Just wondering?

Author
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/16 09:12:44 (permalink)

Just wondering?

How many subscribers are in favor of the antler restrictions . I know I wouldn't mind at all if the this just went away and we went back to the way it used to be. Never was in favor to begin with knowing the doe kill would be bureaucratic extermination of our deer herd.

24 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/16 10:06:19 (permalink)
    We did this back in December...went 12 whole pages before the lock down.
    At final tally, those in favor of AR were ahead 36-19.

A couple stragglers voted after that, pushing the total to just over 67% in favor of AR.

The vote on Heard Reduction was almost exactly opposite, with 67% against HR.

Here's the thread...just in case you're looking to lose a couple hours of your life.
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_359959/mpage_12/key_/tm.htm

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/16 10:12:25 (permalink)
    Pork  .... Thanks for the thread wasnt aware of its existence, just had knee surgery and was sitting here with a bottle of vicodin to keep me company?
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/16 10:26:41 (permalink)
    Wow! just opened it you could feel the love on page 1. I suppose a simple Yes/No like James:5 7-12 sais would be enough. Ya know be like a child do you like me ? circle yes if you do or no if you dont....
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/16 11:29:10 (permalink)
    I like you a little.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/16 11:57:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Tull66 gettin a little teary eyed right now 
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/18 16:19:58 (permalink)
    Imo, Those polls proved absolutly nothing. There is only one way to get a accurate vote & that now we have the capability via computers to issue separate license on the spot. I reccomended that the PGC set a 5 yr. moratoriam giving hunters the choice to select for that period whether they want to go to the old system or go with A.R. Unfortunatly the Comm. will not answer my proposal. At the end of the period then see what the actual choice is.Out of the thousands of people registered on this site only approx.75 voted? Now even some of the bioligists agree that there is no real reason for the health of the herd to go with A.R. at least that is what I got from reading some reports in the Penna. Game News & other pubs. Bucks are born with the genes that they are going to pass on,they don't magicaly get them when they get 3 yrs old, Also genes are passed on by females, wich doesn't seem to count for some.If you are serious about protecting the mature bucks,ask yourself ,when are the bucks most vulnerable to hunters, then ask why hunters are allowed to hunt during the rut? As far as most hunters being against H.R. how can the PGC sell so many tags if that is true? If anyone wants to hold off for a mature buck,go for it. Why try to force others to follow your belief? sam
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/18 18:15:55 (permalink)
    I have seen piles of AR polls conducted, they all tell the same story, which is that 60-70% of hunters are in favor of ARs in PA.

crappie, no one is trying to protect the mature bucks by any stretch of the imagination. We are trying to protect yearling bucks, and by protecting 50% of them it is working. A mature buck (4.5+YO) is always going to be rare in PA with the amount of hunters we have.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/18 20:55:59 (permalink)
    I question the need to protect the yearling bucks if that is the reason for A.R. if so many people are in favor of A.R. ,then what would it hurt to go back the way it was. My point is people will say one thing then do another,which is why in my opinion the PGC won't give my method a chance. If you are for A.R. then it shouldn't bother anyone to do so. Same thing for H.R. how many people do you know complain about it, then go and geta doe tag or 3 ? As for how many people are supposed to be for A.R.,I am completely baffled because I can honestly say that from coming in contact with hundreds of hunters at meetings & in the fields here in 2b That the vast majority indicated that they wanted to go back to the way it was.Every meeting that I was at,when polled, the members said the same.I have also talked to more guys this year that said they were quitting because of the present method. sam
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/18 22:10:05 (permalink)
    mr.crappie I have talked with many of the hunters in our area Albion,Pa. 1-B out of all the hunters maybe 3 or 4 were alright with AR and those guys were always like that wanting big racks. As for the overwhelming majority of people we didn't want AR or the doe slaughter from the day Alt came here with his entourage .  We want the way it was also, the amount of deer we have left now is disheartening from only a couple of years back. Its like esox  sais he wants to protect yearling bucks and 4 and one half year ones are rare. So the majority will take a doe cause they cant see the brow tine . remember 60-70 % want antler restrictions HIS STATEMENT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE DOES IT!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/19 15:09:06 (permalink)
    Again, it has been proven time and time again that 60-70% of PA hunters (not just 1B Albion hunters) support AR. It is not my statement, it is what the polls say.

If I were to go around to our local hunting shops and some of the sportsman clubs in the area, I am confident that over 90% of the hunters support AR. Go figure. Neither mine nor your observations are representative of PA as a whole.
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/19 16:29:34 (permalink)
    Not only do I support antler restrictions, I think junior hunters(etc.) should abide by them also. I don't want to hear that it is the only way to get little Johnny off of his video games, either. Young people need to stop having everything handed to them so they don't lose interest. I have hunted since I was 12(now 45) and hunted by the same rules as everyone else. I still hunt. NOT BECAUSE SOMEONE MADE IT EASY FOR ME, BECAUSE I LIKE IT. It seems like we have to pass on a deer so that little Johnny can shoot it instead. If antler restrictions are a good idea, shouldn't we all follow them?
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/19 19:42:14 (permalink)
    Little Johnny hater!
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/19 21:16:31 (permalink)
    Haven't broke the law very careful to adhere to current regulations here in Albion,Pa. 1-B , Just afraid little Johny might hold his breath if things don't change!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/20 08:16:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fishtamer

If antler restrictions are a good idea, shouldn't we all follow them?

NO. Let the kids kill. Take a kid out the first week and he/she kills a spike, you probably just hooked that kid the rest of their life. Take them out the first week and freeze em everyday and they dont get a shot, they might not be so quick to go back.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/20 11:50:50 (permalink)
    Aint tryin to change minds your either for or against (Just wondering?)
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/22 14:47:07 (permalink)
    Here's how I talk to folks to get their opinions on the PGC, fishing issues, or hunting issues...

#1 only ask questions of a samll group (2 or 3 at most)... rarely if ever more than that...
    FOR EXAMPLE === I MAY ASK ===

..how much time spent scouting
    ..how many days did they hunt..
    ..how many deer they saw compared to the last year
    ..were they happy with their season
    ..did they harvest anything
    ..private or public lands

At the club there are many times at the sportmen's meetings that the whole floor is open and everyone is giving their 2 cents ... I just listen and at times comment.. never take these as an over all feeling of what any one person thinnks or really feels.. if I really want survey type results .. weighing individual feelings --- it's always one on one.... or a "hand-out" to answer questions on...

I never ask do they or did they like herd reduction...

no one is going to say yes they liked/like it.. plus the major part of it was over years ago.. they(PGC) are trying to keep it where it is... stable to slightly growing on bad harvest years...

I did not even really like Herd reduction.. but I understood what the reason for wanting to reduce the herd was and figured I could still be successful, it would take more scouting time and
    I may have to change locations.. all of which I figured I was smart enough to accomplish...

why do I only ask these questions of a small group .. simple.. it's human nature to at times go along with the crowd... rather than agrue or be the odd guy ...

even at the club most of our votes are by secret ballet .... and when I ask all the folks there about deer subjects.. it's always one on one.. never in a group...

If a bunch of hands go up for a vote and someone who is not in favor of that many times they will not vote at all or rather than have their hand be one of a few that disagree they will just go along with the crowd and raise their hand rather than segregate themselves as being opposed... I've seen it zillions of times in my life... feel one way vote the other in a "public" vote...

ARs have always been an "I'm in favor of them" vote with hunters around here, they like seeing the older bigger bucks..

some of the "meat hunters" do not really like them but they too like seeing and look forward to the day they shoot that "biggest buck I have ever shot" .....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/22 14:49:17
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/23 08:22:48 (permalink)
    25,236. members, Just wondering how many were for AR/HR or against.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/23 09:55:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

Out of the thousands of people registered on this site only approx.75 voted?

only 75 of us are dumb enough to come down here and read the same arguments repeated every week or so

... and only about 15 (not an exact number, i have no studies to prove it) are people who post multiple times on a daily basis in the hunting sections

I agree with you though in the easiest way is to ask when people buy their license, it's just like the migratory bird survey except you only get two choices "yes" or "no"

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Just wondering? 2011/02/24 15:00:31 (permalink)
    +1

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    Twowithone
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: RE: Just wondering? 2013/09/16 03:26:20 (permalink)
    Bullmalarky why on earth would you put ar on a SRA that's over populated with deer. Gary Alt was told to sell the package and he did his job. Funny everyone says your protecting the yearling buck but the hunters are blasting the BB makes a whole lot of since. Im against the whole package. Go back too the way it was.

09-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    Re: RE: Just wondering? 2013/09/26 15:19:17 (permalink)
    For AR, against HR. But not setup the way they are in there current seasons. I'd be more for AR if we went back to 2 weeks of buck only, than a few days of doe season. With them running concurrent now, more hunters are gonna whack a doe, and most likely kill more buttons.

BH
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: RE: Just wondering? 2013/10/11 15:23:05 (permalink)
    I see no valid reason for AR.....WF

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: RE: Just wondering? 2013/10/24 09:56:35 (permalink)
    For AR,tired of HR
    Wish we would get rid of all these doe seasons in archery(muzzle and firearms)
    Wish we would go back to separate firearms season for buck and doe also.
    On the fence about crossbows for archery-I use one (I have bad back and shoulder)but little concerned about how many NEW archers are hitting the woods.

GONNA KEEP ON HUNTING BY THE REGULATIONS HOWEVER THEY WRITEM'......
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: RE: Just wondering? 2013/10/24 10:21:46 (permalink)
    I don't care about antlers on the wall.  Mounted one 10 point, that's enough. I want venison in the freezer.   I like it when I come up on the doe I shot only to find out it was a button buck.  That's one more doe left to reproduce.
    Jump to: