Using the "Loose Loop" technique

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/19 09:19:57 (permalink)

Using the "Loose Loop" technique

IT can be frustrating for those learning when it comes time to tie in materials to the hook shank. The dang stuff keeps spinning around the hook shank and never ends up where we want them.  A technique that we all use no matter how long we've been at it is what some call a loose loop. There's other names for it but it helps in tying in any type of material right where you want it to be. Personally I tell people to take a piece of marabou and practice this over and over. Then move to a different type of material such as chenille. Once you have this mastered - like many other techniques - it will help out later on.

1. Lay the material where you want it on the hook shank.

Never mind my narly fingers.......

2. Bring the thread up between your finger tips and pinch it.

3. Take the thread back over to the other side and back down  - Do not release the "pinch" on the thread. This creates a loop but keeps tension on the thread.

4. Bring the thread back up to the top and at the same time release the "pinch" This will tighten the thread down evenly on top of the material.

On some materials it can help to pinch the thread a second time when you initially take the thread down the far side. This further secures the fact that the thread/loop will evenly compress on the top of the material. Once tied in wrap forward to secure the material.

Note: - on the second pic - I have my index finger tip a bit forward of my thumb. I found that it also helps when - after you tighten the loop and begin to secure the material in with additional wraps forward,  to give the material a gentle push toward your body with your finger tip when you are wrapping on the far side. It helps to further secure the material where you want it.

post edited by steely34 - 2011/03/19 09:36:48

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: