"With the concave facing you..."

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/29 23:57:08 (permalink)

"With the concave facing you..."

Rookie tying question for you: I noticed that many tutes refer to the "concave side" of the feather. As I look at a feather, I notice two concavities. The first is the obvious one: a feather has a natural "arc" to it if you hold it by its stem.

The second concavity that I notice is in the vertical of the feather; in other words, if that feather was perfectly straight (no "arc" in it), the fibers are concave to their opposites along the stem (typically, I notice this in the duller side of the feather). It is this concavity to which I've been paying attention.

So which concave are they referring to?

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

7 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 00:13:32 (permalink)
    Tie both ways and see what works????????*

*Not a tier only guessing

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 00:27:56 (permalink)
    hey syd, the concave side is the side that is more dull (the back of the feather)... in most cases, you want this side facing the rear of the fly with the bright side as the front of the fly...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 00:38:11 (permalink)
    Either way would give you the same feather position, yes?

Also, wrt dimebright's post: dull side toward the eye on dries, dull side toward the bend on wets. (Except on some tenkara flies, but that's a whole different can of worms...)
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 00:59:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold
    Either way would give you the same feather position, yes?

What goes around comes around?

ORIGINAL: Cold
    dull side toward the eye on dries, dull side toward the bend on wets.

Starting to see it..."Cold is the man."

Thanks.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 08:47:43 (permalink)
    it really doesn't matter when tying dries,... the fibers are so short (sz14 and smaller)

it has importance when looking to strip a side of a feather (if both sides are on... one will be convex, one will be concave since it will fold over)
    if you tie right handed
    you have a feather of schlappen or longer fiber hackle that you want to collar a fly with
    hold the feather with the shiny side to the floor and remove the left side of fibers
    then you will be able to tie in with the fibers vertical and if you wrap away from your body... everything will line up with the shiny side facing the eye

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 09:22:08 (permalink)
    syd, to answer the actual question asked, the concave side is the DULL side. i recommend you experiment yourself with different patterns. there is no one way to wrap a hook when wrapping soft hackles and hen neck fathers on heads of wet flies, the feather actually has to be secured to the hook flat with the tip being tied down... concave down preferably for me in this instance. then all fibers are to be pulled back together, and then wrapped to make a beautiful collar that adds a nice touch to a hair wing wet...a little bit of spit rubbed in while pulling back the fibers between wraps adds a nice touch... for dries, try it both ways; ive found myself even spinning the feather before wrapping it around the hook as it shoots fibers forward and back. it looks real nice... my most EFFECTIVE dries have been just a simple post wing made from z-lon or hi-vis, then simple hackle wraps in front and back of the post. the final touch being snipping all fibers from the bottom to allow the fly to lie on the water rather than stand off the water the z-lon post increases your visibility of the fly... you should try it...

good luck man, and remeber; the books can tell you how to do it, but you'll find more effective ways through experiment resulting in personal satisfaction...

tight lines
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: "With the concave facing you..." 2011/07/30 10:05:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the pointer, KJH.

Jump to: