Bamboo Rods

Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6355
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/05 20:08:01 (permalink)

Bamboo Rods

Gentlemen, I recently saw an add on e-bay from someone in China who is selling brand new bamboo rods. I am amazed since his finished cost is less than my cost for materials to build a comparable rod. So, since I believe in the 'boo' I'd say maybe you might want to look at these rods if you want inexpensive boo. I haven't purchased any myself but I'd like to know an owners assessment of their value. I have repaired other rods from various overseas builders and some of them were "one size fits all" construction which doesn't say much.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

9 Replies Related Threads

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/05 20:13:42 (permalink)
    I personally wouldn't mess with those rods because I have seen the skill it takes to put a nice one together. I would just save the money and buy a new one from the states. There are alot of great home grown bamboo makers in the states.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/05 20:27:15 (permalink)
    Indy - Interesting you should bring this up. Last spring I was talking to a gentleman who had purchased one of these. Paid about $300 for it. After fishing with it though he realized that he got what he paid for. The fit on the ferrules were very loose - not tight at all , in fact he said it almost felt like they would fly apart when casting.  Plus he said that the type of cane that is used was unlike any other rod he had and he has quite a few. Said it was like casting a tree branch. Very stiff. He tried contacting the seller on ebay with no luck. He's pretty much stuck with it. Maybe it's just an isolated case though. They do look like a rod with nice fittings for the price. I think this may be what your talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Superb-7-6ft-3pcs-2tips-Deluxe-Bamboo-Fly-Rod-4-/150484405433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230991ccb9

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/05 23:24:11 (permalink)
    Yeah that's one of them. I can't figure how they can make and sell a rod for less than I pay just for parts.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/06 04:14:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Yeah that's one of them. I can't figure how they can make and sell a rod for less than I pay just for parts.

i ask my self the same question on a daily basis with my profession... i'm sure your quality is far superior and will always be in demand by the avid angler...
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/06 09:58:04 (permalink)
    i got a bamboo offer from headwaters bamboo comp. deluxe bamboo rods for 40 percent off if ordered by the dec. 9th. that's about $330.00 or so. the reviews i checked says the 'boo blank' is of good quality but the hardware and cork aren't the greatest.not sure if you can get the blank at a good price.
    not trying to take anything away from you jack, i'm sure your 'boo' are of better quality, hardware, wraps and all.
    anyone interested you can send me a pm.  
    post edited by doubletaper - 2010/12/06 09:59:25

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/06 11:07:33 (permalink)
    Those headwater rods are a crap shoot when it comes to bamboo build integrity. Those China rods go by many names, but most are built in the same shop. I've heard of some that were well fitted together and some that had glaring gaps and glue lines at the cane joints. I've seen and cast two and  one was of poor quality, especially with it's consecutive adjacent nodes which is a no-no.
    One was well done and cast very well, though not even close to the copy of well liked taper.
    Almost all builders offer at least a 3 day inspection period. So, if you do pull the trigger on one, make sure it has a no questions asked return policy.
    Otherwise, you might get stuck with a very expensive tomato stake.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/07 16:51:44 (permalink)
    If you guys are looking for a good alternative for Bamboo rods, Rod Maker magazine has posted an article about The Anglers Roost selling bamboo blanks and matching ferrules. I have heard nothing about good things from over there since they got into the blank industry, both graphite and bamboo.  I was planning on breaking my tradition and getting one of these for myself to make eventually, although I will probably never use it.

Check it out:::

http://theanglersroost.com/products/bamboo-blanks/presidential-bamboo-blanks/

They are supposed to be of very high quality and are VERY reasonably priced. 
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/09 19:29:34 (permalink)
    Indy, I am curious if when you talk of building a rod. Do you split your own culms of bamboo and then make the rod from those culms or are you salvaging old rods and restoring them? The reason I ask is a good friend of mine buys his culms, splits,dries, mills the tapers and does all the steps necessary to build a rod. I know that on some of his rods he has over 100 hrs of labor in them. That is not counting the time for drying, glueing impregnateing and so on. If you are making your rods from "scratch" I tip my hat to you.

fly fish....save a worms life
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bamboo Rods 2010/12/09 23:02:21 (permalink)
    Weenie, I stopped splitting my own stuff when it got too expensive to sell a rod made that way. I can do it but I prefer to buy my stuff and finish it myself. I'll buy a taper and then modify it by scraping if it doesn't fit what a buyer wants. I also restore the antique stuff and modify old/antique rods for people who want a custom rod. One thing I won't do is modify an expensive antique. They are too valuable. it would be like making a hotrod out of a Duesenberg Coupe.

Jump to: