The "Gurgler"

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/23 10:49:48 (permalink)

The "Gurgler"

The Gurgler is a top water pattern that originated from Jack Gartside (God rest him) and it is one that is successful for many different species of fish. History has it that Mr. Gartside wanted to create a topwater pattern that would lie "in the film" of the water - not just ride on top. That way the fly would not be pushed away from the fish when they came up to take it and since it was developed there has been many variations to it. Anyway, I began tying some of these recently in prep for a jaunt my son and I are taking next summer to Alaska. They say that the Silvers hit these hard first thing in the morning in the backwater and they suggested I bring quite a few up with us. This is how they tie them where we're going so since it's been a while since there's been a tute on here - Just thought I'd put this one up. As usual - colors and materials can vary to suit. 
And by the way.......... I just cannot imagine taking silvers on top.......... I'm beginning to have dreams about it..

Materials:

1. Start the thread near the bend of the hook.

2. Tie in a sparse clump of polarfiber and top with 5 or 6 strands of flashabou.

3. Lay over top a sparse clump of Artic Fox and tie in. You can also spin this in on a dubbing loop if you want.

4. Some patterns call for just one piece of foam - for the top. For this, I used three pieces - two for the sides (which are narrower) and one for the top.
Cut the leading edges on a taper (which cuts down on bulk) of the side pieces and tie them in. Wrap back to the bend, then move the thread back to the front again.

5. Tie in the top piece of foam - again cutting the leading edge on a taper prior to tying in. Wrap to the rear. When all the foam pieces are secure - tightly wrap the body - compressing the foam.

6. Tie in the saddle and palmer forward - tie off.

7. While pulling down on the hackle - pull the side pieces of foam forward and tie off. Do each one at a time.

8. If need be - trim any loose hackle fibers from the top. Using superglue - coat the top of the fly, and pull the top piece of foam forward and tie off. Here you can either cut the side pieces tight and add eyes or let them long for added splashing when pulled through the water. Trim off the top piece and whip finish.

post edited by steely34 - 2010/12/23 10:56:34

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

1 Reply Related Threads

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: The "Gurgler" 2010/12/23 12:13:52 (permalink)
    Nice Steely! Never tried a gurgler with the foam on the sides like that. I will have to tie a few like that for future bass trips Thanks for sharing!

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    Jump to: