Tying

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/31 12:22:23 (permalink)

Tying

man so after screwing up the reel I decide to do an inventory check on materials.. Seems I'm super low on salmon hooks 36890 and some pink iceabou.. No big deal I have a $150.00 gift card from cabelas I have had since Xmas.. Go to their site and for petes sake they changed the classic to a NEW signature # SL73 UBL.. Ok no big deal but then they gave me sticker shock (actually sticking up our azz)by selling half the Qty (50) for twice the price $14.99 WTF !!! .. I'm looking at the same thing I got from All Seasons in 100pk for $11.99.. What a RIP !!

Now I go to back up plan, J Stockard.. always treated me good there.. NOPE don’t even carry them any more.. Frantic I look here fishusa.. NOPE..

Looks like I have some hook searching to do..

What’s going on out there.. Times are tough these days and Companies just want to Rip us off ?
A bad day just got worse

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

7 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Tying 2011/07/31 12:43:01 (permalink)
    time to MAN-UP HT...
    or PILL-UP...

bbbwwwaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a big inventory of everything. Can't recall the last time I bought hooks.
    Like everything else HT - prices are going up and qty's are shrinking. If you pay attention in the grocery store you will noticed how things have shrunk.

I went on a spending spree a few years back when the lead-ban BS started and included a boat load of hooks as well. Figured that Pa would soon follow NY's stupid law. I ordered so much lead from Cabela's that my UPS guy went out on a work comp claim...
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/07/31 12:56:24
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tying 2011/07/31 13:24:28 (permalink)
    Yup sure did man up.. did some searching and Found Hook & Hackle had just what I wanted for $13.99 per 100.. Ordered 300.. Sometimes it just pays to poke around.. When Guiding Salmon used to tie flies by the 500 and still in good shape but get nervous when tying stock gets low..
    When they banned lead sale here I drove to the new Cabelas in CT a week after they opened and like you said needed an over weight permit to drive home.. Still have Plenty in inventory on that as I dont use much but nice to have..

Now I'm going to take a chill pill, tie up what I have for hooks and watch the roundy-rounds at the Brickyard !!

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Tying 2011/07/31 13:33:22 (permalink)
    always good to shop around HT..

I have not been to a NASCAR race in years, but one of my clients gave me an invite to next week's Pocono Race - in the all-you-can drink/eat AC comfort of the luxury box....

seriously considering it.

Have a Good Day....take it easy on them Mother's Little Helpers...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Tying 2011/07/31 13:51:07 (permalink)
     Tuna--
       I Live bout 20 min from that Hartford Cabelas and have their Credit Card- the points are GREAT -get it.- IMPORTANT to remember they dont always have the same prices as the parent Co. Catalog.
      They will honor the Catalog prices if YOU bring them with you though. Bought some boot foot for the wife and when I got home looked over the slip and found the store had charged a lot more than the catalog. Went back with a computer printout  as the refund was good size- they honored it.
      The stores are allowed to  charge "whatever the local market will bear" so when looking on the kumputear be sure you are looking at the parent Cabelas Co. - not one of the store offerings. The difference can be significant.
       BTW - the stores do NOT honor the Bargain Cave ads by the parent Co.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Tying 2011/07/31 18:12:50 (permalink)
    Pill Up & EBAY
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2011/07/31 18:13:17

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tying 2011/08/05 11:15:46 (permalink)
    Hey guys..
    dime my condolences go out to you and family .. Sad to hear..

for this topic.. I got my order from hook & hackle today of 300 36890 hooks.. I’d say after ordering on Sunday that was pretty good service.. they also run some kind of award points thing like the big C .. just giving a recommended shout out for them if anyone is in need of materials..

the left arm is starting to work again so I’m going to see about tying up some flies.. want to make a few "creations" to try this year .. if I get some tied up I’ll post them up ..

I know myself a basic comet or bunny leech are my bread & butter salmon flies but always want to try something new so I get creative..
    my question to you guys, what’s your flies for salmon.. maybe you already answered before but I cant remember and to lazy to look back..
    would be cool if you guys could put up a picture of maybe your top 3 salmon flies / size & color.. ya know I don’t think we need to see 3 comets in 3 colors jut your top color and top 3 flies..

what ya think ?

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Tying 2011/08/05 11:33:49 (permalink)
    HT,here's mine but no pictures.
    #1 is the Spruce fly,it looks like a royal coachman streamer version,Coho love them.
    #2 is the bucktail streamer,a old standard but I find the Kings like them
    #3 is the wooly bugger in olive/brown/black

Nothing unusual with those but they work,along with the egg sucking leach,comets,etc.
    Jump to: