new regulations question...

Author
bassboatbill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1194
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/20 11:21:49 (permalink)

new regulations question...

I hunt 2E and now its buck only until the first saturday wich is cool, i just need to know does this hold true for youth hunters as well...i was told as long as a youth hunter (under 16) holds a doe tag for the area they can shoot either on the first week...i find nothing in the book stating this...anybody know?

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

24 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 11:38:48 (permalink)
    I don't see anywhere it specifies that they can shoot a doe during the first week either...so I'd guess no.
    Just my guess, YMMV

BUT...there is this :
    (Holders of valid DMAP antlerless deer permits may harvest antlerless deer on DMAP properties during this period.)

Also, there's the Jr/Sr/disabled antlerless season that runs from tomorrow through Saturday state wide. (21st-23rd)

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 11:48:46 (permalink)
    Must wait till the first Saturday in those units with the split season. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 11:59:59 (permalink)
    Bad time of year to put seniors and juniors in the woods with rifles.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 13:18:57 (permalink)
    Bings... 

why's that.. ??

It's a fact there are far less hunting related accidents where the "shooter" was a junior or senior hunter.

I remember telling the PGC and BOC that having an October doe season open to all was a terrible idea..
    back when Ault suggested it... but had nothing against the juniors and seniors and I was not a senior at the time...

senior = experience in identifying the target and junior because of needing adult supervision,,,
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 14:10:24 (permalink)
    There are probably far less accidents involving jr/sr hunters because there are far less of them out there with respect to total hunters.

I agree with Bings though, leafy greens and rifles don't mix all that well in the overcrowded woods of PA.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 14:29:36 (permalink)
    Senior hunters, failing eyesight and senior moments.
    Junior hunters, rookies with little experience..

Shooting high powered rifles with the leaves on and the goldenrod still up seems kinda dangerous to me.
    Wasn't that one of the reasons they said no more rifles for fall turkeys ??  Safety ??

They also don't spend the time in the woods the 20-40 something crowd does..
    I bet if you looked at hours logged in the woods by both groups the percentage of accident to hunter hours comparison would be almost the same...

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/20 18:45:51 (permalink)
    because there are far less of them out there

And that is EXACTLY why I will feel totally safe for the next three days hunting deer,
    alert but SAFE ... more so than the 1st day of rifle deer season with the woods full of "if it's brown- it's down crowd" and especially (HEAVEN FORBIT) I'd ever think about going into the woods in spring turkey season..

I doubt I will see one single junior or senior over the next three days.. most juniors have school Thursdays and Fridays or have adults that are working anyhow....

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/21 00:08:58 (permalink)
    Don't forget the handicapped. They can wack does too and be of any age.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/21 10:00:43 (permalink)
    military personnel also can use a rifle...

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/21 10:25:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: frost

military personnel also can use a rifle...

Those brave men can walk into the Penna woods and smack a deer when ever they d@mn well please in my book...

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/21 10:29:39 (permalink)
    Didn't realize they took rifles out of fall season. Gonna have to check that out.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/21 11:11:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Senior hunters, failing eyesight and senior moments.
    Junior hunters, rookies with little experience..

Bing, these young people are with the mentors that teach them the do's and donts and it is a great learning experence for them and the older guys have all the experience under their belt to show this is a good time for all to enjoy the outdoors...check the reports and i thing you will see there isnt any problems during this season...kids and seniors should look forward to this, not be put down.

gary3414
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/22 08:10:04 (permalink)
    My main concern is there are too many things in season this week. You have archery, muzzle loader, junior-senior rifle and squirrel. Around here most parking spots are full every afternoon during this week. 
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/22 09:18:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gary3414

My main concern is there are too many things in season this week. You have archery, muzzle loader, junior-senior rifle and squirrel. Around here most parking spots are full every afternoon during this week. 

And pheasant, rabbit, grouse, etc.

I think that with the exception of bear and turkey, anything is fair game, one way or another, this Saturday.

I won't be out.  I volunteered to take some handicapped youths hunting over my dogs on a preserve.  I have not done this before, but is should be interesting and I know it will be rewarding.  From what I understand they will strap the wheelchairs into the back of a Ranger ATV and follow along until the dogs go on point.  Then they will try to position the ATV in such a manner as to offer a shot when the bird flushes.  I'll then flush the bird and hope it cooperates by flying in the right direction.  We will see how it works out.
    post edited by DarDys - 2010/10/22 11:59:04

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/22 09:52:52 (permalink)
    Tip of the hat DarDys...

I love hearing about guys doing that sort of thing !!

Let us know how that ATV thing works out !!!

Should be interesting..
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/22 09:56:06
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/22 10:59:56 (permalink)
    gary, very very valid point i did over look...didnt realize what all was in season at the same time...this should be looked into by the game commision...(good luck)

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/22 12:02:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Tip of the hat DarDys...

Should be interesting..

I will be sure to let you know how well it works.

I have provided the mutts for every youth hunt that I could find participats for.  I also like to get newbie to birddog hunters out whenever I can.

By the way, my wife and our older pointer are going to be on the November Cover of PA Outoor Times that comes out next Monday.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/22 13:54:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gary3414

Don't forget the 1 week goose season that starts tomorrow in the RP zone as well.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/23 22:03:34 (permalink)
    Bings wrote ===

Wasn't that one of the reasons they said no more rifles for fall turkeys ?? Safety ??

I just wanted to point out that is NOT state wide it is only in WMUs..1A,1B,2A,2B..page 35 of the digest.. all other WMU rifles are okay....
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/25 11:27:17 (permalink)
    2D still allowed rifle, thats great news now I can try the 100 yard shot with the 22-250!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/26 08:30:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Tip of the hat DarDys...

Should be interesting..

Doc,

It did turn out to be rather an interesting day.  There were about 20 boys from 12 - 15 at the event.  While half the group hunted pheasants and chukars in parties of 2 -- their parent/chaparone trailed along.  While the others were hunting, the remaining boys shot some off a trap, shot a bow, and participated in dog demonstrations.  When the first hunts were over, the groups switched.

The first group I had out had a local kid from about a mile away, but the other one came with his father about 350 miles from Brooklyn.  The dogs did well, pointing 14 birds, and the boys got some shooting.  For some reason, and it wasn't wind direction because it happened no matter which way we were hunting, the birds wanted to come off the ground and whip around behind us.  Before the event started, there was a safety PowerPoint that made sure that escaping game behind was not shot at (which it shouldn't be most of the time) and they adhered to that lesson.  However, the kid from Brooklyn did manage to harvest a chuckar and the local boy shot a phesant and three chukars.

After resting the Pointers for about an hour, it was over 70 degrees and the cover was way thick because of the lack of a killing frost so far, it was time to take the boys in wheelchairs.  I had the only pointing dogs and the plan was to let the dogs go on point and then back the Gators up as close as possible.  This would be no easy trick.  Imagine you are the size of a dog, doing whatever you do for work and someone running right up on you with a motorized vehicle.  But the Boys did alright and basically ignored the ATV's after the first attempt.

Because the birds were tending to break back, just as they did earlier, and due to the limited range of motion of the hunters, it was a tough deal.  One rooster did fly across the line of fire and was missed twice by one of the boys.  I am not sure many able hunters would have made the shot though.  Finally, we had a chukar get up and fly in line with one of the boys and he hit it.  It sailed about 100 yards and the mutts were able to mark it and make the retrieve -- no easy feat for Pointers.

Because one of the boys hadn't had a shot, we changed tactics and decided to run a Kansas pheasant drive through some Milo.  We popped out about 10 birds and the boy was able to shoot one.

In the end, all of the kids had shooting, with some bagging one bird, others having several, but everyone having at least one.  They got to shoot some clays, shoot a bow, see some dog work, hunt over some dogs, win some doorprizes, and have a little lunch.  All in all it was a good day for the kids and a better day for the adults.

My concern for the event was that when I volunteered for it more than a month ago, I had not checked my calendar and did not know that it was 1) on the opening day of phesant season and 2) it was the day before the PA State Open Pheasant Hunting Championship.  The first day thing is not big deal because I tend to not want to get involved in the combat hunting that can take place that day, but I do like to participate in the Pheasant Championship.  This year was particularly important because my older Pointer, Darty, is now 8.5 and is right on the edge of not being fast enough anymore to effectively compete.  He has entered 14 events and has 13 top 10's and 6 top 5's.  But because of my ineptitude, meaning I missed a shot or two (incures a penalty for each missed shot), he has never won.  Since this would be his last realistic chance, if I had known the date, I more than likley would not have done the youth hunt.  These dogs work so hard in the field that they need to recover for a day or more before going back at it -- especially when asked to hunt at the speeds needed for the Championship.  So I resolved myself into the thought that I did a good thing by going to the youth hunt and what was is what was.

On Sunday morning, the mutts burst out of the kennel like they had spent the week at the beach.  I told my wife that I was going to take them to the Championship just to let Darty have his last go at it.

I ran our younger dog, Dyson (on the left in the avatar) first in the Single Pointing Division (one dog, one hunter, 4 pheasants).  Dyson likes to remind me that he is a POINTER, not a RETRIEVER.  In the south, where these dogs are used on quail, Pointers point, hunters shoot, and retrievers, ususally labs, retrieve the birds.  Pointers do not have any bird retrieving responsibilities.  However, in this competition, dogs, irrespective of breed, must bring the bird to hand or there is a significant penalty.  Basically, I run Dyson to get the misses out of my system.

As expected, he was a bird finding machine, but not a retrieving machine.  He had a killer run and we had all four pheasants in the bag in slightly over 10 minutes.  Somehow I didn't miss a shot and mentioned to the judge in the field that had Dyson done all of the retrieves (he had one, just to show me he could do it if he wanted to) he would have done pretty well.  He told me that Dyson was leading and the only run left was Darty.  In short, he could only lose to his father.

As much as I wanted Darty to have a title, because I have left him down so many times before, it was tough to take the title away from Dyson (who turned 3 two weeks ago).  So I gambled and decided to not run Darty in the Single Division, but to enter him in the Team Division (two hunters, one dog, 6 pheasants).  There was only one problem, I didn't have a partner for the Team -- my wife had twisted her knee and couldn't hunt.  Heck, we didn't even have a shotgun for her there if she could have participated because we were only planning on running singles.

I was, after searching a bit, able to come up with an acquantance (flyfishingdave, you can guess who it was) that I shot sporting clays with on many occassions, who was willing to give it a go.  He has labs and has never hunted over pointing dogs.  But he is a great shot and an even better sport.

The Team field was tough -- high, heavy cover and no wind.  In fact it was so tough that the best any pointing dog had done was two of the six birds in the full 30 minute time allotment.  The best any dog, flushing or pointing, had done in the two days of competition was 5 birds of the 6 -- and that was my now partner's lab (although the dogs were not competing against each other -- flushing dogs compete against flushing dogs, pointing against pointing).

The run was tough, Darty had to point and relocate one bird 6 times before we pinned it to a spot where it could be flushed.  I missed a shot -- over swung a quick riser that wasn't as quick as I thought it was -- luckily my partner made the follow up shot -- unluckily, so did I -- three shots for one bird is not good for a high score.  But in the end we pointed, bagged, and retrieved all six pheasants in a little over 24 minutes and the win was by more than double the second place finisher's score.

Perhaps it was a little karma coming back from the youth hunt -- Dyson is the 2010 PA State Open Pheasant Hunting Champion in the Single Division and Darty is the 2010 PA State Open Pheasant Hunting Champion in the Team Division -- and now retired from competition.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/26 09:30:39 (permalink)
    Awesome....There is nothing like winning with dogs you have put your own sweat into training. I say Karma my butt, your dogs just kicked ****!!!!!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/26 10:24:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update and congrats for a job WELL DONE !!!!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: new regulations question... 2010/10/26 11:29:21 (permalink)
    DarDys-- Great going, congrats
    Jump to: