Raystown Dam tailrace ?

Author
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/20 11:12:00 (permalink)

Raystown Dam tailrace ?

I'm going to out this way in May to fish the big lake with Lunker guide service. Where we are staying is only 3 miles from the dam. I know there is good trout fishing in the tailrace. Any suggestions on what to use and wading access would be helpful. What can I expect to catch(trout species wise) and how heavy of gear should I use based on fish size. I am a fairly good stream angler that can use both spin and fly. Please feel free to PM me if you do not want to reply here. I'm not looking to spot burn and ask about specific holes and what not, just trying to gain some general info on the area.
Thanks !
JEB

2 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Raystown Dam tailrace ? 2011/02/20 22:09:21 (permalink)
    Jeb - they used to stock the area heavily.  Not sure about now.   We lazy float it now.    We get in right where the first island starts to split which is right below the parking lot to access the tailrace.  You can usually wade across there.  You should be okay in May just be careful.  If the visibility is bad it'd be wise to forget it.  It's got to be pumping water to get that deep green color.  The parking side of the island has some consistent flow and holds trout till the water gets too warm.  You never know what you'll catch there but I wouldn't expect trout any bigger than stockers.  No doubt some huge fish there but you'd have to spend some considerable time or get lucky.

The stripers up in the tailrace will start cruising from the outflow to about the island once the sun goes down.  They'll do it till sun up.. if you're interested in that.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Raystown Dam tailrace ? 2011/02/21 07:05:22 (permalink)
    Thanks !
    Jump to: