Fines

Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/16 14:12:02 (permalink)

Fines

Gotta question about fines. My bud and his newb brother went out for early goose. On the way out, with a dead goose, they got stopped and checked by the game comm. My buds brother was carrying lead...and he fined both of them.

The officer said he would receive his fine in the mail. Any idea how much he'll get whacked?

Thanks

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...

25 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Fines 2010/09/16 14:27:40 (permalink)
    Probably around $150. Were both guys carrying lead?
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/16 16:24:15 (permalink)
    Nope just the one....but he fined em both for possession.

I choose Little Cleos

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Fines 2010/09/16 20:09:50 (permalink)
    Did he check to see if the gosse was shot with lead ???
    If he did the fine could be more if it had lead pellets it ??????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/16 20:10:51
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 00:55:37 (permalink)
    I would have to appeal that one. A person getting fined because his buddy was carrying lead shot, come on. I assume a deputy gathered up the info and turned it over to the WCO. You mentioned that the citation was coming in the mail. That's what they do. A deputy can't write a citation. Appeal it , both the deputy and the WCO must show. Explain to the magistrate. Not happy take it to county court. Who has the goose?
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 08:39:00 (permalink)
    Unfortunately everyone is responsible for everyone in the hunting party... most will only fine the guy with the lead shot, some will fine everyone.  Just like if they catch you at your vehicle and you're switching from goose to doves for the day and you have a case of lead and a case of steel in the vehicle... they'll say you were using lead for the geese.  The possession alone is enough to fine you... which sucks because how many guys go out hunting geese in the morning then switch to doves at noon without going home first?

I'd try to appeal it in hopes that someone doesn't show up

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 09:54:17 (permalink)
    You can't control what other people do. You are responsible for only yourself not every hunter you are in contact with. I would defiantly appeal it.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 10:10:15 (permalink)
    Last I looked our prisons have many people in them that were just quilty of being with someone when they broke a law...

You can't control what other people do

True you have to control yourself and not allow yourself to get caught in a situation where you "buddy" is breaking the law...

I'm sure they both knew there was lead shot there and I believe any sportman's worth anything knows that type shot is and has been illegal for awhile now....... to go ahead and use it is knowingly breaking the law... it's that simple... no lead shot means just that = no lead shot...

Don't have anyhthing against those involved , but it just makes me mad when people try to defend someone that breaks the laws..

it's always funny to me that when someone breaks a game law it turns to it's the WCO's fault... or it's a bad law... and they did nothing wrong...
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 10:26:31 (permalink)
    a deputy years ago in hartstown swamp tried to arrest one of us for having a 16 gauge lead shell in the ammo box and no one in the party had a 16 gauge..after very heated discussion he dropped the issue...how dump was that???????......
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 12:07:26 (permalink)
    Show me the law that states all in the party get fined if only one is in possession then I will agree. Is there past presedence set for this already? I'd be appealing if I had my non-toxic shot and the other guy didn't.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 20:42:58 (permalink)
    My buddy is not "defending" anything. I'll have the full story tomm.

I do however have a new question though.

I'm going goose/dove hunting in the morning. I can't have lead AND steel in my CAR?
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2010/09/17 20:44:12

I choose Little Cleos

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 23:22:54 (permalink)
    I've "heard" of a couple WCO's & deputy dogs taking liberties with vehicle searches. Like, "This one time, my buddy's cousin got pinched for having lead in his vehicle for a dove hunt after a goose hunt." But nothing firsthand. Sure doesn't seem like it would stand up in court.

Here's how the regs read:

NONTOXIC SHOT must be used while hunting ducks, geese and/or coots in Pennsylvania; the possession of lead shot while hunting ducks, geese and/or coots is unlawful

"possession of lead shot WHILE HUNTING" seems pretty clear though. Unless you're road hunting for waterfowl, it seems like you should be good. I have lead shot in my vehicle almost all the time while waterfowl hunting, because I'll often do some small game or dove hunting afterward. Never been checked though. I keep them in separate, clearly marked containers.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/17 23:49:29 (permalink)
    Agreed....Never heard of a "car" rule..hunting rule yes....I could legally have my deer rifle in there if I wanted.....no?

For the record.....I only shoot steel....for everything....costs me a few more bucks a year, but I'm never busted.

I choose Little Cleos

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Fines 2010/09/18 07:50:05 (permalink)
    The man not carrying lead did not break the law..
    Where's RSB, ask him if he'd write that ticket.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Fines 2010/09/18 09:44:52 (permalink)
    Yep ... 150.
    Got popped for turkey hunting with an unmarked shell.
    Same as the ones marked 4shot. So be careful with that too.
    Even offered to cut both shells open to prove they were the same. No go.

270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/18 15:44:35 (permalink)
    mika, you mean they did not put a magnet to the shell, hard to believe that they didn't..would never hold up in court...should have taken it straight to magistrate to appeal..where does it say it has to have markings on shells,?????? ...please get that on here doc...
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/18 15:48:01 (permalink)
    thought you were talking about steel, still would have fought that one..
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Fines 2010/09/18 16:03:12 (permalink)
    These are direct quote from the PA Code....

§ 141.23. Nontoxic shot.
    It is unlawful to hunt for or take migratory waterfowl in this Commonwealth while possessing or using lead shot or shotshells loaded with shot of a composition or alloy and of a cartridge length not approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot). It is unlawful to hunt for or take migratory waterfowl in this Commonwealth using nontoxic shot larger than Size ‘‘T.’’

Source

The provisions of this § 141.23 adopted June 19, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 2464; amended April 28, 1989, effective April 29, 1989, 19 Pa.B. 1842; amended November 4, 1994, effective November 5, 1994, 24 Pa.B. 5561; amended September 6, 1996, effective September 7, 1996, 26 Pa.B. 4339. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (202785) to (202786).

§ 141.22. Small game.
    (a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that projects multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot).

(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(4) A bow and arrow.

(5) A crossbow and bolt.

(6) A raptor. The raptor must be lawfully possessed under a falconry permit pursuant to section 2925 of the act (relating to falconry permits).

(b) Prohibitions. It is unlawful to:

(1) Use or possess single-projectile ammunition larger than .23 caliber or multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot), except as authorized under section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

NOWHERE in these sections do I see a requirement for marking, it is the WCO's Responsibility to PROVE that you are carrying illegal ammunition and without a magnet or cut open shell he has not done that. Simply lazy field work by the WCO.

Additionally the way the regulation reads, it says "It is unlawful to hunt for or take migratory waterfowl in this Commonwealth while possessing or using lead shot"

Now according to section 1 of the follwing from Title 34, having lead shot in the vehicle would not be considered hunting, but if you had taken geese and were on your way to hunt doves, posession of lead shot in the vehicle while you had waterfowl, might be punishible, the way I read it.

Chapter 23. Hunting and Furtaking

Subchapter A. General Provisions

Sec. 2301. Amended June 28, 2004, Act No. 2003-48.

Sec. 2301. Prima facie evidence of hunting.

(a) General rule. - For the purpose of this title, any one of the following acts shall constitute prima facie evidence of hunting:

(1) Possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, raptor, trap or other device of any description usable for the purpose of hunting or taking game or wildlife.

(2) Possession of the carcass or any part or parts of any game or wildlife.

(3) Pursuing game or wildlife in any manner prohibited by this title or commission regulation.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Fines 2010/09/18 20:05:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Gotta question about fines. My bud and his newb brother went out for early goose. On the way out, with a dead goose, they got stopped and checked by the game comm. My buds brother was carrying lead...and he fined both of them.

The officer said he would receive his fine in the mail. Any idea how much he'll get whacked?

Thanks

Using or possession of lead shot while hunting waterfowl is a summary of the fifth degree. That fine range is 100-200 dollars and set by the District Judge.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Fines 2010/09/19 21:06:02 (permalink)
    RSB, can you clear up the confusion about whether or not you would be considered to be in possession of lead shot "WHILE HUNTING" if it is in your vehicle while you are waterfowl hunting?
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Fines 2010/09/19 21:42:06 (permalink)
    I would fight the double fine for the lead.  And in your buds case in the angle of "while hunting".  I would argue the case that the hunt was over if your walking out of the field (assuming that the firearms were unloaded).  
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/19 23:22:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

RSB, can you clear up the confusion about whether or not you would be considered to be in possession of lead shot "WHILE HUNTING" if it is in your vehicle while you are waterfowl hunting?

The officer would normally have to prove that the ammunition had been outside the vehicle and carried or possessed in the field to obtain a conviction. Ammunition in the vehicle typically would not constitute a violation unless it had been in the field while hunting.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Fines 2010/09/20 00:07:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: rsquared

The officer would normally have to prove that the ammunition had been outside the vehicle and carried or possessed in the field to obtain a conviction. Ammunition in the vehicle typically would not constitute a violation unless it had been in the field while hunting.

R.S. Bodenhorn

fair enough... we were told you can't have it in the vehicle one year while hunting in punxy when we got a written warning for shooting too close to houses (who gave us permission to hunt from their back porch if we wanted to because they hate the geese so much).  evidently the guy 250 yards downstream from where we were shooting liked the geese and fed them... oops

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Fines 2010/09/20 11:07:30 (permalink)
    The first thing I would like to say is THANK YOU to Mr. Bodenhorn for coming on our board and offering his knowledge. I think all too often many hunters (including myself) are at fault for our lack of knowledge of the game laws.

I must say it can not be easy to follow this board and some of the PGC bashing that occurs (that includes myself as well).

But, I do truly appreciate an honest interpretation of the law. We do not always get those in some of the areas I hunt.

I would like to get a clarificaton on the marking of shells. Must shells be marked, or in other words when Mikastorm was fined without the shell being cut open; is that a legit fine? It seems to me that it would not hold up if challenged. But, that is only my interpretation of what I have read in the code.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/20 12:11:45 (permalink)
    I got the whole story from my buddy....The brother is cold busted...moron shot the goose with lead.

Buddy is guilty of not being a good teacher to his newb brother...but fighting the ticket.

I choose Little Cleos

RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fines 2010/09/20 19:57:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

The first thing I would like to say is THANK YOU to Mr. Bodenhorn for coming on our board and offering his knowledge. I think all too often many hunters (including myself) are at fault for our lack of knowledge of the game laws.

I must say it can not be easy to follow this board and some of the PGC bashing that occurs (that includes myself as well).

But, I do truly appreciate an honest interpretation of the law. We do not always get those in some of the areas I hunt.

I would like to get a clarificaton on the marking of shells. Must shells be marked, or in other words when Mikastorm was fined without the shell being cut open; is that a legit fine? It seems to me that it would not hold up if challenged. But, that is only my interpretation of what I have read in the code.

First of all thank you for the encouragement and you are certainly welcome. I will try to provide answers when I have the time but I sometimes just can’t keep up with the volume of posts.

There is nothing I am aware of that requires the shells being stamped with the shot information but to be honest with you I have almost no waterfowl hunting in my district so I am not as up on some of the federal laws involving waterfowl as the WCOs that work waterfowl areas all the time. When I get the time I will research it a little and see what I can find.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Jump to: