Meter on Brandy Run

Author
neaphyte
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/23 19:39:58 (permalink)

Meter on Brandy Run

Now that the meter on Brandy has been fixed, and a new season is upon us. Can anyone tell me if the meter reads the same as in past? Example: 4-5 CFS kind of low ..while 19-20 CFS kind of high. Thanks

18 Replies Related Threads

Mr Twister
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/23 20:23:44 (permalink)
    No last year it was like 2 or 3 meant elk was good. Atleast in my liking. But remeber we had a dry august we need water in the water table. Elk is still low and hard for the fish to move. A good gulley washer will put things in motion big time.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/24 10:25:23 (permalink)
    I haven't gotten a good feel for the reset of this gauge yet.  Will take a few good rains and trips to Elk that get a wide spread soaking.  It's tough considering Brandy drain such a small area.  I've actually developed a pretty reliable visual with the Elk feeder creek that flows through my yard.  It drains about the same area as Brandy, but much further upstream.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/24 10:56:42 (permalink)
    It shouldn't make any difference. 20CFS is 20CFS regardless.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/24 19:39:06 (permalink)
    Correct, provided that the calibration is same as before.  Initial observations are that it is not.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/24 20:31:29 (permalink)
    If 20 cfs is no longer 20 cfs after 'calibration', then it was calibrated wrong.

That's like saying that once you calibrated a thermometer, 55 degrees is a normal summer temperature.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/25 10:03:31 (permalink)
    It is what it is.  Could have been out before and good now.  I dunno.  Like I said I haven't gotten a feel for it yet as haven't fished Elk yet when Brandy is on the drop.  Wait and see I guess.  Used to be when Brandy hit 10 cfs, the stretch I like to fish on Elk was good.  We'll see if that holds.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/25 12:42:06 (permalink)
    You really have to look at more than just that guage. How long did it rain? How hard? How wide spread was it? A big, quick downpour can raise Brady run significantly, yet have almost no impact on Elk. especially this time of year, and if it was a small, localized cell.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/26 22:06:15 (permalink)
    It would be great if 20 CFS was always 20 CFS, but put two gauges on the same stream a mile apart and you'll get different readings. It becomes especially hard when the gauge is on a feeder so the correlation is indirect to begin with. It took 15 years to get to the point where I could figure conditions on most of the Erie tribs with that Brandy gauge. And of course you had to consider some other factors. But it was never a science. I guess I'll have to figure it out again. Thanks for the input.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/26 22:53:55 (permalink)
    CFS...cubic feet per second.

Cubic feet = unit of volume

Second = unit of time

If you put two gauges on the same stream with no feeders entering in between them, you had **** well better be getting the same reading at both of them, otherwise water is either being added to the stream or being siphoned off of it somehow in between.

If the point that you're trying to make is that cfs isn't the be-all-end-all indicator of fishability, I agree 100%. But the laws of mathematics hold true no matter how much you may want to bend them.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/26 23:13:33 (permalink)
    They use simple algorithms based on gauge height and stream velocity.  When they are calibrated the gauge height will correspond to a cross sectional area of the streamflow (or discharge if known).  Cross sectional area (ft^2) x stream velocity (ft/s) yields discharge in ft^3/s.  There is a little more to it than that, but you can get the gist.

Streambeds are always prone to sedimentation buildup or washout in the vicinity of the gauge, both of which can throw off the calibration of the gauge stations.  It is entirely possibly that anomalies will exist for this reason, which can seem more substantial in a small stream such as Brady Run. 

It is also very likely that 2 gauging stations on the same stream some distance apart without surface water influence between them will show different discharge measurements.  Groundwater in, groundwater out, evaporation, and plant transpiration can not be ignored and can be significant depending on (among other things) the local geology and vegetation.  

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2011/09/26 23:19:26
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/26 23:15:01 (permalink)
    Cold,

I think they are cornfusing the height guage & the flow guage. With height, the same reading in two different locations could mean two different things. But CFS, is CFS regardless.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 01:53:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Cold,

I think they are cornfusing the height guage & the flow guage. With height, the same reading in two different locations could mean two different things. But CFS, is CFS regardless.

Thanks. *sigh*
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 06:23:29 (permalink)
    Of course in a lab 20 CFS is a constant not in the real world. For all who doubt what I wrote earlier and what you see below refer to USGS,,,Pa... Spring Creek see it's two or three gauges, thier reading at the same date and time and notice how they all vary...... But you need to know what the water looks like at any one point at different CFS to know what the rest of the stream will fish like....This is what happens when guys learn to "fish" on the internet, not your fault just the way things are these days. Esox I'll fish with you anytime.

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

They use simple algorithms based on gauge height and stream velocity.  When they are calibrated the gauge height will correspond to a cross sectional area of the streamflow (or discharge if known).  Cross sectional area (ft^2) x stream velocity (ft/s) yields discharge in ft^3/s.  There is a little more to it than that, but you can get the gist.

Streambeds are always prone to sedimentation buildup or washout in the vicinity of the gauge, both of which can throw off the calibration of the gauge stations.  It is entirely possibly that anomalies will exist for this reason, which can seem more substantial in a small stream such as Brady Run. 

It is also very likely that 2 gauging stations on the same stream some distance apart without surface water influence between them will show different discharge measurements.  Groundwater in, groundwater out, evaporation, and plant transpiration can not be ignored and can be significant depending on (among other things) the local geology and vegetation.  

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 12:39:00 (permalink)
    The water doesn't know whether its in a lab or a stream.

Any difference in the readings of those meters is due to water being added, water being taken away, or the inaccuracy of the measuring device or method.

This is what happens when people learn math on the internet.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 12:47:48 (permalink)
    That may be true on paper, but you are assuming the factors influencing streamflow measurement are static and rest assured that is not the case.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 12:54:58 (permalink)
    I think the best thing to do is to just SHUTTHEF*CKUPANDGOFISH

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 13:38:10 (permalink)
    Why don't you take a bit of your own advice, dUUd. You've been especially b!tchy on here lately.
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    RE: Meter on Brandy Run 2011/09/27 21:32:23 (permalink)
    There, thats the problem your doing math were all onto physics, could not pass that up, sorry.. Let's forget it, I'll figure it out in a few weeks anyway.
    ORIGINAL: Cold

The water doesn't know whether its in a lab or a stream.

Any difference in the readings of those meters is due to water being added, water being taken away, or the inaccuracy of the measuring device or method.

This is what happens when people learn math on the internet.

Jump to: