Helpful Replyair and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 15:00:55 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Absolutely it is the person behind the gun, but that's too late of an excuse once the bullets fly. 

Again I ask for the third time; Most hunters vehemently support someones right to own a semiautomatic firearm irregardless of what bad folks do with them, but then some turn around and oppose someones choice to hunt with a semiautomatic firearm because of what bad folks do with them. Why the changing position if you are in that category?

So why would I want another choice of guns if my gun cabinet is all ready full ?

Your choice to make.

So shotguns are no safer then rifles ? mmmmm

According to the PSU study on their use for deer, correct. Several articles have come out after the PSU study questioning whether shotgun only areas still have merit.

Seems Ohio thinks different, almost all of N.Y. thinks different wonder how many more states disagree with that ?

Not sure if they think differently? Their shotgun only areas existed prior to the PSU study. Pa has the PSU study but still only allow shotguns in the SRAs. I was just relaying the findings of the study. As with all studies, you have to weigh them along with other information.

post edited by dpms - 2016/12/01 15:26:44

My rifle is a black rifle
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 15:27:11 (permalink)
dpms ?

Not sure if they think differently? Pa has the PSU study but still only allow shotguns in the SRAs. I was just relaying the findings of the study.

I'd say they absolutely think different or they would be legal there. I don't think semi auto shotguns for deer are legal there also ....not sure. 
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 16:13:09 (permalink)
Allegheny co.and Philadelphia area semi shotguns are legal,but parts of 2B where rifles are permitted,semi auto shotguns are not legal. Semi shotguns are legal in Ohio. I've shot does in Allegheny co with my 11-87 Hastings barrel tack driver. If I need to gun hunt in Ohio I use pump gun 20 gauge little light gun. I'm just not sure I'd want to be deer hunting with guys with AR's ripping several rounds through the woods. I've hunted WV with semi being legal but there's definitely a shell restriction. I'd hardy think Pa. would allow use of a 30 round clip. But who knows,I think this is a poor excuse to promote licence sales. I'm all for gun ownership and the second amendment,but AR's deer hunting scare me.
post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/12/01 16:14:23
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 16:13:34 (permalink)
I can't wait until the disabled are allowed to use drones to hunt.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 16:39:55 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
For those having concerns with the use of auto-loading weapons for the purpose of hunting (remember once they have a foot in the door) who have, or wish to voice your objections, do not waste your time with a politician or the PGC.

Your best choice is to make your feelings known to a powerful lobbyist.

https://www.pfb.com

Not sure but it would not surprise me if they supported semi auto for hunting. They generally support anything that may kill a deer or bear as long as it is not on Sundays, lol. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 16:48:49 (permalink)
Big Tuna
 I'd hardy think Pa. would allow use of a 30 round clip.

There is no talk of allowing them for big game. If they did, expect a 5 round magazine limit. 

But who knows,I think this is a poor excuse to promote licence sales.

I don't know anyone that supports this law supporting it to increase license sales.

I'm all for gun ownership and the second amendment,but AR's deer hunting scare me.

Does this scare you. It has the same capabilities as an "AR" with the 5 round magazine limit. Even in states were semis are legal, most hunters opt for other action types by a wide margin.

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 17:26:26 (permalink)
Any lead whizzing by my head scares me. Did you every have a bullet whizz by,I have not much fun.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 17:39:41 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Any lead whizzing by my head scares me. Did you every have a bullet whizz by,I have not much fun.

Not that I know of but my hearing ain't too good. :-))

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 20:11:22 (permalink)
dpms
BeenThereDoneThat.
For those having concerns with the use of auto-loading weapons for the purpose of hunting (remember once they have a foot in the door) who have, or wish to voice your objections, do not waste your time with a politician or the PGC.

Your best choice is to make your feelings known to a powerful lobbyist.

https://www.pfb.com

Not sure but it would not surprise me if they supported semi auto for hunting. They generally support anything that may kill a deer or bear as long as it is not on Sundays, lol. 

Actually they support what the land owner wants.

I see you mention the no Sunday hunting thingy.

Than you know how powerful the organization is.

Long story short; "be careful what you wish for".

Hunting Sunday using auto-loading rifles on private land; I'll be eager to see how that works out.

As for agreeing to people owning auto-loading weapons I certainly have no problem. Own a few myself and I enjoy shooting on a regular basis.

For those who have and do enjoy the sport of shooting such weapons, I would highly recommend shooting with a silencer attached.

Now that would be the way to hunt game. Nobody would recognize the shooting and therefore nobody would be concerned with no less than five rounds fired in rapid succession.

As for agreeing to ownership of ARs but not agreeing for the purpose of hunting but it's OK for crazies to have the guns. C'mon man! You gotta do better than that, that is absolutely absurd.

Your question "is it the person or is it the gun" is nothing more than oxymora of which you pose, in support of your opinion.

No matter the opinion, you spin the answer in an attempt to put your opposition, into defense.

I still see no reason for the use of semi-auto loading rifles OR shotguns for shooting at deer. Other than the thrill of split second firing of multiple rounds at a live target.

I also agree, while having possible minimal impact, many of the points brought forth have merit and need be considered for long term consequences.

My personal warning, those million or so acres of state game lands will need other sources of funding, to cover for the losses created by the ever decreasing numbers of hunters, who have become disgruntled over the ever increasing number of posted private land.

Be it from this new law, loss of deer herd, no small game, loss of private hunting land or, a combination thereof, the general hunting population is fed up.

Oh.... the state game land comment; laugh if you must.

But see who laughs last when you have to share that land with hikers, bikers, horse back riders and yes ATVs and snowmobiles.

Keep in mind, who got laws allowing crossbows and automatic weapons approved. Lobbyist work for other mfgs too and noone can argue the PGC ISN'T money hungry.

My only wish; I am around to say I told ya so. lol
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/01 20:18:46

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 20:42:49 (permalink)
I've had bullets whizzing by me, one hit the left thigh exited Thur left cheek, ricochet caught right leg I can assure you it's no dam fun. Don't need more flying around just so people don't have to waste time at a range learning to do it right.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 21:10:38 (permalink)
Wow ! Jigs ......bad experience no doubt!

Small real life story how careless people are with guns.......

I just came out of a patch of woods in Crawford County about noon. Truck pulled up across the road from me and three hunters got out. Proceeded to enter a small field in front of a wooded area. Within about a hundred yards in, the one guy pulls his rifle up level and starts shooting randomly into the woods. Firing three shots while the others start yelling and hollering. I'm looking like what the hill is going on ? I got into my vehicle and decided to drive around the area just wondering what's up. Well there they were at the other end of the woods, about 7-8 guys spread out waiting on the deer pushers I'd just seen ! That idiot just fired three high powered shells randomly into a public hunted area!  Unreal !
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/01 23:31:23 (permalink)
From what I read in the Outdoor paper a commissioner stated that the semis would not be allowed for big game hunting,at least not yet.Also for what it is worth semis have been legal for Deer hunting in West Va. with few problems for years. A problem as I see it is that they scare the majority of people that were interviewed that were not hunters, when you consider that approx. 93% of Penna. residents do not hunt it could come back to haunt all hunters. Also as a officer of a shooting club I can attest to the fact that as Semis become more popular we have had about 3 times more damage to our ranges. Personally I don't see how many people can afford to shoot them.  sam
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 08:16:25 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat. As for agreeing to ownership of ARs but not agreeing for the purpose of hunting but it's OK for crazies to have the guns. C'mon man! You gotta do better than that, that is absolutely absurd.

Actually, the conundrum is this and it is a direct contradiction; Most hunters vehemently support someones right to own a semiautomatic firearm irregardless of what bad folks do with them, but then some turn around and oppose someones choice to hunt with a semiautomatic firearm because of what bad folks do with them. Why the changing position if you are in that category?

Your question "is it the person or is it the gun" is nothing more than oxymora of which you pose, in support of your opinion. No matter the opinion, you spin the answer in an attempt to put your opposition, into defense.

I don't have to spin when I point out the contradiction in positions. I have yet to see someone directly address the contradiction but I have seen lots of spin to try to defend the clear contradiction.
I still see no reason for the use of semi-auto loading rifles OR shotguns for shooting at deer. Other than the thrill of split second firing of multiple rounds at a live target.

As I pointed out before, is the litmus test for hunting laws and regs what is "needed"? I pointed out many examples of laws and regs that are not "needed" that you readily accept(I assume so since you never responded to it) and none have been addressed by you.

My personal warning, those million or so acres of state game lands will need other sources of funding, to cover for the losses created by the ever decreasing numbers of hunters, who have become disgruntled over the ever increasing number of posted private land.
Be it from this new law, loss of deer herd, no small game, loss of private hunting land or, a combination thereof, the general hunting population is fed up.
Oh.... the state game land comment; laugh if you must.
But see who laughs last when you have to share that land with hikers, bikers, horse back riders and yes ATVs and snowmobiles.
Keep in mind, who got laws allowing crossbows and automatic weapons approved. Lobbyist work for other mfgs too and noone can argue the PGC ISN'T money hungry.
My only wish; I am around to say I told ya so. lol

You do realize that in states that allow semi rifles for hunting they are far down the list of what hunters choose to carry into the woods. Pa allows semi shotguns and the old pumps are still the ticket for most hunters. There will nto be an army of hunters with "black rifles" assaulting our woods.

BTW, no one has suggested or wants "automatic" weapons approved as legal hunting devices.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 08:21:32 (permalink)
mr.crappie
From what I read in the Outdoor paper a commissioner stated that the semis would not be allowed for big game hunting,at least not yet.

YOu are correct. There is no discussion for big game at all among the current Board of Commissioners.

Also for what it is worth semis have been legal for Deer hunting in West Va. with few problems for years.

Correct. Just as in the 48 states that allow them for hunting.

A problem as I see it is that they scare the majority of people that were interviewed that were not hunters, when you consider that approx. 93% of Penna. residents do not hunt it could come back to haunt all hunters.

Not sure who was interviewed but a majority of non gun owners are "scared" by black rifles when asked and many feel that citizens should not be able to own them. It is up to us as gun owners and hunters to educate those on their legitimate uses and why there is nothing to be more concerned with comparing one gun over another.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 09:10:31 (permalink)
In regard to semi shotguns in SRA's, I find the comparison rather flimsy.  

I'd imagine that most/many are like me, in that their shotguns do double duty.  I've never removed the plug during deer season so that I can hold 3 more slugs in my gun.  We're not talking about guys unloading a 15-30 shot clip full of slugs just because they can.  

Even if you could, sabots are what now?  About $2 a slug?  Some $3 or $4 a slug or more.  That was a couple years ago, when I bought my last 5 pack of "cheap" sabots for $11.  I'd imagine most slug gunners are probably going to be a bit more judicious with their shooting.  

I've read that study - and different opinions on that study - on slugs vs. centerfire projectiles.  It wasn't a PSU study, but a private contractor that conducted the study, Mountaintop Technologies in Johnstown.  Funded by the state.  The conclusions of "danger" were based on ricochet distances.   Both have significant ricochet risks, with the slug gun about 15% more "risky," than a centerfire bullet.  A centerfire bullet though is going to travel hundreds of yards further through the air - in a defined kill zone - before hitting the ground, than a shotgun slug would.  The ricochet is an uncontrollable factor - the projectile could ricochet in any direction.  

I've been on board with just about every additional hunting and weapon opportunity that the PGC has added in the past decade, as well as the expanded opportunities for deer hunting in SRA's, doe hunts for juniors and seniors, the mentored hunting program, etc.  

My concerns have nothing to do with the potential impact on the deer population or getting more hunters into the woods.  I've seen enough of the general hunting public on public land hunts to know that I don't want to be in the woods on public land if people are toting semi auto rifles with high capacity magazines.  

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 09:20:07 (permalink)
^^^^^

I rather doubt that anyone is going to unleashe 15-30 rounds simply because the deer will not be visible for the length of time needed to do so. So that is a non argument.

Fundamentally this discussion comes down to two points -- one side says there will be no issues, discounting the possibility of chuckleheads being chuckleheads and the other fearing things that they can possibly know will happen and even if they do, what the frequency and severity might be.

And until permitting semis happens, both are just conjecture without basis. And if permitting semis does happen, it will take a decade of data to deterimine who was correct.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 09:46:06 (permalink)
DarDys
Fundamentally this discussion comes down to two points -- one side says there will be no issues, discounting the possibility of chuckleheads being chuckleheads and the other fearing things that they can possibly know will happen and even if they do, what the frequency and severity might be.

Actually I have been clear that chuckleheads will be chuckleheads. They already are is my point. I choose to not let chuckleheads drive hunting policy just as I choose to not let chuckleheads drive gun policy. While other choose to not let chuckleheads drive gun policy bur then choose to let chuckleheads drive hunting policy.

pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 09:50:42 (permalink)
But the question is, how much head could a chucklehead chuck if a chucklehead could chuck head?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 09:57:19 (permalink)
Dpms you can read into the responses anyway you wish.

Very sly, posing oxymoron's in the fashion of a question allowing you to spin any comment you find negative to your agenda. Your rebuttals (always the same) referring back to the oxymora, are cleverly used in a condecsending fashion looking to belittle the opposition.

My bad, thought there may be a good debate but there is, just no way to reason, with denial.

My final thought; to those who are truly pondering this issue, "be careful what you wish for", perhaps this law will be "the straw that breaks the camel"s back".

So what do "you"... have to loose?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 10:14:30 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Dpms you can read into the responses anyway you wish.

Very sly, posing oxymoron's in the fashion of a question allowing you to spin any comment you find negative to your agenda. Your rebuttals (always the same) referring back to the oxymora, are cleverly used in a condecsending fashion looking to belittle the opposition.

Not meant that way at all. In my mind it is a good discussion. We just view the point I keep referring back to differently. To me, it is a contradiction and conundrum that I have yet to see an explanation for that changes my opinion that having that position is a direct contradiction.

You may or may not know I am rather active in the hunting community and this topic comes up often. When I bring up the point that I raised with you and some others about whether the bad folks should drive gun and hunting policy, many have contacted me to tell me they never looked at the issue from that perspective and it changed their position on it. Not all do but many have saw the contradiction and came on board.
post edited by dpms - 2016/12/02 10:23:50

Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 11:28:47 (permalink)
dardys, good overall conclusion above (in response to my previous post) about waiting to see.  

i realize that many cried that the sky is falling in response to crossbows, mentored hunting, jr and sr doe hunts, etc and the evidence has proven that those concerns were largely unfounded.  other than the very rare and limited cheating of adults using mentored tags on non-AR legal bucks, i'm not aware of any problems with any of those programs from either a game management or safety perspective.   

i'm not vehemently opposed to semis for deer season, but i see greater cause for concern than with other additions to deer hunting over the past decade.  but like you said, i guess we won't know till we have a decade of data to show us whether or not the concern was unfounded.  hopefully that data doesn't include more hunting "accidents" in the form of hunters or the general public with grave or mortal injuries, or property damage.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 12:08:15 (permalink)
I'm not against changes either, heck with the "low light" conditions I encountered in archery and the fact my eyes grow weaker with age, I am looking forward to oufiting my weapons of choice, with lazer sights. Geez who knows, with today's technology we could be using lazer guided projectiles fired via our trail-cams.

Now that there would keep the four-wheeler's from driving around on your hunting turf.

Sorry, brain freeze setting in, coffee time!.

PS. Nothing moving except, this dam tree.

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 13:57:33 (permalink)
rsquared
dardys, good overall conclusion above (in response to my previous post) about waiting to see.  

i realize that many cried that the sky is falling in response to crossbows, mentored hunting, jr and sr doe hunts, etc and the evidence has proven that those concerns were largely unfounded.  other than the very rare and limited cheating of adults using mentored tags on non-AR legal bucks, i'm not aware of any problems with any of those programs from either a game management or safety perspective.   

i'm not vehemently opposed to semis for deer season, but i see greater cause for concern than with other additions to deer hunting over the past decade.  but like you said, i guess we won't know till we have a decade of data to show us whether or not the concern was unfounded.  hopefully that data doesn't include more hunting "accidents" in the form of hunters or the general public with grave or mortal injuries, or property damage.  

That is cause little 6 year old who weighs about 50 lbs. and is barely four feet tall is not pulling the trigger on a big ol' buck...daddy is
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 14:01:07 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I'm not against changes either, heck with the "low light" conditions I encountered in archery and the fact my eyes grow weaker with age, I am looking forward to oufiting my weapons of choice, with lazer sights. Geez who knows, with today's technology we could be using lazer guided projectiles fired via our trail-cams.

Couple years ago, I actually saw some technology like that somewhere on the interwebs.  Except I think it was a remotely operated gun, and not laser guided.  
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 14:10:25 (permalink)
psu_fish

That is cause little 6 year old who weighs about 50 lbs. and is barely four feet tall is not pulling the trigger on a big ol' buck...daddy is

And the regulations were changed this year to address that concern.  Mentored hunters under age 7 do not get their own buck tag anymore and must use the buck tag of the mentor.  So whether or not daddy or junior pulls the trigger, daddy's buck tag is going on that deer.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 14:23:47 (permalink)
rsquared
BeenThereDoneThat.

Couple years ago, I actually saw some technology like that somewhere on the interwebs.  Except I think it was a remotely operated gun, and not laser guided.  

Did you see the Youtube incident where the guys fitted a drone with a hand gun and remote controled servo to pull the trigger?

Not sure the video is still up and I'm thinking there was a visit from the law.

Update; Youtube search " Teens gun mounted drone".

And it is semi-auto and accurate.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/02 14:32:48

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 14:29:13 (permalink)
I got an email from the PGC that included a reminder that semis were not yet legal for hunting use in PA.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 14:46:32 (permalink)
rsquared
psu_fish

And the regulations were changed this year to address that concern.  Mentored hunters under age 7 do not get their own buck tag anymore and must use the buck tag of the mentor.  So whether or not daddy or junior pulls the trigger, daddy's buck tag is going on that deer.  

I'm sure that helps...but 7 y/o Johnny still aint pulling no trigger
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 17:44:06 (permalink)
Haha, ok.

What age do you suppose a kid would pull it since you seem to know so much about kids?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/12/02 19:59:34 (permalink)
Who are these Einsteins that think these rules up? Let me guess, officials with children under 7 years of age?

Seriously, some of you guys would agree to let children "belly up to the bar" just for the sake of an argument.

Well maybe not "belly up to the bar" but you'd have no problem with "designated driver".

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Jump to: