upcoming season

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 7 of 9
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/12 12:20:46 (permalink)
Well this is the year for the 2010 flood fish so who knows maybe numbers are down.  It  is cold and rainy, I would not be surprised if reports start trickling in with a push late in the week especially if the winds keep up and push them in.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/13 18:31:31 (permalink)
It seems to me, I am seeing off shore charters showing off a lot of brown trout catches....And big ones to boot!....Oak Orchard is where I go for big browns but maybe we'll see more on the SR?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/13 19:28:35 (permalink)
Charters are ditching the fish less salmon days and picking on the easy browns to put clients on rods. Everything in my research for salmon on the lake has been frustration .
I think the browns have taken a beating ( hitting boxes ) so there may be far less in the rivers come fall.
Time will tell on the sharks , soon ... Very soon after these heavy west winds ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/13 20:24:57 (permalink)
The pictures I've seen seem to indicate there's not much C&R where the brown's are concerned....I personally don't want to eat Browns but to each his own.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 09:21:54 (permalink)
Won't be long now....my crystal ball shows a nice run of cohos on September 3rd. 

wishin i was fishin
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 09:51:26 (permalink)
Just heard yesterday some charters are going out to 500' targeting next years salmon for the clients that want salmon... Will be shocked if the port doesn't have fish in it after 2 days of east wind and followed by the heavy west wind we are having now as tuna said... Colder temps and higher flows coupled with the wind events should have fish in the port by tonight...
fischnmachine
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 10:13:06 (permalink)
Hey Clint dumb question but given its a put and take fishery how did the flood impact numbers.  I suspect the DEC got their egg numbers right?  So was it when they put the fingerlings in, the floods killed off some of numbers or do you mean that there was no in river reproduction which may have impacted total numbers.  I'm just trying to get my head around it.  Thanks...
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 10:15:38 (permalink)
bigbear2012
Won't be long now....my crystal ball shows a nice run of cohos on September 3rd. 

BB Ibet you may be right on that.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 10:41:43 (permalink)
Fish machine, for quite some time there has been a very high rate of natural reproduction for Chinook strains in the salmon river. Catastrophic flooding during peak spawn is not good for natural reproduction. Many fish end up spawning in areas that are usually dry land and many eggs get washed out from beds on the main portions of rivers as well... Egg collection numbers were fine that year if I remember correctly but as we've noticed for quite some time now we have been getting larger numbers of natural returns than hatchery return kings. And the natural fish seem to run earlier instinctually... So time will tell. If natural returns are low this year we will end up with late September and October having the large runs of fish in the lower river... Kinda like it used to be in the early to late 90's
fischnmachine
Avid Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 13:59:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the info dime.  I honestly wasn't sure when the flood happened i.e. during spawn or around the time the state places the fingerlings (and truthfully I'm not sure when that happens either....).  Last question, has the state started dialing back there egg collection to account for natural reproduction and if not is there a plan to account for such numbers.  If I remember correctly aren't the numbers of predators i.e. salmonoid species being one decimating the bait fish populations.  Why do I want to say bunker or rather alewives was one of those...  I could be completely off my rocker by the way. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 14:14:28 (permalink)
again in my research about the lake fishery, (home on the computer again)..
The 2 year class is what is being targeted WAY out in that 500fow range..
The sure thing to put clients on rods has been Browns..
Most lake guys are complaining about the lack of mature salmon, a lot...
How or why this is, is still the mystery to be solved by the trib fishery..
I certainly don't have the expertise to figure out whats going on, flood, drought or natural reproduction, all I can do is take in the information , try to process it and make a plan from there..

I do believe that after these heavy west winds, fish will hit the river VERY soon.. How many, how big, for how long ?? Time will tell..
My initial thoughts are that it will be a light amount of salmon this season.. Basically, more people standing around looking and waiting for the fish, that may never come..
If you can hit the river EARLY this season, it might be the best game in town..

Steelhead:
Browns are easy targets for the lake guys, steelhead are not so and there have been good indications of some nice catches (luck) of steelhead happening out there..
I do believe the steelhead numbers are just FINE and there will be plenty throughout..  Since the 1 trout limit went into effect, the number of fish returning has been 3 fold.. I'm just fine with a 6 lb silver bullet trout in the fall and a 12-15 lb honker in the spring..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 15:40:54 (permalink)
From what I read it is exactly what Dime and HT say. The flood was around the 25th of September IIRC as I was on A cruise when it happened. I did not catch a clipped fish last year and most of what I saw that were dead were wild.  I also seem to remember some disease cutting stocking to almost nill , but this was way back 80's or early 90's and returns we horrible.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fischnmachine
Avid Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 16:00:22 (permalink)
You know honestly I rarely pay attention but a buddy and I were just discussing the stocking program.  He essentially insisted that the program isn't it really impacting the overall return.  As he put it, "it's a grooming program".  Although I wondered what that really even meant I was under the impression the stocking program was still very necessary but perhaps I'm totally wrong.  Thanks again for the discussion, I find it interesting understanding the impact of stocking on a potentially self sustaining ecosystem if you will.  My guess years of work is really starting to pay dividends.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 16:03:09 (permalink)
fischnmachine
Thanks for the info dime.  I honestly wasn't sure when the flood happened i.e. during spawn or around the time the state places the fingerlings (and truthfully I'm not sure when that happens either....).  Last question, has the state started dialing back there egg collection to account for natural reproduction and if not is there a plan to account for such numbers.  If I remember correctly aren't the numbers of predators i.e. salmonoid species being one decimating the bait fish populations.  Why do I want to say bunker or rather alewives was one of those...  I could be completely off my rocker by the way. 

I visited the hatchery on our down time.. I really should have at least taken a pic of the  2013 -14 egg take..
If my terrible memory is correct, the chinook take was full capacity.. it was either 5 mill or 2.5 mill , I cant recall other then remember under the numbers it said FULL .
The steelhead take was also quite impressive, again.. somewhere in the 2-4 mill range..
They also list the number of females for each species and the average eggs per..
Man I wish I took that down..... Ah, next time..

P.S.
as some may recall they used to stock 5mill chinooks.. They cut the number back to 2.5-3 mill in the early 90's ? to account for natural reproduction and over abundance VS available food source in the lake. I have not heard of any further cuts since then except for the shortfall in egg harvest in 2011 due to drought (remember they closed the LFZ, Jack )
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/08/14 16:29:49

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 16:19:33 (permalink)
The biggest pay back per say has been the min-flow standards set gosh, 15 years ago ?
It has helped the Salmon returns VASTLY from natural reproduction (They leave the river before the temps hit in the summer)..

If some of the ole timers recall , 3 years after they cut the stocking in 1/2 the salmon returns were HORRIBLE for about 5 years.. Then the light went off and the ecologist earned their keep.. Min flows were established , not for the chinooks but for the Atlantic's and Skams.. Well the Chinooks THRIVED the Atlantic's failed..
I think they are getting closer on the Atlantic's though, being they figured out it was bad diet in the Lake Ontario food chain.. I 'm not so sure the problem will be solved however as it's hard to control what a fish will eat..  While I know they are a fish that are dear to the heart of some, it's still a tough $$$$$$$$$ sell for myself after ALL this time..

fischnmachine
Avid Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 16:26:03 (permalink)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lou2013hilights.pdf

Found something, interestingly I looked at the 2012 as well.  Seems they have problems with the Brown eggs and disease, as well as turning out viable coho eggs. 

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2010/10/dec_hatchery_finishing_up_seas.html
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 18:00:52 (permalink)
Clint, If I remeber correctly it was around Oct. 10th when the river began elevating to flood stage. And it was 2-3k for quite some time with murky muddy water from all of the sand deposits in the reservoirs and upper stretches. Salmon were close to gone when river completely stabilized but chuck full of steelhead. the dsr ended up with many dead fish after water receded... Had heard that they did get special permission from dec to physically take fish back to main river. So who knows about the outcome of this season.

Even if its a light year I'm sure it will be nothing but typical for my targeting and expectations.. Some decent fishing til mid September with a back down when crowds come. If I have some multiple hook up afternoon and mornings I'm fine with that. But "IF " it is a bad year for natural returns it will be a very noticeable decrease in numbers and it may end up being a year with weeks of stragglers and some small pushes of fish with one bigger run mid to late season. So yes, it may be a season that often supports more fisherman than fish. I'm sure some of the long time river stompers remember seasons waiting for that run to come and when it finally came it was a whopper. The recent years have changed so much. Seems to be steady fish movement with multiple large (some amazingly large) runs
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/14 19:35:05 (permalink)
HT IIRC the problem with the natives  was the alwives and smelt stored something that blocked thiamine??? that made the fry die.  This is why the massive stockings failed in the early 80's. Here is a big kicker though from what I have read the round goby is very high on thiamine????? and when their paths cross in the fall and spring in the shallower water they are eating them in abundance and this is leading to more natural repo. I may have also read that they have also done some bioengineering to make the less reliant on thiamine and they are also looking into stocking Cisco and sculpon that are the native forage. 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 16:25:38 (permalink)
fischnmachine
You know honestly I rarely pay attention but a buddy and I were just discussing the stocking program.  He essentially insisted that the program isn't it really impacting the overall return.  As he put it, "it's a grooming program".  Although I wondered what that really even meant I was under the impression the stocking program was still very necessary but perhaps I'm totally wrong.  Thanks again for the discussion, I find it interesting understanding the impact of stocking on a potentially self sustaining ecosystem if you will.  My guess years of work is really starting to pay dividends.

The stocking program is not just based on the SR, but all the tribs, and the SR is the only significant non-Hatchery reproduction.  They stock a lot in the SR to get adequate returns to the hatchery to maintain the entire fishery.  While some of the naturals may stray into other tribs, most go back to the SR, so ending stocking in the SR will have a profoundly negative effect on the charter and other stream systems, so I would not hold my breath.  And they are non native, invasive species whether they reproduce in the SR or are put in the lake by the state.  Make enough noise about ending stocking and it could come down to ending Kings and cohos, which I know a lot of guys who would support in favor of atlantics, but we could loose the steelhead as well in that scenario.  I would trust the biologists, Dan Carrol and his staff in Region 7, and the rest of the LO staff, are all great scientists.  Go to the biologists reports pages on the DEC website, and you get the numbers rather than speculation. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27068.html

Just sayin....

L13   
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 16:43:57 (permalink)
They made egg quota in 2011, but had to go to the Black River to do it.  They also had problems last year because the low water made the big egg filled hens visible in the gauntlet below 81, but they have the alternate sights and got most of what they needed.   There were problems with Cohos, there will be lean times coming.   I spoke with a captain yesterday, said before the blow they were getting kings off Rochester, Point breeze was dead, and his friends from the other side of the pond were slaying salmon .  Hotline says fish are scattered. Remember, things are about 2 weeks behind normal, in the daks what blueberries we found were mainly still small and  white, and there were still a lot of raspberries, usually gone by end of July. Orchids that are normally in flower when I am up there were just pushing up when I got there, and only flowered the last couple of days.  So it may take a little longer for the "run" to organize and stage.   There have also been some heavy inversions lately, water was 49° on Tuesday at the beach.  But 2 year old numbers and health were good last year, so there should be plenty of kings around, unless some mystery disease hit out there.  Just a matter of time.

L13
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 18:04:57 (permalink)
Excellent points and post. I always count on L-13 for the in-depth on research . Thanks

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 18:05:49 (permalink)
Yes as L13 says it's been a strange year weather wise,now we have Sept. in August.I just hope we don't have August in Sept.
Whatever it is I will be there in my secret spot come end of Sept. and first of Oct.I'm reasonably sure there will be some fish to play with.Will my fishing buddies join me?
post edited by pafisher - 2014/08/15 18:06:58
fischnmachine
Avid Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 18:08:40 (permalink)
Hey Lucky, I wasn't saying the stocking should end.  The conversation was really around the need for stocking.  He felt it was unnecessary and I was definitely on the other side of the fence.  I have to say great point of the reproduction of salmon on other tribs.  In fact I was reading that the tribs range from 30-70 % the SR being the highest.  I think he was thinking of the tribs we fish and how he believes most are unclipped fish.  I plan to use your comment about the other tribs the next time I talk to him.  Any insight to why the cohos have been an issue at the hatchery or why they seem to have issues with disease specific to the browns?  Lastly why would flourishing Atlantics lead to the demise of Steelhead- predation from the atlantics or competition for forage like baitfish?
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 20:48:14 (permalink)
Read some stuff bout the thermocline being somewhat different this year due to wind shifts and weather patterns.
Some think that has made the mature salmon hang out chasing food in different areas than normal and difficult to locate - hope so,  because the lake reports about adult kings are about nil.
 Whatever it is  the should show after this weather- usually this would produce a beginning few pods at the least- we will see this year.
We may have been spoiled lately and about to get a reality dose.
Already a sure thing with Hos- hope Kings don't follow.
Aint that the way things go - couple of years with banner numbers and wondering bout affects of low hot waters in da river and now with cool higher waters we wonder where the fish are///.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/15 20:50:54
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/15 21:10:57 (permalink)
The returning 'flood fish' came in pretty good numbers and were generally not molested by fisherfolks as ya couldnt get to them. Unfortunately gotta wonder how many spawned in somebodys driveway or a parking lot.
 Egg success is likely an issue but the floods receded and there were still  fish around doing the nasty.
Plus the stocked ones ( albeit in much lower numbers than the past).
They are there someplace- how many though????
Lately the real earlies mostly seem to be naturals.
 Love da pre- season jitters.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/15 21:13:42
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/16 10:16:57 (permalink)
 " Any insight to why the cohos have been an issue at the hatchery or why they seem to have issues with disease specific to the browns?  Lastly why would flourishing Atlantics lead to the demise of Steelhead- predation from the atlantics or competition for forage like baitfish?"

At the SOL meeting in the spring, Mike Connerton reported that they had a problem with eye-up of coho eggs last year, and lost a portion of the eggs before hatch out.  I don't think this is reflected in the 2013 numbers but will show up in the 2014 stocking numbers, as the 2013 numbers only show about a 15% shortfall.  Because of the disease problems in so many systems, they can't go elsewhere for replacement eggs anymore.   But cohos are a sort of "extra" to the program, numbers reared are way below kings.  They stock about 30K cohos in the SR, and over 300K kings, plus the naturals.  They are working on the fin clip studies with cohos next.    As to Browns, they had problems statewide for disease in one hatchery, so they missed the 392K target for LO in 2013, but still stocked 331K, not sure about impacts for 2014. On the Atlantics and Steelhead (or kings), there is at least one camp of people who want to see restoration of the native lake Ontario ecosystem, which would have Lake trout and Atlantics as the top predators.  In a full realization of that scenario, all these exotics would go.  Atlantics and steelhead, being of similar size, compete a lot for habitat and spawning sites.  But short of finding a magic bullet to get rid of the alewifes,  I don't see a natural species only policy happening, as the king is still the control valve for the herring.  We actually had a short lived and sparse alewife die-off on the lake this summer, which got a lot of people remembering what a manure pile the beaches were in June and July before the salmon program. 

L13
post edited by Lucky13 - 2014/08/16 10:21:12
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/16 10:35:21 (permalink)
gees we need the fish to get here already

wishin i was fishin
fischnmachine
Avid Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/16 20:52:18 (permalink)
Thank L13 I appreciate the info.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/17 10:27:55 (permalink)
Agreed Bear- goin nuts here-cant wait for somebody to report fish off the mouth and some decent pods in the Estuary---beginings-----
cpswing
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 150
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/17 11:01:16 (permalink)
HT are the catching very many browns lakers and or steel on the lake? Or is it too early yet?
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 7 of 9
Jump to: