Helpful ReplyNiagara River Report

Author
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/08 19:16:49 (permalink)

Niagara River Report

I tried to post a pic of what I saw this past Sat morning but I am a complete computer moron. After 20 years and over a hundred trips to this place I am always in awe of the power and beauty of the mighty Niagara. If I don't get my wish to flop here at least I know I will be dumped here when I do flop.

The water was muddy still from recent storms and the friday night cold front didn't help the bite. I caught a few whopper smallies at the coast guard wall/ fort back eddy where I've caught some nice browns in the past. Sun up and it was over, tough bite with cold front in full swing. Spent more time sghtseeing and scouting than fishing after realizing what I was up against. The smelt still have eggs in them as of 5/5 and the smallies are staging which is late this year. walleyes are nesting or starting even though the season just started. catch a spurter and release after a quick pic keeps the fishery going. After talking to Ron of A-1 bait its a shame with such a world class fishery a bait shop can't make enough to survive. Please support the local guys. They care more than anyone cause their business is you visiting the area. Good fishing.
post edited by Meatball - 2011/05/08 20:54:21
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8500
RE: Niagara River Report 2011/05/09 09:23:35 (permalink)
Nice...its been a long time since I fished there and have great memories of it.
Always did well out at the bar for lakers. I like hitting it in late May for smallies..
can,t afford the gas to do it now..thanks for the report..:)

dewey123
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Niagara River Report 2011/05/15 21:15:39 (permalink)
I went out saturday morning with my brother in the upper niagara. we caught about 20 smallmouths and got lost in the fog for about 20 minutes. pretty fun. witht the rain lake erie is ll muddy and the river is in pretty bad shape and it is supposed to rain all week so it wont be the best fishing on the weekend for bass. Ill be out after kings or on onieda lake for walleyes next weekend
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: RE: Niagara River Report 2015/11/20 12:38:32 (permalink)
any info on the niagara hows the fishin been ??? 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: RE: Niagara River Report 2015/11/21 08:23:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby PeterJohnson 2016/03/14 12:56:21
From the NYSDEC Website:

Lower Niagara River

Lower river waters are currently stained, but fishable. Boaters and shore anglers have been catching plenty of lake trout with some steelhead and the occasional brown trout mixed in. Keep in mind that lake trout season is closed until January 1st, and all incidentally caught lakers should be quickly released. Shore anglers have seen the best bite along Artpark, but Devils Hole and Whirlpool State Parks are also good options. Egg sacs and chartreuse trout beads have worked well. Live shiners, jigs with mister twister, spoons and Vibrax spinners are also good offerings. Boaters are catching trout in the Artpark and Devils Hole Drifts. Controlled drifting with a three-way bottom bouncing rig with Kwikfish, egg sacs or shiners works well. Some trout have also shown at the NYPA fishing platform. NYPA has announced that the platform elevator is now closed due to the start of a project to replace the elevator. The remainder of the fishing pier remains open until December 1st, or the onset of ice and snow. For fishing access maps and lower river fishing information see the Fishing the Lower Niagara River page.
PeterJohnson
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: RE: Niagara River Report 2016/03/14 12:56:18 (permalink)
That sounds interesting! Thanks!
LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: RE: Niagara River Report 2016/08/26 00:23:11 (permalink)
Is there any new updated fishing reports for the Lower Niagara. I want to plan a trip up for Sept-Oct for Coho ans steelhead if it turned on.
Thanks Guys   Fish On 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: RE: Niagara River Report 2016/09/03 10:46:59 (permalink)
For fishing access maps and lower river fishing information see the Fishing the Lower Niagara River page.

For DEC Fishing reports on WNY:http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/39271.html

Currently posted there:

Lower Niagara River

Lower river water temperature need to drop a bit more before king salmon are drawn into the river. In the meantime, anglers can target walleye or smallmouth bass. Anglers have seen a decent walleye bite in the mid-river drifts down to the mouth. Drifting with a 3-way bottom bouncing rig with worm harness or yellow sally rig works well in the river. On the Niagara Bar, anglers can drift and bottom-bounce or troll for walleye. There has been no word yet, but the first king salmon catches of the season are typically reported from the New York Power Authority fishing platform in early September. Parks have announced that the Whirlpool State Park stairs have been repaired and reopened, providing anglers with a safer decent to the gorge floor. For fishing access maps and lower river fishing information see the Fishing the Lower Niagara River page.
Jump to: