2010/2011 Questions

Author
imrinc
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/10 07:03:49 (permalink)

2010/2011 Questions

The last few weeks of the season changed my mind from my post in early February about this being a "lost" season.

Here's a few questions:

Where were the crappies? Any consistent catches of quantity/quality at Presque Isle?

I've never tried off East Avenue, and I was really going to try that this year, but didn't get around to it. Am I missing anything there?

I heard rumors that fishing at Chatauqua was pretty good this year. Anybody with first hand experience on that? I haven't tried over there for 15 years or so.

I'm still intensely searching and researching Fireline and other "superlines", as to their effectiveness compared to mono, especially when going light after perch. On paper the superlines should be miracle workers. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but one of the main appeals to me is I can see the stuff to tie knots and detect bites, but if fish spook from seeing it, there would be no point. Anybody have opinions about that?

Any hot new lures/jigs you used? For me it was my first year using the Genz Worm, and it worked extremely well for me. Late experimenting with "Ice" Swedish Pimples with plastics (Wedgees and/or Whips) showed great promise.

I'm contemplating one more quick rush up to Simcoe before I stow my gear - what? ...about nine more months and we'll be at it again!

North Platte Bum

9 Replies Related Threads

chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/10 09:01:23 (permalink)
    imr...we saw quite a few crappie in the stinkhole with the uw cam but the perch seem to have first take at any presentation...we did catch a few when the perch were scarce...as for east ave i did hear of very good steelie action and a few perch but not too much else...ice fishing the lake proper has always been a little scary to me...as for the other questions about lk chat and superlines i cannot offer any info but will be checking out any info posted here as to a good light line for perch...thanks for the info you have given this year as it has helped me out considerably

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/10 16:14:30 (permalink)
    Glad I could be of some help...that's what this board is for, right?

Also, I used Seagaur InvisX 4# all season, which was new for me. It really is invisible! I like its properties except it is a tough job to tie knots, especially out on the ice.

North Platte Bum
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/10 18:50:13 (permalink)
    Been using 14-6 lb. Fireline since it came out for perching and flat line trolling harnesses. Use 30 for the dipsies. I love it.Use it for steelhead with florocarbon 5 ft. leader. No problems.
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/10 18:54:40 (permalink)
    But what about ice fishing? Some complaints I've read about are because it absorbs water, if its real cold and you're fishing without a heater or hut it will freeze on the spool. I think that is why they make ice fishing specific "superlines" - they are coated so that they do not absorb water. But when you trade off one feature, it usually weakens another, such as memory or knot strength.

North Platte Bum
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/11 08:13:42 (permalink)
    Good ?'s imrinc...

I have to say, this turned out to be my best season on the ice. Was the first full year for me using a flasher & my gps. Increased my catch exponentially. Can't wait to mark some spots this summer & check them on the ice next year.

Only fished PI at the freeze out, so can't offer my opinions there....
    but I had good luck on crappie at pyma....here's the last batch I brought home...

As for the fireline...love it for perchin...
    but have had bad luck fishing it outside the hut on windy days. I've tried the regular & the microice...
    I don't know that it 'absorbs' the water, but it seems to me it's the texture of the braid itself that doesn't let the water run off like it would on mono or floro. So when jigging in the wind, it ices up pretty quick. Just my take on it. I still keep one ice rod spooled up with it for use in the hut.

I use the palomar knot for braids, don't like how it sinches & holds on mono.
    The easiest knot I've found to tie mono on the ice is a simple surgeons loop.
    Quick, and you don't have to try to twist line around itself with frozen fingers. Just hold it close to the jig when you sich it tight & you'll end up with a small loop, perfect for horizontal jigs. Lets them hang free.
    I usually retie a few times a day, but didn't have a knot come loose all season.

Lures/jigs; I had great luck with the fiskas wolframs...did last year too, really like the tungsten. Got some marmooshkas this year, but never tried them much, could bring myself to cut the fiskas off. I'll make a better effort next year. Agree on the gentz bug...have them in clown & red/white, work good. I had good results with plastics this year too. Never could bring myself to leave the bait at home, but a couple times I could have. Bare platics impressed me.

Tight lines on the soft water.

post edited by Pork - 2011/03/11 08:15:25

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Denny Crane x2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/12 10:03:30 (permalink)
    Pork we had to have crossed paths at some point on Pymy because I was there nearly every weekend from the week before Christmas to the end of February.  I didn't get up into the numbers of crappies that I caught on some outings last year but I did catch fish on every outing, averaging 12 - 18 keeper crappies per trip.  A few things I learned/what worked for me:

1. Early in the season I spent a lot of money on gas for my 4x4 Dakota because of just enough snow to make traveling from Pittsburgh difficult.  I'd rather throw the sled in the Elantra hatchback and save gas.  Maybe I should do like the Amish ice fisherman and have a horse pull my shanty.
    2. Last year a small fathead on a cht. jighead was the hot bait, but this year I did SO MUCH BETTER using a 1/8 ounce silver buckshot spoon tipped with a minnow head.  Got the bait down to the fish, rattles called them in, and taking the bait away from the fish was key to getting tentative fish to strike.
    3. I bought a showdown and it was the best purchase I could have made.  I used to ice fish blind and would spend a long time trying to find the fish throughout the water column.  Now when fishing off the Jamestown launch I was able to see the fish suspended at 21 feet.  The showdown showed what kind of presentation the fish responded to best.
    4. Caught a nice mix of fish off of Manning and Tuttle: perch, crappies, small walleye, catfish, and one really nice keeper walleye.  Later in the season I fished Jamestown exclusively and it was mostly crappies.
    5. The perch I caught off Tuttle and Manning were bigger and more abundant than any of the perching I did on Presque Isle in the previous five years.

Question: Next year I would love to take a long weekend trip to the Western Basin of Lake Erie for walleye ice fishing.  I've read a little about Crane Creek and Metzger's Marsh.  Has anyone ever done this trip and if so can you share any info?

saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/12 16:08:24 (permalink)
    Bring your quad, stay on the trail, bring a gaff and LARGE jigging spoons. Some days are bust, some days are brilliant.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/12 18:19:12 (permalink)
    Straub beer and crappies!!!!  What a combination.   I fished pymy alot this winter as well.  First ice was real good.  No eyes but big crappie and perch.  Denny, I used the showdown this year as well.  First year ice fishing with a flasher.  Best investment I have ever made.   I have always used mono when ice fishing.  Never tried fireline or braid.  Will try fireline this season on one of my spinning rods and see how it works.  Best combo for my this winter was a pink jig with a minnow.  Did get 2 slabs jigging with vibes.
    HaveJeepCanGo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: 2010/2011 Questions 2011/03/12 22:44:49 (permalink)
    I saw as many muskies and pike on camera in PI Bay as I did crappie (1 each) until mid Feb.  when I hit the stinkhole (no bites, but 1 large school of BIG crappie) and 1 school @ condos.  I caught a total of 1 crappie this season.  I wondered the same thing about PI Bay's crappies all winter.  I even got to the point where I was hoping to catch some steel... they also never showed until late Feb. in any numbers. 

Perch fishing was intense most of the season.  Great numbers early and mid, and great fish late.  The catches were better and more exciting with working cameras, but my best night was without.  East Ave. has tempted me, but I just don't see myself ever targeting steel exclusively thru the ice.  With food-fish to be had, I'll go for them.  The exception is pike @ Eaton.  THAT was fun! 

Genz bug jig-heads above an orange kastmaster was by far my best bait rig for the second straight yr, but only with emeralds.  Strangely, grubs only brought smelt and tiny perch, except for the gills when I went after them.  To get the perch in a frenzy, I used the smallest rainbow Rapala I could find.  I caught prob. half my perch on that, and brought TONS of them to my camera and bait lines.  Used pimples for the 1st time, and they're fish catchers all right.  I'll be expanding that tray also.

I use Berkley Trilene XL in several weights exclusively for all my ice rigs, even tip ups (leaders off the braid).  I have nothing but great things to report on that line.  It doesn't get brittle, knots are strong and easy to tie, and it takes a beating from the holes and fish.  The fact that it costs under $10 for 300+ yds makes it my go to for everything from ice lines to fly fishing tippet.  I guarantee it's never cost me a fish.  I can blame lost fish on several other things, just not my XL.

I'll be selling my Frabill Recon and buying the Trekker next season.  I love the Recon, but need the 2nd seat.  Extra space while alone will be nice, too.  Also on the list for next season is a fish finder of some sorts for inland waters.  Cameras are great (dare I say mandatory) for clear water, but there's not much of that besides PI Bay. 
    Jump to: