Treestand stolen again!

Author
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/12 21:59:21 (permalink)

Treestand stolen again!

Took my 9 year old daughter out on friday evening with the crossbow to my only two person stand with a full enclosed blind on it and IT WAS GONE! Really bites the big one to lose a wonderful evening of hunting with my little one. I am upset about the stand but that can be replaced. Thats just one less experience we had together. This is the third stand they took from us and it's on posted private property. All they did was ruin it for quite a few other hunters now everyone that has stands on about 500 acres is being thrown off. It has been posted but not enforced now it will be posted with new signs and enforced often. I would love nothing more than to catch the person that stole this stand as well as 2 others and a blind. I can honestly say they will get a beat down in the woods. Hope no one else has this experience this year. good luck to all.
post edited by Big Fathead - 2010/10/12 22:43:10

10 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/12 22:09:05 (permalink)
    Stand molesters should be strung upside down nude and have thier nutz covered in peanut butter outside a coyote den.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/12 22:26:09 (permalink)
    Don't know where theres a coyote den but thats a good idea.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/12 23:24:42 (permalink)
    Maybe your next investment should be a nice, quiet, infrared flash game camera. Set it up in some subtle place, than put one of those 50 dollar ladder stands up in a real obvious, easy to find location in front of the camera. For instance, I might put the stand 5 yards off the main trail or dirt road, then tuck the camera discreetly back in further and see if I could get some pictures of the thieves.

Keep an eye out for unfamiliar vehicles parked in the area. And by keep an eye out, I mean write down license plate numbers.

I had one stolen and it pi$$eed me off, I can only imagine how I'd feel if I lost three!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/13 08:26:57 (permalink)
    Are they cutting the 3/8 inch cable that secures the stand to steal it?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/13 10:11:40 (permalink)
    I didn't lock it because it was a two person very heavy stand that took 3 of us to set up. They cut 4" trees and climbed a hill that I had to winch my quad up cause its too steep. There are no roads or trails close. They had to take it about 125 yards through woods, up a steep hill thats about 25 yards and another 200 yards or so to a private flat that was a logging road 15 years ago. I have only seen maybe 4 people back there in 10 or more years of archery, squirrell, rabbit, grouse, rifle and muzzle loader hunting. My guess one of the four I seen.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/13 12:09:37 (permalink)
    Not relevant to the thefts, but is it your property? If not why is it now being posted, did the owners have stands stolen?

I have taken stands down and left them by the trees they were in, along with a note, on my property that is posted. I got tired of being asked by people if I had permission to be on my own property, and had some issues with tree cutting as well as a few other problems. Hope you catch those idiots...
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/13 17:52:22 (permalink)
    Actually it has been posted as long as I've owned the adjoining property. I do not own where the stand was, it's about 30 yards from my property line. The signs were old and the fellow that keeps an eye on the property has laid off chasing people out the last few years and I haven't bothered anyone I seen. Now this happened I spoke with him and two other property owners that own the parcels that make up the 500 acres and have there permission to get the hunters information and they are now going to patrol the property. Between the parcels I am speaking of only about 6 or 7 guys who are allowed on 150 of the 500 acres and only myself and one other neighbor is allowed on the other 350 acres. I'm only allowed to take my children on the property no nephews, nieces, cousins, etc. It took me many years to gain his trust to hunt the 350 acres, he had it all to himself for years. He doesn't allow people to hunt because he is totally against doe hunting and he had a guy pull a gun on him 13 or 14 years ago because he said to leave the property. That guy with the gun was arrested over that incident. I am easy to get along with until something like this happens. I will throw hunters out but never the fisherman. We own a couple thousand feet of the North Branch of Slippery Rock Creek and have had very few problems during fishing season, more littering not thefts and hunting in safety zones. I will install a new stand where those were stolen from BUT it will be home made from wood! God love them if they carry it out! 
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/14 00:04:15 (permalink)
    Sounds like revenge from one you threw out. I seen this before in Independence Twp. I guy was patrolling the owners property so he could have a better place to hunt. The guys he threw off came back and stole his stands and waited for him to enter the woods and then stole gear out of his truck. I agree with the cam idea.
    ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

Actually it has been posted as long as I've owned the adjoining property. I do not own where the stand was, it's about 30 yards from my property line. The signs were old and the fellow that keeps an eye on the property has laid off chasing people out the last few years and I haven't bothered anyone I seen. Now this happened I spoke with him and two other property owners that own the parcels that make up the 500 acres and have there permission to get the hunters information and they are now going to patrol the property. Between the parcels I am speaking of only about 6 or 7 guys who are allowed on 150 of the 500 acres and only myself and one other neighbor is allowed on the other 350 acres. I'm only allowed to take my children on the property no nephews, nieces, cousins, etc. It took me many years to gain his trust to hunt the 350 acres, he had it all to himself for years. He doesn't allow people to hunt because he is totally against doe hunting and he had a guy pull a gun on him 13 or 14 years ago because he said to leave the property. That guy with the gun was arrested over that incident. I am easy to get along with until something like this happens. I will throw hunters out but never the fisherman. We own a couple thousand feet of the North Branch of Slippery Rock Creek and have had very few problems during fishing season, more littering not thefts and hunting in safety zones. I will install a new stand where those were stolen from BUT it will be home made from wood! God love them if they carry it out! 

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/14 13:42:49 (permalink)
    The sucky part is I'm not the one who threw people out! I left people alone and just hunted.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Treestand stolen again! 2010/10/15 15:33:36 (permalink)
    The amount of work you say it took to remove the stand suggests more than one thief. Plus, they did take a two man stand.
    Jump to: