raystown stripers

Author
dewey123
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 210
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/20 20:37:25 (permalink)

raystown stripers

Hey guys, Ive been thinking about a striper fishing trip on raystown lake. Im just wondering what to expect. I see people use live bait and troll. are they using live bait rigs to troll with or are they bottom fishing with live bait and when you get a nibble you reel it in then drop your line back to the bottom and wait. If it is bottom fishing i was thinking maybe taking my boat out that way and giving it a go myself for a day. Any other kind of info would be helpfull and areas to find stripers, depths, bait and set ups. PM me if you want. I know this is asking alot, but it is apreciated. thanks

10 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/20 21:14:16 (permalink)
    dewey,

We fished there for Stripers one week a few years back... used live bait nose hooked and slow trolled on rigs that allowed them to swim just below surface or weighted a bit to run them a bit above where fish are marked. But the best way to get info on them would be to contact the Pennsylvania Striped Bass association which is very active there.
    There is an outdoors show in Altoona next weekend at the Java. We probably are going to go on Sunday. I would suggest you go to it if you can and check out the PSBA booth and chat with the fellows there. If you are lucky a fellow named Denny will be there, he is great and we fished with him once and would again in a minute if the chance presented.
    Even if you can't go to the show check into contacting the PSBA for more info. Good luck in your search.
    Here's the link to the show...
    http://www.jaffashrineonline.com/SportsShow.html
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/21 09:53:42 (permalink)
    Thanks fisherlady, Ill look up the psba online and see what i can find. Id like to go but im actually living in NY now but lived in the pittsburgh area for a little while and come back to spend time with friends and my grandparents. I fish lake ontario out of olcott NY for trout and salmon stricly trolling and in the streams fall and winter. the boat never gets put away because we drift the lower niagara river all year round. I thought this might be kinda fun and different to do.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/21 10:16:27 (permalink)
    It is a lot of fun, but not an easy fishery to figure out. Definitely takes some time so getting with a guide cuts the learning curve.
    The lake is so deep, with so many extreme changes that it just can get overwhelming. Good luck in your search and hope you can find the info you need.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/21 13:13:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

dewey,

We fished there for Stripers one week a few years back... used live bait nose hooked and slow trolled on rigs that allowed them to swim just below surface or weighted a bit to run them a bit above where fish are marked. But the best way to get info on them would be to contact the Pennsylvania Striped Bass association which is very active there.
    There is an outdoors show in Altoona next weekend at the Java. We probably are going to go on Sunday. I would suggest you go to it if you can and check out the PSBA booth and chat with the fellows there. If you are lucky a fellow named Denny will be there, he is great and we fished with him once and would again in a minute if the chance presented.
    Even if you can't go to the show check into contacting the PSBA for more info. Good luck in your search.
    Here's the link to the show...
    http://www.jaffashrineonline.com/SportsShow.html

The PSBA is a great organization. They're very helpfull to new striper anglers. There's some great guys in that club.
    post edited by thedrake - 2011/02/21 13:14:34
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/21 13:16:18 (permalink)
    The website is: http://fishpsba.com/
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/21 13:33:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dewey123

Hey guys, Ive been thinking about a striper fishing trip on raystown lake. Im just wondering what to expect. I see people use live bait and troll. are they using live bait rigs to troll with or are they bottom fishing with live bait and when you get a nibble you reel it in then drop your line back to the bottom and wait. If it is bottom fishing i was thinking maybe taking my boat out that way and giving it a go myself for a day. Any other kind of info would be helpfull and areas to find stripers, depths, bait and set ups. PM me if you want. I know this is asking alot, but it is apreciated. thanks

Most guys on raystown troll their live bait under planers while moving very slowly. I'd say the most common rig is a weight attached or in front of a barrel swivel, with 5-10 feet of flouro leader material behind the swivel with a circle or octopus hook through the mouth of a shad or alewife. The depth you want your bait below the planer depends on the depth you are marking fish.

Hope this helps.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/21 14:29:46 (permalink)
    We also had luck pulling jointed cranks behind boards over submerged treetops.

Watch out for the other boaters, their navigation skills are often less than friendly and they like to run between your boat and your boards to cut you off!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/22 09:34:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys, any suggestions on a guide to use? Yeah its a wonder some people with boats can even start them the way they drive. We get the same thing trolling on lake ontario. The people that know what theyre doing dont do this but people that dont have a clue to catching salmon will drive over your lines and zig zag over your lines across your path especially when your catching fish. Its bad running copper lines 400 feet back or flat lining for browns 150 feet back.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/02/22 10:08:45 (permalink)
    PM sent
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: raystown stripers 2011/03/01 11:13:09 (permalink)
    We are going with Lunker Guide Service May 23rd. I will let you know how we do. I fished it twice before with no stripers and a few lakers and 1 walleye. Different guide those 2X's.
    Jump to: