Which flies for PA

Author
greenhead55
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 290
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/15 09:52:23 (permalink)

Which flies for PA

Guys I am in the process of tying and filling my box but had a question.  Since there are so many flies to choose from which do you guys tie to fill your PA box ?  I make Pheasant tails, copper johns, hares ears and buggers.  What else are must haves ?  Midges ? Scuds ?  Looking for some help.  Thanks !

28 Replies Related Threads

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/15 10:04:45 (permalink)
    Bead head pheasant tail nymphs. My all time go to nymph. A few stonefly nymphs are helpful too.
    If you're going to be fishing any of the limestone streams in SC PA a scud pattern is a good idea. For the majority of PA freestone streams scuds aren't needed.
    heres a short list of flies that I like to have plenty of for fishing PA's stocked freestone streams
    Strawberry pink blo bug- Stocked rainbows in March or early April? Heres your fly.
    Black Wooly Bugger- obvious
    Bead Head Pheasant Tail- My all around number 1 fly
    Stone fly nymphs- I do woven stones, but simpler patterns willw ork fine. I've seen guys with rubber legged albino stones clean up on Kinzua creek

I fish very few "standard" dry flies, so I'm hesitant to suggest patterns. However, heres the recipe for my favorite dry fly, its ugly, but it catches fish-

Blue Dun Usual Emerger
    Hook- Size 18 or 16 curved shank fine wire emerger hook
    thread- Fine black or dark brown (10/0 or 12/0)
    tail- 5 or 6 fibers of blue dun snowshoe hare foot
    body- Blue dun extra fine dry fly dubbing, beaver fur
    wing- clump of blue dun snowshoe hare foot
    head- thread

Not a pretty fly, but its a killer. Snowshoe hair is a little difficult to work with if you're new to it.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/15 13:25:13 (permalink)
    How about a pic of that one, son? :)

greenhead, I come at fly fishing from the opposite angle as son, preferring dries, streamers, and wet flies over nymphs.

Like he said, though, your fly selection will depend somewhat on what kinds of streams you're fishing. In any even, a good all purpose dry box will have:

Stimulators, in yellow and/or orange. Size 12-14 is a good range. Early season, fish them on those few days where stonefly adults are buzzing around, in the summer they work as a hopper, and anytime they make a great attractor, as well as a big, visible, buoyant fly to hang a nymph from. They're also good for those really small streams with natives, because the fish aren't that picky, they'll float forever, and you can see and follow them in the most choppy pocket water.

Parachute adams, sizes 12-16. This is the dry to fish before, during, and after nearly any mayfly hatch, if you don't have the proper specific imitation. It can function as an emerger, dun, or spinner, and with a post of white calf body hair, is surprisingly visible. Takes some practice to learn to tie, but is still less fussy than upright, divided wings. I usually tie mine with a tail of moose hair, just as a personal preference.

Griffiths gnat, size 18-22. This covers any fly too small to be imitated by the para-adams, especially midges. This is the fly to use when you see fish rising but cant see any insect that they're rising to. This tie can be tweaked a bit for specific colors. A stream I fish a good bit gets a bunch of tiny light brown midges and micro caddis in late august. I tie a griffiths gnat with brown hackle instead of grizzly and it works well. Ginger may work even better, but I don't have any ginger that small.

Elk hair caddis, size 12-18. This tie is incredibly versatile, and in proper sizes and colors, can match any caddis you'll come across. Drift it, skate it, drown it, or even throw a bit of shot on your tippet and dredge it through some riffles as an egg-layer. This is a classic for a reason. If there are caddis about, and the fish are reacting to them, you can get them on this fly.
    JoeySimms
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/15 16:26:34 (permalink)
    gotta have the cliches, but if you are inclined to be up top as much as possible, the satisfaction out of fishing actual emergers is gratifying.  My hook-up rates aren't near as high fishing emergers, smart fish really get a good profile of these, especially if they are subsurface and up top...

my emerger needs:
    8-12 green drakes
    12-14 cahills both light and cream, as well as sulphurs and iso's
    green and tan caddis with just dubbing, no hackle.  you get the best of both worlds in terms of an emerger style and hi-vis

example of the sulphur emerger... I know a guy that ties it w. the hook-point inverse to this, which helps a lot.

midges... zebras dropped from something hi riding like the g-nat

now, i just carry a pill bottle of attractor dries for most of my freestone small wilds.  wolfs, stimy's, adams, and cahills for those outing that last until dark or stained water. 

i get on a hopper kick every summer.

it's winter man, fish your stones, midge larvae, caddis larvae, and typical pt's/hares ears deep and slow. 
    post edited by JoeySimms - 2011/01/15 16:44:35
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/15 16:40:43 (permalink)
    2x on small black stone fly nymphs and elk hair caddis. i also am a fan of buggers for most fish in pa.
    greenhead55
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/16 09:29:13 (permalink)
    Do you guys dead drift the buggers ?  Also do you tandem your buggers or run them alone ?
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/16 09:31:03 (permalink)
    i do dead drift 'em and for me they drift alone
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/16 16:18:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: greenhead55

Do you guys dead drift the buggers ?  Also do you tandem your buggers or run them alone ?

Drift, swing, strip. White, black, olive, brown, in that order.
    JoeySimms
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/16 19:39:20 (permalink)
    you could just use live minnows hooked to a nymph... some real action there.  
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/16 21:30:22 (permalink)
    midges for winter and early spring and what you listed for later but dries have a place
    for sure like elk hair cadddis simulators just to name a couple.but in my opinion you shouild carry multiple
    stages of aquatic life in the colors of the naterals of your home waters.
    post edited by fishenfool46 - 2011/01/16 21:31:14

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/17 10:54:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JoeySimms

you could just use live minnows hooked to a nymph... some real action there.  

Technically not fly fishing...

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/21 19:21:56 (permalink)
    Cold,

I'm chaining myself to my vise Saturday and making your list!

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/21 20:36:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: luvinbluegills

Cold,

I'm chaining myself to my vise Saturday and making your list!

To get a couple of eachof those patterns in each of those sizes, that's quite a bit of tying! If you accomplish it, though, and throw them in a compartment box, you'll have the right fly for nearly any occasion you might happen upon in a PA freestone. After that, its just replacing lost flies and stocking up on patterns you go through regularly.

Stimmies can be a pain in smaller sizes, but I use so many of them that any time I feel the least bit inclined to tie them, I'll drop whatever I happen to be tying and switch to them and tie till I can't take anymore. I did up a dozen in #14 last week and a few in #16...now I'm on lime trudes.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/25 11:17:04 (permalink)
    I have to agree with the Griffiths gnat & elk hair, I've caught plenty of "non rising" fish on these. I am by no means as good of a fly fisher as most on the forum, but I catch a few fish here and there. I also like a mosquito fly from time to time, caught my 1st fly rod trout ever on one of these my 1st time out with a fly rod.
    I also like buggers, san juan worms and egg pattens for early pellet heads & some terrestials later in the year.
    Gonna try my luck with some hares ear, PT and copper johns on some wild fish in May.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/25 13:32:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

olive, white, brown, black in that order!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/25 15:06:07 (permalink)
    Picky, picky....
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/25 15:22:21 (permalink)
    Olive, Black, White, Brown, in that order, if you really must know!
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/25 16:38:24 (permalink)

Stimmies can be a pain in smaller sizes, but I use so many of them that any time I feel the least bit inclined to tie them, I'll drop whatever I happen to be tying and switch to them and tie till I can't take anymore. I did up a dozen in #14 last week and a few in #16...now I'm on lime trudes.

I haven't tried tying them smaller than a #10 yet, but I really should. I use them in 6 and 10, but I guess a 16 couldn't hurt! :)

By the way, what hair do you prefer on them? I experimented with a few different hairs and I like elk for it's manageability, but I have several scrap pieces of deer skin that a taxidermist traded me for flies (he guides) and aside from 6,375, 989 Black Nosed Dace I need to start making something else with it!

Adventures with Fish
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/25 16:41:54 (permalink)
    Right now my go-to list is pretty simple. #10 Wooly Buggers in Olive and in Black, #10 Zug Bug weighted, #10 olive damsel nymph, #6 white Zonker, #10 notta bugger (1 marabou feather tied on a hook in either white or brown usually), #16 brown/olive hare's ear unweighted, and on the surface stimulators and orange foam beetles.

I carry about a BILLION other dries, nymphs and streamers, but those are the choice when it's absolutely time to catch fish.

Adventures with Fish
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/26 07:20:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Olive, Black, White, Brown, in that order, if you really must know!

haha! I guess I was wrong!

Still, I think it says something about the popularity of those colors.

Gills,

I tie em almost exclusively with bleached elk hair, for visibility and no other reason (as opposed to any other hollow hair). I used to only tie them in 8 and 10, but tried a few in 14 and it was like night & day. Deer hair should work, but the deer hair you'd use on stimulators is not the same hair you'd use on a BND. Was it body hair or bucktail that he gave you? The dace is a killer pattern, though.

As far as your go to list, it looks pretty good. I'd cross off all the nymphs, and probably the foam beetle, and replace them with a griffiths gnat, para adams, some slip-winged wets, and some hairwing streamers. Maybe a soft hackle or two as well.
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/26 22:19:06 (permalink)

Gills,

I tie em almost exclusively with bleached elk hair, for visibility and no other reason (as opposed to any other hollow hair). I used to only tie them in 8 and 10, but tried a few in 14 and it was like night & day. Deer hair should work, but the deer hair you'd use on stimulators is not the same hair you'd use on a BND. Was it body hair or bucktail that he gave you? The dace is a killer pattern, though.

As far as your go to list, it looks pretty good. I'd cross off all the nymphs, and probably the foam beetle, and replace them with a griffiths gnat, para adams, some slip-winged wets, and some hairwing streamers. Maybe a soft hackle or two as well.

Tying the 14s being night and day...do you mean in how the fish responded? After whipping together a dozen 10s last weekend, I'm confident I could do 14s, I just hafta take my time sizing the hackle.

It's all body hair that he gave me. I really didn't want anything because I tie far more than I lose while fishing and always get to the point where I have far more flies than I'll ever use and just like to give them away. He's a good guy who guides Smallies on Erie part time and I just wanted to give him another weapon for the arsenal but when he came out with a garbage bag full of  pieces I gave him the obligatory 2 refusals and then ran the bag to my car! Lol!

By the way, I tried using Caribou once and man, one tight wrap and that stuff flares like exploding fireworks! I like it for small spun bugs that I want to be extra "chewy".

Adventures with Fish
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/27 07:21:45 (permalink)
    Yep, talking fish response. I think it was a simple matter of tossing something a small wild fish can actually fit in its mouth, as opposed to a big 8 or 10. For hackle, I use a whiting midge saddle for the body, and then a normal, properly sized hackle for the head.

I have Caribou but rarely use it. Might have to try it for spinning hair on something small.
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/27 12:43:53 (permalink)
    pictures for us rookies would be helpful and enjoyable... you guys willing to post any?

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

trout man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/28 09:58:57 (permalink)
    Hello all

Greenhead. All of the fly choices mentioned are great fish catchers. One that i have good success with is a hares ear like pattern. Basically its a beadhead design with a dubbed body and pheasant fiber tail. I tie them in sizes 12 and 14, and occassinonally use a 10. My most effective colors are gold bead with a black or gray body. A simple tie with no frills. Takes less than 2 minutes to tie. Just pick out the fibers on the bottom of the fly right behind the bead to simulate legs. Good luck

Tight lines everyone!
    Trout Man
    post edited by trout man - 2011/01/28 10:03:58
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/28 12:56:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

pictures for us rookies would be helpful and enjoyable... you guys willing to post any?

Google is your friend. All of the patterns I mentioned are well known patterns, with plenty of pictures, variations, step-by-steps, etc.
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/28 18:20:32 (permalink)
    sure, lots of good resources out there...was just looking to enjoy some art work by some of the board members.

~by Henry David Thoreau~

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/28 20:00:30 (permalink)
    Ah I see. I got a stimmy tute over in that section. Other than that, I don't think I've taken photos of any of those flies.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/29 11:14:46 (permalink)
    Don't fly fish a lot anymore but winter time midges,dries,olive or black with grizzly hackle, size 20 and 22, should be in the box. Sunnydays in Feb can really bring them out. Also, blue wing olive dries, size 16, 18and 20 really do good in March and April in many areas...WF
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Which flies for PA 2011/01/30 08:37:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

olive, white, brown, black in that order!!

bLu /thread.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Jump to: