shwacker

Author
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/06 09:52:48 (permalink)

shwacker

I saw a demonstration of broadheads on tv, including rage and other popular mechanicals as they compared to swhacker broadheads... hank parker is running a special bogo deal on swhackers but they really made it look like they were head and shoulders above everyone else... rages looked tame and weak. I have been using rage for two years and have had good experiences, but was really considering trying swhackers, at least to see how they fly. I know I wouldnt get the massive entry holes that rage is known for but Id like to see what somebody that shoots swhackers has to say.

I dont doubt they are tougher, the metal is heavier than rage
Here is the link with the very drawn out video demo
http://www.hankparker.com/hank-parker-3d-products

10 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/06 22:08:28 (permalink)
       Tried lotsa 'new' stuff over the years and have learned to stick with success- 125 Thunderheads with new inserts each year.
      Am quite picky bout shot placement but any kinda side shot results in a pass through with nice bleeding both entry and exit. NEVER have had a blade break in the deer- they will on a rock after the pass..' Dont keep count but several dozen Deer  with same results. Including a fluky  heavy bone hit-that chisel tip is worth its weight in gold.
         The only game that didnt produce a pass was a Bear where the arrow went through the top of the heart and went on to strike heavy bone on the other side-No big tracking -heavy blood loss and it went down quick. That was more likely due to my old bows poundage than arrow deficiency and the entry wound bled like a faucet even with the arrow still in place.
        One of my sons has a newer much faster bow and uses 100s with the same consistent results.
      A friend tried mech..  bladed heads and had a problem with hits on even slight angles when bone was involved. Arrows tended to careen a bit when a opening blade hit heavier bone ( like the top of a rib when shooting from a tree) before the other blades hit. Led to us having some serious tracking experiences.
        Also the Thunderheads were the ONLY head I ever used that always hit right where my practice field tips of the same grain wt struck. Always practice all year with the easy to remove fields and then take a shot or two before the season with the real McCoy just to be sure and they are ALWAYS right on.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/06 22:19:13
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 00:39:41 (permalink)
    I have used lots of heads and last year tried the 100 gr 2 blade Rage. A double lung pass through at 20 yds from my 65 Lb Hoyt Maxxis. The buck dropped within 50 yds. Although you couldn't ask for more than that I think the Rages are JUNK.Very weak design. The Nap Spitfires are built much better as are others. Many good fixed blade heads out here also. Used the Thunderheads 100 and 125's with good results years back.The key is shot placement more than type of equipment. Buy the head that you feel comfortable with and practice till you think you can't miss. Then practice some more. Don't get caught up in all the new heads that TV hosts endorse.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 07:29:17 (permalink)
    Here's a broadhead test for strength and peneration. I don't think shwacker is on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 12:25:47 (permalink)
    OA is absolutely spot on-
      Ya gotta be willing to wait and to pass . That 'right' shot is the most important thing in Archery deer hunting.
      Have seen tooooo much of that 'ohmigod gotta shoot now' stuff by eager beavers over the years- then they blame a branch or the equipment.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 16:07:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Here's a broadhead test for strength and penetration. I don't think shwacker is on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

What the video fails to show is that a properly designed field tip would penetrate the barrel and probably pass thru it. Again don't get caught up in all the hype. And remember everything has a trade off. There is no such thing as having the best of both worlds when accuracy,penetration and durability come into play.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 16:34:45 (permalink)
    oh I started out with thunderhead 125's and have no complaints, a solid design, I switched to NAP Hellrazors when I got a new bow which is a one piece stainless killer, but they made noise as they flew so I decided to see if Rage's were for me... I have had two kills with them, one quartering away and down, double lung stuck in opposite side lower ribs, watched it fall, and a broadside shot double lung pass though, too thick to see fall but within 75yds piled up.

Got nothing against fixed blades and I like the classic reliabilty of them... just never heard much other than a comercial for swhackers wondered if anybody uses em

My bow now is a 2010 Bear Assault 70lb 29" its pretty fast, I think some people with far less ke shooting mechanicals should stick with a fixed blade but who am I to judge
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 17:23:35 (permalink)
    Like I mentioned there is always a trade off. Most broadheads won't fly with field tips with some sort of adjustment to your set up. Then came mechanicals and Most will fly with field tips. Many like the convenience of screwing on a mechanical, taking a few practice shots and then hunting. One thing I like about using mechanicals is that I can still practice shoot my same set up (field tips) during the entire hunting season without having to make any adjustments. Its the trade off between a solid fixed head vs the convenience and large cutting dia.of the mechanical. Now the PGC needs to specify if the Rages are legal because the maximum cutting diameter exceeds the diameter posted in the Pa game laws. It only takes one cocky WCO to push the issue so it needs to be more clear. As far as using a Shwacker try them and make your decision, I'm sure you will kill what you shoot at if placement is right. I see you get an extra set with your Shwacker order but do you really need that many heads ? Rage guarantees you get your game or your money back. It's all hype.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/06/07 17:30:17
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/07 19:26:43 (permalink)
        WOW -guess Im' really old fashioned- still using an old 52 lb Hoyt with 30" aluminum arrows and those 125 Thunderheads. If it ever lets me down I'll switch.
    Taken lotsa deer, turkey and a bear with it and still shoots straight so don't see any changes for now. WELLL maybeee not STRAIGHT but on a predictable  arc at least.
      One of my kids  (now my men in their late 30s and one 40) always has a new bow with carbide arrows and the 100 gr Thunders and a great big ferris wheel thing on the top, he certainly shoots much flatter and longer than the old guy. 
      Guess there is no real comparison to my rig and the ones some of you guys carry--certainly must make a positive dif. on head action too. Still  gotta hitem where they live though.
       Not the killin any how- its the huntin that counts- that said ya still gotta score now and then.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/07 19:29:51
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/08 00:12:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

WOW -guess I'm' really old fashioned- still using an old 52 lb Hoyt with 30" aluminum arrows and those 125 Thunderheads. If it ever lets me down I'll switch.
    Taken lotsa deer, turkey and a bear with it and still shoots straight so don't see any changes for now. WELLL maybeee not STRAIGHT but on a predictable  arc at least.
      One of my kids  (now my men in their late 30s and one 40) always has a new bow with carbide arrows and the 100 gr Thunders and a great big ferris wheel thing on the top, he certainly shoots much flatter and longer than the old guy. 
    Guess there is no real comparison to my rig and the ones some of you guys carry--certainly must make a positive dif. on head action too. Still  gotta hitem where they live though.
      Not the killin any how- its the huntin that counts- that said ya still gotta score now and then.

LOL No one said you need new equipment to kill game. You do need to get with the program as far as new equipment goes. LOL just kidding. I think you mean carbon arrows not carbide and that great big Ferris wheel thing is a FOB by Starrflight. I see no disadvantage you shooting modern heads with your older slower bow, matter of fact you have a advantage because when you speed things up and shorten brace your error will compound and heads will plane much easier. My favorite bow is a homemade custom recurve that my neighbor gave me. He introduced me into archery when I was 10 and passed his bow on to me latter in life. It will put down a whitetail with Bear Razorheads same as my Maxxis 31 with the Rages at 20 yards. Dead is dead and reliving some of my youth while hunting with that recurve is priceless. You are spot on when say that is all about the hunt. The kill is only a bonus.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: shwacker 2011/06/08 09:31:53 (permalink)
    Thanks OA-
      That 'older slower' part comes up a lot and isn't limited to just my bow. Used to make me mad- now I just accept it.
        Frankly I no longer want quicker and faster - its too difficult-am just happy to  participate at any speed at all- that goes for a lot of stuff.
    Jump to: