Night fishing and lights

Author
wiperman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/27 17:14:20 (permalink)

Night fishing and lights

Does anyone use or have an opinion on the submersible fishing lights or even placing a piece of plexiglass over the hole and shining a flashlight into the water? I've heard of success in the summer, but the hard water?

9 Replies Related Threads

nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2010/12/29 21:03:58 (permalink)
      I have seen the effects of a light through the ice.. I have actually seen the plankton and  ko-pee  pods  come in as time goes by.. back  then i didn't use a vex, or i might of been able to say.. Yes or no did it in fact draw in bigger fish..?? 10 ft. depth is probably about it depending on clarity.. I reccomend looking into  L.E.D.  effecient !!!     NW/

Fish On !!!
    wiperman
    New Angler
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2010/12/30 18:16:03 (permalink)
    I will give it a try on the next outing and report on the success or failure.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2010/12/30 19:01:39 (permalink)
    I once dropped my mag light down a hole. Fished for 3hrs. and caught some nice crappie.
    The light was still glowing nicely when I left...:(

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2010/12/31 00:42:18 (permalink)
    Mika,

I dropped one striper fishing one time. Watched it shine up at me all night. I had a great night catching, and wanted to anchor in the same spot the following night. I was obviously pretty accurate, as when I went to drop the back anchor. I looked down, and saw the light shining up at me. After 24 hours. Just a cheap Eveready flashlight, and batteries. But apparently a good one, which I naturally HAD to sacrifice the lake.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2010/12/31 16:31:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

I once dropped my mag light down a hole. Fished for 3hrs. and caught some nice crappie.
    The light was still glowing nicely when I left...:(
              LOL               NW/

Fish On !!!
    muskiemeat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2011/01/07 15:58:05 (permalink)
    i tried a submersible fishing light last year for crappies....they disappeared from the flasher once i lowered into the hole. plus you need a car battery to run them things long enough lol.. i wish it would work. but from the reading i have done specifically walleyes at night are very weary and i heard of people fishing by candlelight so as not to spook them. 

Fish to live...live to fish

One Burbot, One Scotch, One Beerg
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2011/01/07 17:40:05 (permalink)
    I've used them off and on over the years.  A couple of years ago at Yough Dam after dark all the walleyes I caught on a deep diving thunderstick came as the lure was coming to the surface right at the edge of where the light seemed to loose its effectiveness. That was during the spring time though.

Also in the winter about 35 years ago we would fish Lake Somerset at night with a lantern in a shanty and we did great on crappies a couple of nights that year. We tried it again a couple of years ago at the same lake and it didn't do anything.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2011/01/09 10:08:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Mika,

I dropped one striper fishing one time. Watched it shine up at me all night. I had a great night catching, and wanted to anchor in the same spot the following night. I was obviously pretty accurate, as when I went to drop the back anchor. I looked down, and saw the light shining up at me. After 24 hours. Just a cheap Eveready flashlight, and batteries. But apparently a good one, which I naturally HAD to sacrifice the lake.

Lol I saw a strang glow at Marine one year...thought it was a ufo...:)

wiperman
    New Angler
    RE: Night fishing and lights 2011/01/14 16:23:08 (permalink)
    Well, tried it out last Saturday night. Didn't work at all. As a matter of fact, I think it scared the fish away. A normal spot that keeps the Vexilar busy had nothing on it for about 4 hours until I left. My next task will be to see if pure darkness (vs lighting in the shanty) does better.
    Jump to: