• Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/21 17:48:32 (permalink)

Next PGC BOC member ??

Local woman seeks seat on Game Commission board
August 14, 2011
By JESSICA WELSHANS jwelshans@sungazette.com , Williamsport Sun-Gazette
Save |
Nancy Craft, who lives near Hughesville, wants to become a board member on the state Game Commission.

"I believe that the Game Commission has a major role to play in the preservation of the hunting traditions in Pennsylvania, and I would like to have a part in this mission," Craft said.

She has considered the idea for several years and now is taking steps to secure a nomination for the northcentral region seat, which is held by Thomas Boop, of Sunbury.

Boop's term expired on July 28. His region - District 5 - covers Bradford, Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Sullivan, Tioga and Union counties.

A voice for Sullivan County

Under state law, Boop "can serve up to an additional six months, until a successor is a qualified," said commission spokesman Jerry Feaser.

That means that an individual must be nominated by Gov. Tom Corbett and confirmed, he said.

Craft has sent a letter of intent to the governor and is waiting to hear if she will make the cut.

If she moves on in the process, the governor will submit her name to the state Senate, which must vote to appoint her.

"District No. 5 is my 'home' district because I live in Sullivan County. (It) and other Northern Tier counties in this district need to have a voice on the commission," Craft said. "In Sullivan County alone, more than 30 percent of the land is owned by the state."

Years of experience

Craft has a lengthy history of serving the state in conservation and wildlife issues.

Her resume overflows with countless organizations in the area and state that deal with the outdoors. She is a decorated conservationist, a high school shooting coach, retired teacher and a lifelong outdoor enthusiast. She also has been a licensed taxidermist for more than 24 years.

Should she secure the commissioner position, Craft plans to be able to represent her area in a very positive light.

"I understand that there are many, many factions that must be listened to very carefully and the information that those factions may provide needs to be carefully examined prior to any decisions being made that will affect the hunters and wildlife of Pennsylvania," she said.

If elected, Craft wants to help more youth become interested in the sport of hunting.

She also would like to see the Hunting and Trapping Digest - the booklet received when a hunting or trapping license is purchased - be rewritten and produced in a more user-friendly format, "which can be easily used and understood by the average citizen."

"Answers to questions concerning game laws need to be easily found in the digest and need to be clear and concise," she said. "Answers to many questions which hunters may have concerning game laws are not easily found or easily and clearly understood in the current digest format."

Representing the hunters and non-hunters in her district means being a "good listener," Craft said.

"I will attempt to listen to and forward information from the residents of the district to the other commissioners on the board prior to having any decisions made concerning game laws," she said.

No answer yet

Kirsten Page, deputy director of communications in the Governor's Office of Press and Communications, confirmed that her office has received Craft's request to be named a nominee.

"The governor's office reviews all candidates who are seeking a nominations to any board or commission in Pennsylvania, and she will receive full consideration," Page said.

9 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 14:12:22 (permalink)
    All that will matter on here is her position on deeer management.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 14:26:37 (permalink)
    Why not? When its the number one problem that needs to be addressed currently. Should those who see it as a huge problem just forget about it? What do you think should be the focus? Will she vote to mismanage our rabbit herd? Our starlings and grackles?

Im not gonna concern myself with it too much however, the boc process is a complete joke. Having the board politically stacked is a given these days. If they throw in a deer hunter friendly type or two to give us a token of nothingness its all for show, when the majority is clearly otherwise. Most probably understand that the powers that be have so much time engergy and money wrapped up in the failed deer plan, that there is no way they will leave it to "chance" that a "pro deer" majority might ever again exist.

As for we hunters, we never know who people nominated really are or what they stand for, and they dont exactly make their positions on controversial topics known ahead of time. I have yet to see one come out and say "YES, I AM ANTIDEER AND I INTEND TO VOTE TO PASS ALLOCATIONS OVER 900K EVERY YEAR AND VOTE FOR ANYTHING ELSE TO KILL MORE DEER FOR THE DCNR AND AUDUBON". Before being appointed.

Although i do remember one completely antideer well known individual that had her effort to gain a boc thwarted a few years back.

As for the purpose of your post, though, before you or anyone else starts the whine-fest, i didnt see a single soul mention deer until you brought it up.

Will she make a good commissioner? I havent the slightest idea. I do not currently intend to support or oppose this candidate.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/08/25 14:35:07
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 14:53:36 (permalink)
    Man Wayne, who peed in your wheaties this AM?

Coming back on board with a vengence....

Why are you so darn confrontational on a simple post that wasn't?
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 15:05:03 (permalink)
    Coming back on board with a vengeance??? HUH?? Wheres the vengeance? And where'd I go? lol

As for "confrontational" the post was no more or less than mine was. Whether intended as such or not, it was a statement made to clearly downplay and dismiss anyones views who have a concern with current deer herd conditions...

As if the boc has NOTHING to do with that and it SHOULDNT be a concern? lmao.

I simply replied in kind. Nothing mean intended to dd. And i see no reason to take MY post as confrontational other than perhaps a desire for you to misrepresent it as such? Either way, no big deal, and certainly not as you are trying to make it out to be. Just setting the record straight as i see it, didnt realize doing so on a message board was frowned upon.

This shoulda been a one post thread for me. I think i made my position on the comment as well as on the new commissioner candidate more than clear.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/08/25 15:10:33
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 15:20:34 (permalink)
    Nancy Craft
    Hughesville, Pa. Retired School Teacher, Taxidermist

Not only is Craft an active member of Ducks Unlimited (21 years), the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (18 years), Friends of the NRA (17 years), the National Wild Turkey Federation (eight years), and Women in the Outdoors (seven years)—she helped form a chapter of every one of these organizations. Over the years, she has been an invaluable fund-raiser for the clubs, helping to bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars in the name of wildlife. Along with her husband, Gary, she recently started a shooting team at Sullivan County High School.

It started 20 years ago with a Ducks Unlimited chapter, and it went on from there. In all, my husband and I were in on the ground floor of five different conservation chapters. Sometimes it seems like we just go from one banquet to the next.

I enjoy hunting, so I understand the goals set out by these conservation groups, and I really believe in what they're doing to help habitat. In the past, we've worked with DU on state game lands installing wood-duck boxes and putting in food plots for the NWTF.

I serve as ticket chair for the groups, which means I help plan and conduct their annual fund-raising events. It's exciting to meet so many people, and I take pride in being concerned with a full range of issues. We live in a world that's becoming more and more specialized, but in conservation, everything is connected.

Youth is a common theme. Every organization I work with in some way or another supports kids. As coaches of our shooting team, we're proud of the fact that ours is the only school in Pennsylvania that awards varsity letters for shooting. It's amazing to see the look of awe on the face of a new shooter who begins to break clay targets on the range.

Enjoying the outdoors has been my lifelong passion. The desire to have others share that enjoyment, especially for the next generation, is why I stay so involved.

—As told to Tom Tiberio

Doesn't sound bad----this was from (Field and Stream)she was a finalist for Conservationist (sp) of the year for that mag. Of course I felt that way about my current BOC member after listening to him talk. I have changed my mind after seeing him in action.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 15:41:50 (permalink)

Go back through the last years worth of topics on this board or any other board and add up all the topics on deer. Then do the same thing for all the other topics relating to any oher game bird or animal in Pa.

Then tell me what bird or animal her position on is most important to the sportsmen in the state.

To make it even more telling add up either all the hits or all the posts on the same topics and compare the numbers.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 22:55:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I think it's unanimous.  Who cares about chipmunks?

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/25 23:07:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

And no matter who it is, someone will find some dirty laundry on them.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Next PGC BOC member ?? 2011/08/26 08:05:22 (permalink)
    Having been throught the process on the PFBC side, don't discount what is going on behind the scenes politically, and possibly not even politically with the candidate.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: