And so it continues...

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/10 13:42:05 (permalink)
DarDys
A coworker has now stuck three since the beginning of the season and recovered zero. Each stuck deer had made it to posted property (his neighbor) that he will not enter. I suggested hunting somewhere else to remove that possibility, but he says he will just switch from a vertical bow to a cross bow.

Not a shot at archers, just something that puzzles me.

Just realize that rifle hunters are not immune from unrecovered game. Often times, a arrow hit deer can recover from some pretty nasty hits. Rifle wounds involve much more traumatic damage to tissues.  Just a guess, but my opinion is we lose more deer in rifle season than archery. 

My rifle is a black rifle
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/10 13:59:29 (permalink)
No doubt. Economy of scale would predict that.

Again, no shot at archers, just found it odd that the guy would continually set himself up for failure by hunting that close to a no entry area with a weapon that may require a greater distance for the animal to succumb than has been demonstrated on at least three occasions so far just this year.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/11 14:01:29 (permalink)
post edited by S-10 - 2014/10/11 14:04:03
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/11 21:49:26 (permalink)
I have said it before and I'll say it again ..,. Pa has ALOT of "slob" hunters....

call them what you want... dis-honest...slobs.. law breakers, tresspassers, un-ethical.... what ever

I can add 3 stories of deer hit and not found already this year, one 8 point and 2 does...

fellas.. let's face it MANY guys do not take deer hunting near as serious as some on here do.. it's just like snaggers and trout killer anglers ... ever watch how some guys put their trout/fish back into the stream ????

quotes===
they're just deer... who cares.. I'll just try again tomorrow, I see lots of deer so no biggy not finding one...  I don't care how far they are I just let her fly..... I hear all of these at work from customers....

which has more.. rifle or archery... not really sure .. I know lots of guys who hear a shot see a wounded deer running by and they finish it for theirs...  so just maybe that many do not get "lost" in rifle season...

but one thing I find fascinating is the number of guys who have no problems talking about losing one in archery ... social media.. forums.. message boards.. it happens every year ....

If I ever lose one I doubt it will ever show up on the internet. 
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/11 23:11:54 (permalink)
You liken someone who doesn't put a trout back in the stream, when in most of Pa its an intended "put and take" fishery, to dishonest slobs, trespassers and law breakers? lol. 

I don't consider myself any of the above, but if I remember and have time later in the week, I'll have to post a pic of a 10" rainbow with an 8/0 gamakatsu octo. hook through the lower back just before I lob it out into the river for flathead cats tomorrow night.

But don't worry...   All  flats I catch go right back into the river, totally unharmed.    Resource first!
post edited by wayne c - 2014/10/11 23:16:50

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/12 09:09:05 (permalink)
you did not quite get my meaning with the angler remark.. I was talking about those that just throw them, put them back while they are bleeding, etc... you know...  not really what many would call sportsmanship ....
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: And so it continues... 2014/10/13 16:02:23 (permalink)
S-10

What was the reply?

I guess I could clarify -- from a personal perspective, I will not hunt any closer to a no entry area than 100 yards. Why? I have had deer drop in their tracks and I have had deer go 75 yards, all with decent front half shots and it did not matter if it was shot with a .243, a 300 Weatherby, or something in between. So I will not set myself up fir failure to lose a deer to a no entry piece of ground.

But, then again, if I knock anything but pure tail feathers off a bird but don't put in the game bag, I still count it toward my limit.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: