Baitcaster people.....

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/03 20:38:03 (permalink)

Baitcaster people.....

as I mentioned in a previous post I'm upgrading my rods and reels and need some advice from knowledgeable baitcasting guys. currently own 2 Penn Sargus low profile baitcasters. Each reel weighs 9.5 oz. When looking at the newer baitcasting rods they're so much lighter than they used to be, hence the lighter reels to go with them. I'm seeing reels that weigh 4 to 6 oz. and match up nicely with the lighter rods. Now 9.5 oz. isn't that much heavier but I really want to match these reels up with the correct rod in terms of balance, weight and castability. Will be using them for bass, pike and eyes, probably with braid on one and mono or fluoro on the other. Driving myself nuts shopping/researching the different sites in trying to pick the right rods. Powells, Shimanos and St Croix are looking good, but would like opinions on rod length, power and action to go with thise reels. So please, MATCH MY REELS.......

3 Replies Related Threads

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Baitcaster people..... 2011/02/04 00:49:07 (permalink)
    For pike and bass I recommend a 7' medium heavy rod.

Walleyes, 7' medium.

In my experience a 7' rod gives you the best all around performance. I own rods that are 6'6", 7', 7'6", and find that the 7 footers are my most used rods. They can be used for alot of different situations and different techniques.
    An example, if I'm pitching plastic around weeds for bass then I mainly use the medium heavy rod. If I'm throwing a jerkbait or crankbait, the medium gets the nod. You'll find that with those 2 actions you'll be able to cover just about any technique you may use for any of the species you mentioned.

If I may also suggest, check out Kistler rods. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can custom build a Z Bone or go with a stock Magnesium, Helium, or Carbon Steel.

Sent you a PM with a little more info.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Baitcaster people..... 2011/02/04 10:15:16 (permalink)
    for plastics, flippin and pitchin a longer rod is better I also like a fast rod for this.  i like a shorter rod 6' for spinnerbait fishing in a med/fast or med action.  for throwing cranks i like a 7' med action rod.  also you have a heavier reel so you should take the reel with you and put it in the rod to check for balance.  you may have to go to an older style rod, im6 or glass, to get the balance.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Baitcaster people..... 2011/02/05 05:22:02 (permalink)
    PM sent to ready2fish
    Jump to: