Author
Fisherboys Mom
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/10 13:07:44 (permalink)

Newbie Ice fishing Help

Hi!
My 9 year old has recently become obsessed with fishing, and now has been hounding us to go ice fishing.
He got a basic ice fishing kit with a few tip ups for Christmas and now wants to go at GreenPond, NJ ( on the Border of NY State)
Frankly as a Mom, I find the whole idea unappealing ( I don't like being cold) and scary.

Any beginner advice, safety tips, or web sites you could point me too would be appreciated.

BTW-There are lake trout, rock bass, large & small mouth bass,pickerel, perch and sunfish in the lake.

I plan on sipping tea by a roaring fire, watching him and dad freezing their butts off on the ice though the window, with 911 hooked up to speed dial.

It is a fine line between "hobby" And Obsession

5 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Newbie Ice fishing Help 2011/01/11 09:03:32 (permalink)
    Welcome to the world of fishing, if you want information on ice fishing, check out www.iceshanty.com , that place is loaded with way more information than you'll ever need.

jman0998
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Newbie Ice fishing Help 2011/01/11 21:27:28 (permalink)
    wow he sounds just like me. if the tip ups come prerigged just go to walmart and buy some nitecrawlers, assuming you have an auger to drill holes. if not an axe will due. just a small split shot with a crawler on a hook will be just fine to catch some fish to keep him happy. maybe even a walleye if hes lucky

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to buy a rod, a reel, line, sinkers, swivels, hooks, leaders, lures, crankbaits, live bait, soft plastics and bobbers.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Newbie Ice fishing Help 2011/01/12 08:24:24 (permalink)
    Mom:

Must be someone near you who got him interested in ice fishing. Would be a good idea for you and him to go out one day with that person to see what it is like. They can give you the details of how much is involved in ice fishing. I find at that age their interest drops quickly if they aren't catching any fish and the weather is cold. Make sure he and you bundle up and bring along chairs for sitting while you wait for any action.

Eagle Ed
    craveman85
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Newbie Ice fishing Help 2011/01/20 14:31:26 (permalink)
    a shanty is nice expecially for little fingers that can get frostbit quite quickly.

if at first you dont succeed... blow it up.

you want organic? well then shut the &^$() up and eat a *$&#*( squirrel.
    jman0998
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Newbie Ice fishing Help 2011/01/20 15:59:43 (permalink)
    yah take it from another kid who ice fishes. fishing without a shanty sucks when your starting out.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to buy a rod, a reel, line, sinkers, swivels, hooks, leaders, lures, crankbaits, live bait, soft plastics and bobbers.
    Jump to: