"Just Getting Started"

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/19 08:13:04 (permalink)

"Just Getting Started"

The other night I gave a fly tying course for guys and gals just starting out.... a beginners course if you will - and something I really enjoy doing. One thing I've noticed through doing this in the past is that the main cause for frustration for those just starting out is the ability to maintain thread control/ tension when wrapping the hook. I've also noticed that many people have trouble starting the thread on the hook, finishing the fly, and when tying on the materials - maintaining control of the materials so that they stay in place as they are tied in. And this is all understandable. All the same problems I think we all had when we started out. And it's tough to go over this with a group of 5 or 6 people and show them the different methods used.

I know that there are those here that have just started getting into tying or would like to but don't know where to start. And without some type of direction - many may just give up out of frustration. I've learned that tying is what you make of it - that, yes, it can get frustrating but the neat thing about it is the learning never stops - doesn't matter how long you've been at it. There is so many different directions you can take it and like anything else - there is a learning curve that never straightens out.

Through giving courses, I've found that even before tying an entire fly, it works best if practice is done on the basics - starting the thread on the hook, finishing off the fly with a half hitch tool, and tying in materials. This is all shown before the actual fly is tied and I've found once people are comfortable with this - the frustration is much less to occur when the wooly bugger is first tied.

This tutorial section has grown in the past year or so through many people who have contributed and that is great! Although there are alot of great explanations of the steps involved - there's not much on the basics. I know I take alot for granted - and when I show someone something, I think of how best to explain it from their perspective.  I'm starting it out with the basics and as time goes on we can add to it items such as hair stacking, tying in hackle, and on and on. If anyone wants to add to it - feel free. Just start a new post and I'll pin it to the top so they don't get lost in the shuffle.  This wouldn't be the place for tutes on the entire fly - just different techniques. Full tutes on an individual fly would still be listed below these pins. We'll see how it works out but I know there are lots of people I think this could help explain some things to.

Our hope is to help someone who is just starting out. We've all been there. The great thing about it all is that there are so many resources out there now to learn. Hopefully, this can be just another one to add to the list....
So here's a few that I pinned to the top - starting the thread on the hook, tying in tinsel, ect. Hope in the future - these help those out there just getting started.

Steely

post edited by steely34 - 2011/03/19 15:33:12

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

2 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: "Just Getting Started" 2011/03/19 15:37:50 (permalink)
    Just wanted to add to this - that if there is something pertaining to tying that someone may be having trouble with - don't be afraid to mention it on here. Plenty of good people here willing to help.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: "Just Getting Started" 2011/03/20 09:50:59 (permalink)
    Steely,
    I am relatively new to tying.Thank you for the tutorials.Sometimes instructors assume we know simple things,to them but unknowing to us,leaving us very frustrated.You have to crawl before you walk,rather it's a whole lot easier.Thanks again
    Jump to: