upcoming season

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Author
ssgt12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/05 08:56:49 (permalink)
well getting ready of the new year  Im retired now and have less time to do my things than I did when I was working  hope there is still rooms for weekdays in sept and oct taking a day trip 21 aug to check in with some of our friends up there
hope all had a good summer and will see you on the river (I hope)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/05 11:23:29 (permalink)
Retired last August and couldn't wait for hunting season; made it out 7 days the entire season, there seem to be a problem with something called a honey-do list. Last winter provided some of the best ice in a long time but, there was that list again. Spring brought great excitement and dreams of slab crappie and bull gills; sure wished I could made it out. Fishing this summer has been slow with little success. Most are blaming the weather for their lack of time on the water. As for me, I don't seem to be able to find the bottom of that list. Am I complaining; certainly not, about retiring at 63?

If the handle 'ssgt' stands for Staff Sergeant; from me and mine to you and yours, thank you.

Remember a bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work.

Happy fishing.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/07 09:31:19 (permalink)
Well I tried yesterday and today to get on the NYDEC website but it seems it is down.  wanted to inquire about getting that tree moved in the LFZ. May have to call if t does no luck.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/07 14:25:59 (permalink)
Clint,could n't your DEC neighbor help in that project.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/07 15:45:45 (permalink)
Next time I see him, that was my thought too.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 07:12:06 (permalink)
Leave it for a season, then remove. Wouldn't have to tie a steel or salmon fly for a couple of years.    They may not remove it, Clint. It doesn't impede navigation, as long as your neighbor can get by, and some very annoying,  prime  hole robbing trees have remained; like the one at the head of the Paradise Pool. I had a steel run under it last year and manage to come back out. I had my rod tip 6 feet under as I was standing on a the edge of a ledge, otherwise, just another snap off. Maybe Jailwaters' maintenance guys will go up and take it out.  I'm sure plenty of their Spey stays will want to go up under the hemlocks; once they realize casting  at the feet of guys fishing the north bank of the Barrel could get costly. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 08:19:28 (permalink)
There have been a few obstacles in some prime spots that I wished were gone. I asked about getting them removed but the DEC staid just what Fichy stated.
They were a pain and sometimes heart breakers but you know what was great about them , it kept many other fishers away too. After the flood of 2010 , one in particular got washed away and now that spot gets fished heavily . Other ones I have seen where someone took it upon themselves to cut them. Not something I would due because if caught the penalty is pretty hefty ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 08:51:46 (permalink)
Yea I think I know the answer, but it will not hurt asking. A HUGE tree fell in Pineville right below the launch about a hundred yards or so. They brought a dozer in to pull it out. If I get a good answer I will certainly put in about the one at the head of the paradise. The one in the lfz does impede foot tragic a bit.  A hand saw and 15 minutes or so and "someone " may pull it out.

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 12:40:04 (permalink)
Many years ago I removed a small tree that was in the way up in the UFZ,a small bow saw is all I needed  Borrowed it from the Port Lodge Motel where I used to stay up there.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 13:17:30 (permalink)
For you NEW retirees -
congrats--
Got lucky and managed to retire at 55-been out 12 yrs now and  find it harder and harder to do the things one THINKS there will be all kinda time for .
 Fact of he matter is ( like it or not) it takes longer to do stuff now so ya have less time than imagined.
Long term planning or just not giving a hoot about other things will help but its hard-
Ex- cant even think about fishing till yard stuff is done on trips to SR counry- used to let it wait- now GOTTA get it done in order to relax--nuts.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 13:36:56 (permalink)
Dang retired 12 years ago, you say, and you still don't have time!! That's it, I'm callin' ARRP, I hear they can help us oldie but goldies find a job. "NOT"....
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 13:53:33 (permalink)
Yea rg, that is nuts.. Lol. The grass will all die off soon any way so I couldn't give a hoot if the few neighbors I have care, Time is too short , I'm going fishin ' !!!!
Ah this last day, last hr at work is killing me !!! Lake Ontario look out , here I come for 9 days !!
Don't bother with the river this year folks, I'm gonna ( with a little help from my friends ) catch EVERY salmon in the lake .. LMAO

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 14:11:27 (permalink)
Yea butttt Tuna- you just dont understand--- bout the time the grass dies ya gotta rake the leaves.
Ya stayin at Selkirk next week ??
Hope ya hit them good.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 15:23:50 (permalink)
Yes a bow saw and 15minutes wmould take care of the one in the lfz.  would take a chair saw for the huge one in the upper.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 16:44:44 (permalink)
Good luck, HT. Have a blast and I hope you find them thick and hungry.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 18:02:43 (permalink)
Well I got a reply from the DEC they said they would forward my concerns to the appropriate department. From there who knows. I think next time I see my friendly neighborhood officer I will ask him who to call. The tree in the upper zone would add a few extra spots to the rotation.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 18:32:21 (permalink)
Actually, I'd like  to see that tree in the upper to stay right the hell where it is. Don't need a  groomed golf course to fish on and don't need rotation, either. I mentioned it because they didn't remove it, not because I'd like any of them cut out.  If you do get the one in the upper removed Clint, I'll send in a letter of complaint.  Those fish get beat to death up there, it's good they have one difficult, protected lie. Just my opinion, which is worth exactly zero. 
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 18:37:06 (permalink)
I agree Fichy....Actually, there needs to be some improvement in the river that provides habitat for fish...There's no place for them to hide.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 20:04:42 (permalink)
Charlie, rotation was a bad choice of words you know I don't believe in that crap either.  I was more talking about "my" rotation of go to spots.  I do see your point  about giving them a place to rest and that tree in the upper zone does give that.   The one in the LFZ makes it more of a big pain to get over/under it to get to the hemlocks. It really is not a big tree only about 4 inches around. Honestly I think a couple of guys can and will just pull it out of the way.   Don't fish in the upper zone alot so I really don't care about the upper zone tree so if it makes you happy I won't say a word. 🚧😉. Tell you the truth though I think the chances of the DEC lifting a finger on either one is slim to none.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 20:17:28 (permalink)
Man just drown last week while floating one of the creeks around Erie. He and a buddy, both wearing jackets, hit a tree laying in the water. The poor sole got hung up, his buddy couldn't free him and went for help............. Young girl drown in French Creek at Franklin, PA. while floating with a church group a few years ago after her jacket got caught by the very snag that created the back wash that capsized her canoe............ First responder drown in Slippery Rock Creek while attempting a water rescue/recovery. I'll stand corrected but, I believe he got caught up in a snag. These are, but, a few incidents that occur each year on our nations streams, creeks, and rivers.

I find no better fish magnets then cover such as these snags but, the truth of the matter is more and more novice boaters are using the creeks and rivers for recreation. You and I know the more people injured, be they novice or experienced, people are going to pressure the authorities to keep the waterways clear of snags.

We also know that waterways are constantly changing so, a snag that is not a threat to navigation today can become a death trap tomorrow.

Losing good fish holding structure sucks but as always; for some people to play, other people pay.
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 20:52:47 (permalink)
Didn't mean to be so harsh, Clint. That lower one will go by hook or crook. Who wants to fall in crawling over it?  I'd take it out myself if I'm around and it's still there. The one in the upper is in unwadeable  water that also never sees boats.  We're on the same page.
  BTDT, good post.  Quite a battle between fishermen and tubers/boaters.
It's been raging on my home river, the Battenkill for over a decade and getting worse.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/08 21:20:18 (permalink)
That one in Pineville was way out. Whatever they brought in was  big, probably a tracked excavator. Charlie sometimes it's good to take a step back and hear another point of view. Never do many give a thought to what those fish go through for our enjoyment and to fuel our addiction so if a few trees give them a place to rest  maybe that is not all bad. Your right the tree in the UFZ does not impede waders or boat traffic. Too bad about those drowning BTDT, never like to hear  about stuff like that.
I have heard some rumblings about a few fish seen here or there, but nothing I can say is fact and nothing reported on the interweb. I will probably go for a walk next week.

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/09 07:44:59 (permalink)
Now yall do know that moving that tree without a DEC permit may well be a violation.
I  have to believe the SR is listed a a trout stream.
I like  the natural approach myself.
A decade ago an ice storm toppled trees around a trickle which took away several holes in a very small piece of water.
 They have done nothing since it is not a threat to boaters.
They are still there and I have learned to ajust.
They are now snagger holes since you need a quick decent and removal of you hook or you will be snagged on bottom.
Obladi  oblada life goes on braugh
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/10 18:34:32 (permalink)
Well I hit a plus on the up coming season.  We  drove  to Elmira to see my less than 1 day old niece (her sister).  I noted on the way down on 17 we briefly passed through PA.  Well the wheels got turning and after a asking for some info a quick trip to Wally world was in the works on the way home. I have enough lead for the entire season with some to spare.  I hope to take the nephew so extra snags and losses will be in the works so I needed to stock up a bit.

My niece is doing well as with mom. She has a bit of mucous in her belly so she has not eaten yet and she needs to be suctioned.  If she eats they can go home tomorrow 

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/10 20:30:18 (permalink)
Score on the weight. Congrats, Uncle Clint
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/10 21:44:40 (permalink)
The annual white fly blitz is under way on the Housatonic.  May venture over to Bull's Bridge or Cornwall Bridge to try my luck tomorrow evening.

Congrats on the new family member Clint.
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/11 18:26:26 (permalink)
Read at least one report of a few salmon entering the SR.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/12 09:27:24 (permalink)
Gotta say, we have had zero success locating or getting the salmon on the lake in 3 days. Between 2 boats and 12 rods only 1 fish to show for the efforts. A small steelhead was caught on the dipsy rod Sunday afternoon .
All other boats & charters have basically given up on therm and are targeting browns instead.
With the heavy winds and rain , today will be a down time at the camp with plenty of ice cold BEER :)
Try again tomorrow if the lake will allow us.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/12 09:42:22 (permalink)
Been reading  number or lake reports lately indicating that Kings are real tough to locate this year and many are turning to other species.
The river run ???-after two banner years---we will know soon.
 Good luck with the boat and trip Tuna-  am sure its great for ya to be out there trying a new venture.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/08/12 11:55:23 (permalink)
HT,your report is surprising considering a report out of Oswego a couple weeks ago and my son in law and family having a good trip on the western end of big O.Maybe the salmon have n't come that far east yet?
Remeber our discussion about Smallies? That's what I would go for if the Salmon are not there.
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Jump to: