use and when. there are hatch charts on the internet for the month and usualy creeks you'll be fishing.
    i use PA trout streams and their hatches by charles meck.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/25 11:52:15 (permalink)
    the orvis fly fishing podcast. i normally put it on and shortly go to sleep. hope to learn through osmosis, and it works better than counting sheep
    streamfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/29 16:38:39 (permalink)
    If you live near a fly shop stop in and chat with the folks there.Bob at Neshanock Creek has always answered my questions thoroughly and when needed will do a demonstration if he is not real busy
    CAP78
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/30 20:28:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the tips.  Stopped at the local fly tying shop here in Meadville.  Picked up a few pointers and I am on the lookout for the suggested reading materials.  This stuff is starting to make sense but I have a long way to go.  
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/30 21:27:03 (permalink)
    also check out John Nagy's Guide to SteelHead Fishing

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 11:55:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Pheasant tails and gold ribbed hares ear nymphs will catch fish anywhere.

so will olive woolly buggers!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 12:32:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CAP78

Years ago I was introduced to fishing for trout with a fly rod and found I liked it versus using a spinning combo; however I never got into using actual flies.  Yes, I have used live bait with a fly rod…I will probably be shunned, but recently I have been doing some research and I am beginning to understand the different weights (rods, line, etc.) and found I am in desperate need of a knowledge upgrade.  I just bought a 4 weight Redington rod, reel, and line combo and I am ready to forgo the live bait route and start using actual flies.  Anyhow, my very limited research and knowledge of flies have left my head spinning and now have more questions than answers.  My question to all of the more experienced fly rod anglers is can anyone recommend a good book or resource that can break this down for a beginner?  I would like to eventually get into tying flies but for now I would like to try and figure out what to use and when.

Hire a good guide for a day on good trout water in the month of May. You'll be able to learn casting, nymphing, dry fly fishing, knot tying, fly selection, and mending all in one day. In that one days time you'll learn more than any book or message board will ever teach you.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 14:09:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

ORIGINAL: CAP78

Hire a good guide for a day on good trout water in the month of May. You'll be able to learn casting, nymphing, dry fly fishing, knot tying, fly selection, and mending all in one day. In that one days time you'll learn more than any book or message board will ever teach you.

i didn't have that luxury when i started fly fishing.

that is sound advise if you have the cash and find a good guide that knows what he's talking about!
    nothing like hands on experience with guidance!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 14:49:07 (permalink)
    Yes is can be expensive, but if you add up the cost of the books, videos, and all the flies a new fly fisher may go through before he finds out through trial and error what does and doesn't work in his area, and all the ruined leaders he'll trash before he gets the cast figured out on his own.... you've got more money spent than a guide would cost for a half day.

If it's affordable to him, it's a good option.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 14:52:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

Yes is can be expensive, but if you add up the cost of the books, videos, and all the flies a new fly fisher may go through before he finds out through trial and error what does and doesn't work in his area, and all the ruined leaders he'll trash before he gets the cast figured out on his own.... you've got more money spent than a guide would cost for a half day.

If it's affordable to him, it's a good option.

definitely!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

CAP78
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 15:40:40 (permalink)
    Hey DT...are you available for hire???
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 15:57:26 (permalink)
    just let me know if you're up near the ANF. i don't drink light beer.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

CAP78
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/10/31 19:38:20 (permalink)
    LOL...if I'm out that way I'll look you up.  I'll bring some swisher sweets and PBR...
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/01 14:50:55 (permalink)
    i will speak from expierience here , DT or the drake are both very very knowledgeable about fly fishing and a day on the stream with either one would be like spending six months in a fly fishing library. The company is much more enjoyable than any good book also. Its much easier to start off the right way than to try to correct bad habits later . I am quite lucky to know these 2 guys !!!!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/01 15:10:35 (permalink)
    Look at a guide trip more as a tutoring lesson than a fishing trip.

Agree with Drake, DT and Slammer.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/01 17:57:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: troutslammer

i will speak from expierience here , DT or the drake are both very very knowledgeable about fly fishing and a day on the stream with either one would be like spending six months in a fly fishing library. The company is much more enjoyable than any good book also. Its much easier to start off the right way than to try to correct bad habits later . I am quite lucky to know these 2 guys !!!!!

DT was my first teacher. Just watching them on the stream shortens ones learning curve considerably. Watched the Drake one day for a while and picked up alot on getting the right drift.

Mabee hook up with a more experienced fly fisher for a day on the water.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/01 22:00:31 (permalink)
    ^^^ Wholeheartedly agree ^^^

No better experience than witnessing with your own two eyes everything you watch on a YouTube video (they have their value, don't get me wrong). You learn some "street smarts," too. And like Troutslammer said, you can stop a bad habit right in its tracks.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/02 07:32:41 (permalink)
    I have been flyfising for over 40+ years and I learn something from the Drake everytime he kicks my arse on the stream.

And not all of it is about how to catch suckers.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/02 09:26:21 (permalink)
    comparing me with thedrake is like comparing a professor (thedrake) to a self made trout bum!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/02 23:48:09 (permalink)
    Using a fly rod for bait fishing definately has it's advantages while drifting. For flies I'd suggest checking out Orvis's site or even Cabela's. They both have some good assortments to give you an idea of the different types of flies. When buying individual flies, I'd suggest your local fly shop or Ebay. Read what you want, but getting out on the water is really what's gonna help you learn the applications. Pay attention to the forage in the water that you're fishing to get a general idea of what to tie on.

Wooly buggers, Caddis flies, Royals, Stoneflies, Emergers, Ants, Eggs, Sucker spawn, and a few streamers would be a good start to cover a small variety of fish. Have a variety of sizes.

I'd rather be fishin...
    CAP78
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/06 20:19:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I got out today and tried a GB prince nymph and an olive wooly bugger, water was a little high today at Woodcock but it was a nice day to be out.  The nymph was a size 12 and the bugger was size 10, I think the bugger may have been a little big for a 4 wt...no fish. I forgot my waders so my casting options were limited .  I've heard to always learn something every time you fish.  I learned a couple of things...
    1) always remember your waders
    2) I need a lot of casting practice
    rockcutter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/07 07:07:15 (permalink)
    CAP 78 If you stopped in at the bank fly shop on park ave (hoke line and stitch) the owner terry gives lessons sort of a club the second tuesday of the month. WE get together there and tie just need to let them know.
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/11/29 03:34:53 (permalink)
    // My question to all of the more experienced fly rod anglers is can anyone recommend a good book or resource that can break this down for a beginner?  I would like to eventually get into tying flies but for now I would like to try and figure out what to use and when. //

Join your nearest chapter of Trout Unlimited. Get involved by attending monthly meetings. January - April meetings generally draw a good crowd of members and annual banquets are often scheduled during this time period.

Most TU members are dedicated fly fishermen and are more than willing to take a new member/neophyte under their wings in preparation for the upcoming trout season. You'll make new friends and avail yourself to a bounty of fly fishing information and experience.

I gather that you may be a resident of Western Pennsylvania. Here's a roster of TU chapters affiliated with the PA Council of TU:
    http://www.patrout.org/Chapters.aspx
    post edited by Whitebeard - 2011/11/29 03:50:16
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/12/06 21:28:52 (permalink)
    I have only been fly fishing for about 4 years now and have read all the books I can get at the library and fish as often as I can.  But I have to say that I have learned the most just sitting on the bank and watching.  It's pretty obvious when you see someone that knows what he is doing.  I for one never turn down advise and for that matter seek it out.   I have found most anglers are happy to help out and I have copied some of my most productive flys from ones given to me on the stream.
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/12/06 22:10:30 (permalink)
    I am with you DT a self made trout bum & I like it
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/12/07 17:55:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

also check out John Nagy's Guide to SteelHead Fishing

The greatest steelhead guide ever.............
    rottenhimer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Fly Fishing 101 2011/12/18 10:32:25 (permalink)
     I started using a flyrod for baitfishing also back in 1969,then 5 years later started using flies to see what all the hype was about,and then started tying my own flies.But 1 thing that remains constant is I still hate being outsmarted by a fish!
    Jump to: