under water cameras

Author
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 846
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/22 11:21:37 (permalink)

under water cameras

Hey folks first off Merry Christmas have a safe one.  Okay so i am seriously considering getting an underwater camera for ice fishing and maybe for calm days on the boat down at cross creek.  Can anybody give me any infomation on them.  I am looking for ppl who have used them and had a good or bad experience with them.  Thanks for the help

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING

12 Replies Related Threads

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 11:39:52 (permalink)
    I've had one for about 8 years. I rarely use it. I have primarily used it to scout for structure on new lakes or on new areas of familiar lakes. I've found that when I use it, I sit way too long over negative fish because I can see them and it becomes a quest to catch them. Instead I should be beating feet to find active fish. Also, since it takes longer to drill a camera hole, unwind the cable, and get it positioned towards the bait, I'm less likely to move because of the hassle of repacking/unpacking the camera.

In addition, several of the lakes I fish are too murky to use the camera effectively. Pymy, Edinboro, and Wilhelm are a no go. Chautauqua, Eaton, Justus, and Kinzua are usually ok. Nighttime use is also useless...I know, I know...all the manuafacturers claim that their IR lights allow you to see clearly in low light conditions, and that's true, from about 4 inches away.

One use that I found it handy for was when I was taking my son when he was younger, it would keep him occupied and interested for awhile.

I'm not trying to bash U/W cameras...it's just that I don't find them very useful for my style of icefishing, and it's just additional weight to drag. If you don't already have a flasher, that would be a much wiser investment IMO.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 11:45:00 (permalink)
    thanks for the info is yours the black and white one or a color one?

wiperman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 11:56:04 (permalink)
    I use a camera in combination with a vexilar. Since I target mainly crappy and eyes through the ice, I use the vexilar to find the fish, then the camera to see the make/model of the fish. This is especially helpful when your flasher is full of fish only to find out they are large shad. I can live without the camera, but cannot without the vexilar. I have found the camera really useful in clear lakes rather than murky.

HTH
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 12:04:46 (permalink)
    i have considered getting a flasher as well but my only hesitation is that i would like to use the camera on calm days on cross creek lake when i have my son out on the boat.  I have only heard that the new cameras have great visibility.  but i have never used one so i cant say for certain.

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 12:11:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyeassassin

thanks for the info is yours the black and white one or a color one?

B/W. Color units aren't as useful in fresh water. Color is washed out to large degree in fresh water.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 12:13:24 (permalink)
    wow thanks i had no idea that the color would not be as useful.  i am glad i asked.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 16:08:00 (permalink)
    Look at the Marcum's. I believe their site has a demo video. If not look on "you tube" for Marcum under water camera.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 16:59:41 (permalink)
    yea those are cool videos i think i may ger one

Denny Crane x2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/22 18:17:08 (permalink)
    i had a cabela's camera last year and it was useless on murky lakes like pymatuning but it was pretty cool on presque isle bay.  you could see a lot of bites that you otherwise might never notice.  the camera i had didn't have a panning feature so it was very frustrating to operate the camera and fish at the same time.  i ended up taking it back and bought a showdown because i fish pymy more often than the bay.  if i fished the bay i would invest in a camera with a panning feature.  if my home waters were not crystal clear i wouldn't get a camera at all.
    hurricanewg
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: under water cameras 2010/12/24 08:39:11 (permalink)
    I have a FishTV black and white model that I have found useful and fun. I got it on sale two years ago for about $75 bucks. Its a blast to watch the fish check out your bait and taking it. Also great for checking for structure. I use my lawn mower battery to power it. Need dim light to view screen well. For the money it is worth it.
    ankaka
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: under water cameras 2012/03/01 00:28:55 (permalink)
    Canon PowerShot D10
    Canon is a renowned name in photography. Most professional photographers swear by the quality of its products. It not only produces some impressive pictures, but also comes up with products having cutting edge technology. Amongst one of their masterpieces is the PowerShot D10. It is a 12.1 MP camera with an LCD of 2.5". With this camera you can click pictures going as deep as 33 feet. And one of the best features I liked about this particular product is the excellent picture quality and ease of use. It's probably one of the best point and shoot underwater digital cameras.

Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" drawWhite Carbon Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw
    digital hd video camera
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: under water cameras 2012/03/01 08:21:35 (permalink)
    I'm sure that's not the type of underwater camera he wanted for fishing but that's a really nice digital for photos. I have the powershot 410 and the sx 130 and love them both.
    Jump to: