Ohioans

Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/03 09:45:26 (permalink)

Ohioans

Come on now Ohioians, tell us your secrets on how to grow big bucks. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

20 Replies Related Threads

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/03 20:55:40 (permalink)
    shoot more does, balance the herd,
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/03 22:34:44 (permalink)
    But the doe have the bucks!!!! LOL

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/03 23:05:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

But the doe have the bucks!!!! LOL

LOL!
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/03 23:18:59 (permalink)
    While I was being a smartass, The area of OH I hunt hammers the doe and it just seems there are more and bigger bucks each year, Im not a biologist, but from what Ive seen first hand, I dont know if it is even possible to shoot too many doe, The last 5 years of hunting this area Ive missed 1 and seen 2 other bucks that definitely would have went B&C typical . Oh Yea and the last 2 I saw were on a public hunting area
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/04 09:55:10 (permalink)
    I have some friends that lease land in Illinois. They are asked by the land owner to shoot at least 2 does for every buck they kill. Unfortunatley, in PA many clubs are doing the opposite. There are at least 3 within the area that I hunt, that are currently refusing to shoot anything but bucks. These are the people with that ignorant "but the does have the bucks" mindset... As if the ratio of bucks to doe was not already out of wack.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/04 18:49:32 (permalink)

Here is a quote from Charles Alsheimer in his book- From Buttons to B+C----- As discussed in Chapter 5, it is no concidence that some of the biggest bucks come from regions with fertle soil. For example, the Midwest "Grain Belt" contains some of the most productive soil in North America. With this in mind it is easy to understand why the region has produced over 65% of Whitetailed bucks entered in the B+C record book.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/04 22:04:04 (permalink)
    ahhh.. two years ago it was P & Y.  Now it's B & C.  funny haha.

Send ol' Chuck an email and ask him to show you a pic. of a 2.5-3.5 year old B & C.  Never gonna happen.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/05 07:11:01 (permalink)

Since I think you started the thread to stir the pot I thought I'd help. We both know you need both age and nutrition to produce big bucks. That being said, there have been a few shot in the wild over the years that were aged at 3-1/2 years which made B+C. It is also not uncommon for the pay to play farms that supplemental feed them to have some 3-1/2 B+C bucks available. Check out the Pay hunts on the net to see the photos. Ex- Hidden Valley Ranch shows  one. True B+C bucks at any age are rare in the wild but they do occur, even at 3-1/2.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/05 08:03:55 (permalink)
    Thread was started out of complete boredom, not to stir some pot.  You make me sound evil.   Little hard to believe a three year old buck can score 170."  P & Y, I could understand.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/05 08:57:28 (permalink)
    If money is no object check out Midwestern Whitetails and see what you can get from  a three year old with the proper genetics and feed.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/05 09:08:28 (permalink)
    Artificial insemination can't count S-10!!!  I'm talking about REAL deer.

...the things people do to make a dollar. 
    Cr Critter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/06 22:33:39 (permalink)
     Here is a nice N.E. Ohio deer a buddy got a few years ago. I had my pic. taken with his deer just to bust a few chops @ work for a while until the word leaked out.  Rick is also a charter capt.  for D&B Charters out of Geneva marina.

Sad thing is , vehicular traffic claims more of the big ones then the sportsman do. Part of my job is to pick em off the roads.  I got a buddy that is gonna be in the hospital /rehab. for a long time who wacked one on his bike  last week.
    Thank God hes gonna make it. I've known other bikers where deer have taken their lives as well as their wives.

http://www.ohiogameandfish.com/hunting/bowhunting-hunting/oh_aa073903a/
    post edited by Cr Critter - 2007/07/07 08:45:25
    treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/10 14:02:58 (permalink)
    He got that buck in Harpersfield,right?

But its right about the does.Take them out.More food,better bigger bucks.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/11 13:25:13 (permalink)

You might want to read that article again. They are crediting the "reduction" of the doe harvest in Ohio  with the increase in more good bucks. That's just the opposite of what we are doing in Penna.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/11 15:51:37 (permalink)
    It really may NOT be doing what you think is happening.  I, for one, certainly don't have any evidence there are MORE bucks now than before.  That said, I don't for LESS either.  I can say for sure MORE BIGGER.

What happens when there are too many doe?

Many don't get bred.  It's a fact, a 2.5 year old buck can not breed more than 3 doe a year in most cases.  If the buck rails more than 3 in a season, there is a chance of them dying from exhaustion.  Right there is a loss of a buck.   

Doe will get bred late.  In turn, fawns are born late.  Therefore, they MAY not make it thru the winter.  There is another loss of buck.  Perhaps TWO, since doe have triplets and the chance of that third deer being a buck is a small % GREATER than another doe.  You ever see a 35 lb. fawn in archery season in PA?  I have.

Because bucks will generally shed their antlers during the same seven day timeframe throughout their entire life (with no malnutrition)  .. means they start to grow them at the same time every year .. means a LATE born buck (because it was not bred during its first estrus cycle because of too many doe) will always, throughout his life, have a shorter antler growing season .. in turn creating a smaller rack.  Does Pennsylvania ring a bell here?   A buck with antler growth beginning in April will have a much larger rack than one born in June or July. 

There's a loss of a NICE buck because of too many doe. 

A single buck and doe with the doe having two fawns every year, can create 70 deer in seven years.  This would be assuming no crossing breeding.  That shows how quickly a herd can explode.  We all know bucks will be shot so.....

HAMMER 'DEM DOES!!!!  LOL

....and they let little bucks walk.  Imagine that.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/11 15:53:23
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/11 17:46:57 (permalink)

I was merely pointing out to Treefrog that the folks in the article were giving credit to the "reduction" in doe harvest in Ohio for their increase in more  bucks and good bucks. They were not in favor of killing a lot of doe as was misread in this thread.  As far as doe getting bred late, the doe fawns don't come into heat until December/January or so and since our emphasis as per Gary Alt is to kill the big doe and leave the fawns, this assures that there will be a larger percentage of late bred does. This has to result in a larger percentage of late fawns than before Antler Restriction. Just what we all agree we don't want to happen.

treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Ohioans 2007/07/11 22:28:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

I was merely pointing out to Treefrog that the folks in the article were giving credit to the "reduction" in doe harvest in Ohio for their increase in more  bucks and good bucks. They were not in favor of killing a lot of doe as was misread in this thread.  As far as doe getting bred late, the doe fawns don't come into heat until December/January or so and since our emphasis as per Gary Alt is to kill the big doe and leave the fawns, this assures that there will be a larger percentage of late bred does. This has to result in a larger percentage of late fawns than before Antler Restriction. Just what we all agree we don't want to happen.

I didnt even read that article.But I will have to because thats a lie if in there.Ohio keeps raiseing the limit.Again this year additional 3 does in archery we never had before.Along with the two you can all ready harvest and what is it now 5 anterless urban tags.Yea,thats a real "reduction" in doe harvest.
      The point I was trying to say but didnt go indepth is.Less doe's = more browse and mast for buck mass.But why I keep the doe's in check on the properties I hunt is for the rut.Less does the more the bucks have to search and the more ground they cover is more buck moving past me.Think of it this way.If you had 100 playboy bunnies laying around in your bed room would you be out looking for another girl you would have to chase and court.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Ohioans 2007/08/05 21:38:27 (permalink)
    the real reason for our bucks getting so big........barry bond's big buck medicine.  "homers and racks are us".
    troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: Ohioans 2007/10/10 22:55:23 (permalink)
    my buddy killed a 3.5 year old 12 point that was 23 inches wide and g2s were 15 inches and it scored 172, right here in somerset county 5 years ago so how do u figure?
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Ohioans 2007/10/11 07:32:05 (permalink)
    I hunt Ohio a lot (public property primarily).  The differences that I see and the reasons I typically see bigger deer compared to PA are as follows.  A lot of Ohio was strip mined at one time.  The companies that did the strip mining replanted the lands once they were finished with them.  Many of the plants I find abundances of in Ohio on these properties, I do not find very often in PA and the deer absolutely gorge themselves.  This includes grasses up to nut and fruit bearing trees.  Many of the areas have not grown back to mature forests yet and enormous tracts of impeneterable underbrush are virually unhuntable by people.  These two factors allow the deer a unique combination of nutrition and ability to grow old.  When you combine this with a lack of hunter numbers, you have a combination for making giant whitetails.  I have only killed one buck in Ohio (135") but that is because we let anything smaller walk.  Every year I see one or two that will push the B&C books, but they seem to have a sixth sense to them when it comes to avoiding people.  That said, my niece shot the buck I intended to hunt last year (I set her on the stand) and it grossed 186".  Her boyfriend shot a 184" bruiser 5 years ago off of the same property.  I currently know where there is one that may break the 200" mark, but I have not figured out how to hunt him and certainly I have no idea how I would ever get him out if I did shoot him, due to the cover and rugged terrain. He may have to be one that waits until early November or even the gun season for me to chase him. I do believe that NCPA could grow deer of that caliber, but some major work needs to be done to restore the land and that would require cutting down some major mature forests to make way for new growth. 
    post edited by griffon - 2007/10/11 07:33:32
    Jump to: