Learning the Lehigh

Author
JOE PA
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/05 09:46:42 (permalink)

Learning the Lehigh

Fist off, I have been "out of fishing" for several years.  The boys just weren't interested unless we went to a "fish every minute" farm pond.  Heard lots of great things about the Lehigh, and the work done by the Lehigh River Stocking Assn.  I guess I should hire a guide (probably should ask for help at Lowe's too), but the exploration and learning are the most fun for me.  We have made a few trips to the Gorge, various sections, and caught enough smallies to make the trip fun.  Not easy wading on this old body, but worth the work.  Most of the bass are small so far, but top out at 15" and we have caught a few Rainbows with a top size of 17", so it has been fun.  This is mostly fishing spinners (Roostertail and Panther Martins), and I know from back in the day I never caught the biggest fish in the Susquehanna with spinners either, just active, eager fish.  The beautiful scenery adds nicely to the trip.  Weekends are times to avoid with water releases for the rafting/kayaking users.  High water and high human population on the weekends.

2 Replies Related Threads

SpringChrome
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Learning the Lehigh 2010/09/19 20:51:10 (permalink)
    The Leigh is now the only water I fish for trout. Go out and find places no one would ever think of fishing from Jim Thorpe to Easton and it will be a norm when you go out to catch trout in the 16+ inch range.

Good luck.
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Learning the Lehigh 2010/09/25 06:06:52 (permalink)
    Thanks, SpringChrome.  Good luck to you as well.

Water is extremely low now.  I guess FW is all drained for fall, and the Pohopoco is falling too.  Have not been as successful in the water below the gorge yet.  Have to keep working on it.:-)
    Jump to: