Walnut Creek water gage

Author
LuvtheFish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2023/10/15 17:31:49 (permalink)

Walnut Creek water gage

Can anyone clue me in to what is a good number for fishing Walnut Creek when I look at the water gage?  I'm never sure how long to wait after it rains to know if the conditions/flow are good or not.  Thanks for any insight. 

4 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    Re: Walnut Creek water gage 2023/10/16 12:20:12 (permalink)
    I doubt that you are going to get a completely honest answer on exact numbers and you probably wouldn’t want the result of an honest answer. 500 others will be using that info as well and combine with those already in the know.

Keep a daily record of the gauge numbers. Watch the live stream videos to see what conditions look like and refer back to the gauge and take notes. You should be able to figure out what is gin clear and what is blown out, even if you don’t see a live stream of perfect conditions, you could then make a rather educated guess of what it would be. If it works and you hit the streams at the right flow, then add it to your notes. If a little high or little low, add to your more educated guess.

If using the gauge in feet, you definitely need to write that number down. .2 ft difference is a lot. If you use the cubic feet of flow, there is more of a number range to dial things in. It also shows the median historical flow. Most likely, if below that median, it is going to be low. Unless that median day is an outlier.
    LuvtheFish
    New Angler
    Re: Walnut Creek water gage 2023/10/16 21:00:45 (permalink)
    Appreciate the reply, thank you.
    steel57
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Walnut Creek water gage 2023/10/30 23:29:55 (permalink)
    LuvtheFish I am not sure why a question about understanding the water gage readings must be so secretive.  That seems like the exact type of question and information that should be shared on a discussion board.
    So here is my experience:
    --  If the flow reaches 150 cfm and is increasing Walnut is very difficult to fish.  I usually do not fish when the gage is that high.
    --   At about 125 cfm and decreasing the fishing can be very good.
    --  For me the sweet spot is 60-100 cfm.  You get a good drift and the water is not muddy or clear.  Usually just right.
    --  Below 50cfm, the water is is clearing and by 30 cfm the water is clear and the flow is not great for drifting your presentation.
    In all the cases if the fish are there you can catch them.  You just need to adjust how you fish.
    LuvtheFish
    New Angler
    Re: Walnut Creek water gage 2023/11/05 20:04:11 (permalink)
    Sorry for the delay in reply but thank you steel57 for the detailed info…appreciate it.
    Jump to: