Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
2014/06/11 17:01:43 (permalink)

And so it continues...

Just parked in front of a newspaper box and the headline is PGC to offer 13,000 extra for permits. Apparently because less than the number if fingers you have on one hand deer were found with CWD, the herd needs decimated further in Blair and Bedford Counties.

Keep in mind that the disease cannot be transferred to humans and there has NEVER been a deer die of CWD -- although deer with CWD have died, most by vehicle or hunters, none gave been proven to have been killed by the disease. Studies show if CWD did kill deer, it would not be until they were older, in the 6+ year range, something very uncommon in PA.

But to "solve" a problem that "may" exist in a fraction of a fraction of one percent of the population, let's wipe them out.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

66 Replies Related Threads

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/12 06:45:55 (permalink)
    It is not to reduce the herd, it is to "control the spread of the disease"....WF....Sounds like a politician talking

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/12 11:01:58 (permalink)
    Lets not forget herd reduction was also done to stop the spread of Lyme disease. That's working out real well also. Since herd reduction, Lyme disease has INCREASED all across the state and the biologists have admitted the deer have nothing to do with it. I just got off antibiotics for it myself for the first time in my life after a lifetime of hunting and handling deer.
    WILD BROOKIE
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/12 11:39:35 (permalink)
    LOTS OF PRIVATE GROUND NOT OPEN TO HUNTING IN THAT AREA WITH LOTS OF DEER SO THE GAMELANDS GET POUNDED EVEN HARDER?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/16 07:28:02 (permalink)
    Since I was too cheap to buy the newspaper -- actually I just refuse to patronize that newspaper because of certain writers whom they employ -- I don't know if the 13,000 extra tags are antlerless only. If the true mission is to somehow address CWD, they should not be antlerless tags only because a male deer is just as likely to become infected as a female deer. Further, AR should no longer apply in the CWD zone because I doubt the disease is selective to the point of not affecting scrubs and young bucks.

So if all deer, regardless of gender or antler size are not included, this is a pure BS herd reduction move. If they are included then this is a pure BS herd reduction move for another reason.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/16 17:31:25 (permalink)
    CWD..

I was informed today that the local WCO and maybe some land folks will be picking up ALL road-killed deer in Jefferson County and have them all tested for CWD.....
    Guess Jefferson County will be next on the list >>>>>  :(
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/19 05:43:50 (permalink)
    ^ With the change in your seasons and now this, welcome to what the rest of us have been dealing with from the PGC for years.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/19 07:18:07 (permalink)
    My relation that live in the farming part of Jefferson county have been unable to understand my complaining about the lack of deer for years. Sounds like they may be about to find out.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/19 14:03:19 (permalink)
    My only concern would be IF they find any and IF they were to do something like they did this year with the extra doe tags for the CWD areas ... still plenty of deer around here ..... no does (that I am aware of) taken last year within a mile of my house .. and I have seen three does with twins in the pasture already this year !!! :)
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/20 05:41:24 (permalink)
    Don't worry, they will.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/25 11:43:06 (permalink)
    The PGC has fallen Into the same hole that many others have in regards to CWD. Overhyping the disease and implementing plans that have been proven to not work. The whole state will be deemed a cwd area in time.

Hunting has remained strong as has game populations in other areas of the country that have had a long history of CWD.

My rifle is a black rifle
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/06/25 20:12:59 (permalink)
    How cwd is being handled is a farce.   And having given exec director & consequently staff the power over dmas, which will increase and have increased significantly in area is an even bigger farce.

Just stayin' the course at all costs.   With cwd being a very convenient enabler.

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/07/03 00:16:22 (permalink)
    that sucks for everyone
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/07/03 05:45:53 (permalink)
    Taked with a coworker that is a DWCO and it is antlerless only.  So either CWD discrimiantes by gender and antler size or this is just another kill the does campaign.  And I doubt the disease is selective.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/05 05:48:07 (permalink)
    How come it is "totally impossible" to require all hunters to report thier deer hunting results -- harvest or not harvest -- for the general season, but required that one do so if they have a CWD permit?

And the answer isn't because there are 13K CWD permits and 1M antlerless tags because computers are pretty fast these days.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/05 15:07:25 (permalink)
    Next time your sitting around and wondering what you could be doing; just for some giggles study the history regarding, not the Elk but, the Elk range in PA. Notice how the new Elk range has encompassed where (big) white tail were once found in very large numbers. That is until the new WMU 2G came about which is the new boarder for the Elk range north of I-80. Soon the boarder for the Elk range will be moving south of I-80 and (surprise) that will take in Blair and Bedford counties.

Next study the history of the, now extinct, Eastern Elk that once populated PA. and you will find that the new designated Elk range is, just that, the same range once inhabited by the Eastern Elk.

Stay with me here as I try to stir up a good debate.

Now, study the desease(s) that will kill Elk compared to the White Tail. CWD you say, possibly, but how about a virus that destroys the brain of an Elk but does not affect the White Tail? Look it up, don't take my word for it, and please do not become dispondent as you learn that the White Tail, while not affected by the virus, is a carrier.

While your involved with your research to prove me wrong, take a minute and study the food sources relied upon by both Elk and the White Tail. Probably not a great factor at this time, at least, until the designated Elk range becomes over populated with animals competing for, the same food source.

Horse radish you say, their trying to keep the Elk herd(s) under control by issuing so many permits a year. Yep, right you are for now but, more important they are building support for their program by allowing people to apply for the 'hunt of a life time'. (Beg your pardon here but, I am old school and can not call shooting an animal that will eat from your hand......... hunting.) Just my personal oppinion mind you.

Please except my apology for any typos as I had to type this thread myself, you see after reading the draft, my secretary said I was nuts and quit.

To all may I say good luck and hunt safely; the life you save may be mine.

PS Sorry if I caused anyone nightmares.
    SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/05 17:52:57 (permalink)
    BTDT...two problems...elk and whitetails Generally DO NOT compete for the same food sources.  There are some overlaps of course, but they are not truly competitors.   You need to venture out in the elk range AWAY from the viewing areas and see how the elk behave; feeding them from your hand isn't in your future.  That being said, I don't have a dog in this fight so I am anxious to see this debate unfold.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/06 05:43:21 (permalink)
    I sincerely hope he isn't looking for a debate from me because truly, I could not care less.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/07 05:42:06 (permalink)
    According to a PGC contact, less than 30% of the CWD Area 2 permits have sold as of yesterday.

Make of that what you will.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/07 10:50:05 (permalink)
    Greetings, salutations, and thank you for allowing me this time to express my sincere interest on this subject.

So without further ado may I call your attention to the thousands of acres presently and/or soon to be posted (especially in the newly designated elk range). Those yellow, sometimes red, signs are spreading across the land of Penns Woods like measles through a neighborhood.

These posted signs are meant to keep 'John Q. Public' from using the land for certain sporting events, like hunting, or just plain trespassing.

Little known by most; these signs do not prevent game commission personnel from entering the posted land for the purpose of their job. As some of us know, the PA. Game commission recently had their tailfeathers trimmed by the courts in how they carry out their duty. However, the changes do not prevent the commission from ignoring the posted signs while they are performing routine game management. Commission peronnel can, and have, entered private property and removed live game ('to prevent over population' or 'spread of disease') and they do not need the land owners permission. The PGC does not want to be seen by 'John Q. Public' as the ogre and certainly can't afford bad publicity over unnecessary killing (aka; harvesting) of wild game.

Hang in there, my theory gets better.

The PGC does not have enough personnel to remove wild game from wide spread areas such as 'the new Elk range' so they enlist the help of ' the hunter' (no dah!!).

I'm certain most have figured out where I'm going with this but, for those with a brain the size of a knat or, fit the profile of a 'NIMBY. 'The hunter' cannot, legally, take game from posted land sooooo some laws will need changed (and they will be) allowing persons with 'special permits' to enter private lands holding 'suspected' diseased animals for, the purpose of 'harvesting' these 'suspected' animals.

The PGC will get their way by blowing smoke at the PA. law makers and will get the support of John Q. Public by pulling the wool over their eyes using CWD.

Once again my apology for the typos as I have to type this thread, my secretary won't return to work and, the temporary employee agency keeps hanging up on me.

Hunt Safely My Friends and Stay Thirsty.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/07 15:02:04 (permalink)
    That's pretty colorful scenario you paint there btdt.   But the handling of cwd is about exactly what the dmp has been about since day one, the same exact well known and documented agenda that had little gary alt screeching from his podium.   Its all about the poor trillium biodiversity and $$$ trees.  Its all about the expressed need to circumvent political pressures and get the job done, the forestry goals oriented 'job' they only "partially" succeeded in to this point.   Its not all about "the elk".   And hordes of permitted hunters invading private lands isn't happening any time soon.   There is zero political chance of that happening, and frankly, not debatable.  Nothing has changed.    Same ol' ****, different day.

-I donno dards, I would just say that's directed tied to the fact its only early aug. and so many reg. permits were already available as well.  Don't know if they'll all sell or not, but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/08/07 15:03:38

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/07 18:09:16 (permalink)
    Ahh the infamous 'Gary Alt', now there's, a legend in his own mind. Right you are Wayne but, I believe the PGC was infact trying to twist the arm of the politician(s) concerning the massive (??) PA. lumber industry being devastated by the big scary White Tail.

Research pictures taken during the time when the iron furnaces were in full swing. If Penn's Woods bounced back from that time in PA.s history, no amount of White Tail will destroy her forest now or in the future.

Don't know if you ever heard Mr. Alt speak, other then when he hid behind the podium but, I for one thought his elevator didn't go to the top floor. After hearing about saving the trees I was pretty sure the lights were on but, nobody was home.

Personnaly I think it is about the Elk but, the PGC could not eradicate (seems like a strong word but, not as strong as genicide) the White Tail from the new Elk range without, calling attention to themselves and creating enormous public outcry. Not only did the PGC not want the blackeye; you can bet they were warned that certain politicians didn't want any pressure that might cause problems at election time. So, let's create a bogus disaster across the state and develope new WMUs and wipeout much of the White Tail across the entire state.

Now as we all know, more, private land is being posted everyday pushing more hunters onto public lands where, populations of White Tail have already been reduced. As for the "invasion" of private property, that remains to be seen. But for now, let's create another possible disaster of which, will scare the general public because the word disease is included.

Thanks for your response Wayne. I gotta answear the phone I think it's my secretary calling.

PS I understand Mr. Alt has been approached to manage a plan involving White Tail in another state. Sure hope those hunters know Gary is an avid hunter and active member of the 'Rocky Mountain Elk Federation'.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/08/08 08:10:12 (permalink)
    wayne c. -I donno dards, I would just say that's directed tied to the fact its only early aug. and so many reg. permits were already available as well.  Don't know if they'll all sell or not, but wouldn't be surprised if they did. 

I kind of think that the market is saturated with doe tags and CWD permits at this point and hunters are realizing that they could not possibly fill or perhaps want to fill what is available. Seriously, if between the two types if tags one has 4,5,6 tags, are the majority really going to use them all, especially if it is a family group that has 2,3,4, or more hunters, each with that number of tags? I doubt it.

I agree they might all get sold, but I doubt they get used and even a percentage, perhaps a high percentage, won't even be attempted to be fill.

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/24 22:21:31 (permalink)
    BTDT and DarDys you 2 sure do have a lot of what ifs and I talked to and they saids...I was wondering what you 2 would do when the debate over the creeks calmed down now I know.
    Its a forum and I welcome all opinions have at it...

The PGC does a lot of good work sure they make mistakes and do things
    we do not agree with at times but its a HUGE undertaking managing all the game and the humans that chase them through the PA woods.
    Overall I say they do a good job but I did live out of state for 7 yrs that helped me  realized how good the hunting I grew up with in PA really is.
    Now I try to keep up with rule changes and abide by them and just enjoy my time outdoors in the PA woods.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/25 07:25:03 (permalink)
    When you have inside sources that don't necessarily agree with the program, mainly because they have the education and work experience and are not political appointees (trust me, having experienced the selection of a PFBC commissioner from inside the process, it is nothing but political), you don't risk their careers or advancement by identifying them in a public forum.

Sources are a good thing, as long as they are protected -- Journalism 101.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/26 00:56:03 (permalink)
    WCW you enjoy whatever you wish where ever you wish . Just don't try to force me to allow you to do what you wish......... on my land. Even if the migrating species you paid to capture crosses my land walking, flying, crawling or swimming.

As for the PGC; I have as much faith in them as, I do the PFBC.

Happy to hear you've figured out what I'll be doing after the debate calms down, thanks for your concerns.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to speak with some intelligent people.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/27 00:00:48 (permalink)
    "WCW you enjoy whatever you wish where ever you wish . Just don't try to force me to allow you to do what you wish......... on my land. Even if the migrating species you paid to capture crosses my land walking, flying, crawling or swimming."

I am not interested in doing ANYTHING on YOUR land I hunt my own land.And I am not the type to force any one to do anything just relax.
    Not all of us agree but we all have a voice here can't I disagree with you with out being scolded and called stupid-whatever this will be my last reply here.
    U R RIGHT any 1 who disagrees is STUPID...WCW
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/27 00:47:20 (permalink)
    " sure they make mistakes and do things
    we do not agree with at times"

Kinda like saying Jeffrey Dahmer was sometimes a not so nice guy but made a few small mistakes so some people don't really care for him. lmao.  - Its been my extensive experience that the pgc is very likely the most hated wildlife management agency in the entire nation, and they didn't accomplish that feat by making a few small mistakes here or there, but overall doing everything else well, but are misunderstood because they have such a big job to do n'at.

"Overall I say they do a good job but I did live out of state for 7 yrs that helped me  realized how good the hunting I grew up with in PA really is

Interesting viewpoint.   Ive hunted multiple states and have found just the opposite.  So has every friend and family member I have that hunts other states.   Hunting Ohio and some others shows us exactly how much of a bargain paying triple for nonresident fees in their state is, compared to paying resident fees and hunting in good ol' antideer environ-extremist run Pennsyltucky.
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/09/27 00:55:17

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/28 16:50:49 (permalink)
    wayne c
     Hunting Ohio and some others shows us exactly how much of a bargain paying triple for nonresident fees in their state is, compared to paying resident fees and hunting in good ol' antideer environ-extremist run Pennsyltucky.

Makes one wonder why many of those states are beginning to come our way as far as deer management goes.

My rifle is a black rifle
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: And so it continues... 2014/09/28 21:23:54 (permalink)
    Care to elaborate on that one DPMS. The best states still don't have AR, There are many different ways the doe licenses are allocated, none have published studies saying how they estimate deer harvests inflates the harvest except ours, none except PA have decided after 13 years of blaming the deer for lack of regeneration that maybe they should do a study to see if the deer are really the problem, most states view the deer as a money maker for the state except PA who views them as a pest, the QDMA claimed the last I looked hunter numbers have been increasing in most states with PA being an exception, I'am not sure how many states tried to buy off the head of their agency to keep him quiet (haven't heard much on that lately btw), when I can go into a area cold in another state and see more deer in a weeks time than I can in areas I have hunted for decades I don't see where they have come our way in deer management. Either that or I am blind and deaf in PA and Daniel Boone once I leave it. LOL---------We will find out in six days.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: