Helpful ReplyUpdate on what Tailwater Updated responses

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 22:02:12 (permalink)
Maybe it is time for a Salmon Steelhead licanse, $20 for residents and property owners, and $200 for out of staters. And M-F only like in BC.

Have a good trip, Fichman, I never found any of your posts problematic, and I'll miss the occasional rainbow picture from  you pond fishing excursions or the stripers. 

Having just returned from a great trip to Chicago, even if short and work filled, if New York wants to be the fleshpot of the fishing  world, might start looking into a move to Wisconsin or Michigan, there is a lot of water out there.

L13
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 09:51:34 (permalink)
fichy
My posts are as well received here as Chartist's, but I'll add one more before  I go back to the occasional lurk. This topic may be a moot point, as the PFR bank rights are sold in perpetuity and are maintained irrespective of property changing hands. If you look at Tailhook's  Facebook page, you'll read some interesting things between the lines. They are offering some promotional discounts for lodging and they have a plea out for guides to be on their list. This tells me a few things- that 179 bucks is not very palatable to most, and that the locals aren't fawning all over them and lining up to go into indentured servitude. They very well may attempt to get the North Bank through some legal; shenanigans, but they'll face a number of obstacles to get there.
  1. This would create an instant problem for the state boat launch- if they succeed, they very well may be forced to pay for another launch below their property.
 2. Local opinion will be such that acts of "terrorism" will be inevitable. A few clients with Ohio plates with slashed tires will put out a very effective ad campaign in the wrong direction.
 3. The state's tax coffers aren't served when you trade  the many penny pinching paupers for the well heeled occasional visitor. Local businesses will suffer, as Chartist stated he'll eat somewhere expensive, but displace 3 guys who'll spend half as much as he does. You do the math.  Tax breaks and tax write-offs do not spell profit and real revenue generation.
 4. The potential for corporate business ala conventions is on the wane.
Investors don't want to see lavish expense accounts for the mid level rabble any longer. You can easily conduct business over your phone and tele-conferencing- no need for very expensive conventions that eat profits. Many cities are dialing back on their plans for convention centers, Albany's included. TL is going to have an even harder go.
   They're starting to do the foolish practice of throwing money at a bad idea. In the end, they may hold their own, and make the 99'ers suck ****, but there will be some bad blood generated.  
   For myself, I leave for one of the premier rainbow rivers in the US next week, the San Juan. I'll spend my time doing some pretty difficult technical fishing for 20" plus bows with flies from 22 thru 28. I'll be camping for 9 bucks a night and eating off my backpacking stove. There's not much for fancy lodging nearby, anyway. The SJ seems to attract real fisherman that don't need to resort to snagging to have a successful trip. I'm also taking a rim to rim backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon , but that ain't fishin'.
It's a very sad state of affairs when people think snagging sharks in the SR is a badge of honor and a sign of angling skill. It's worth it to us that don't travel that far and  spend a lot of money on it for some laughs and fun, but pretty ludicrous to consider it on par with Atlantic Salmon fishing, or many, many other fisheries  across the economic spectrum that require real skills.
   That's enough from me for the next 6 or 7 months.
Hope everyone has a productive spring and summer.

I fished the San Juan last summer....It is not a technical river, it's a float trip down a tailwater.  The scenery is boring as you'll ever experience in a trout area.  You want a wonderful New Mexico fishing experience, try fishing further north in the Chama Valley, specifically the Brazos river....Now that's beautiful and technical.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 09:58:38 (permalink)
This thread was in the dumps right after it started. Clint, you had good intentions with spreading the word though. Unfortunately its just reverting and digressing to a fly snobbery battle. Just chill the f!ck out folks and fish!!!
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 10:10:21 (permalink)
Sent an Email to the head of DEC this morning asking if the pfr was secured in perpetuity or not.
Let you know when I get an answer.
Also let you know if I don't get a response after a couple business days.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 10:21:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the effort two Bob...

I do know in fact that a few thousand feet (approxjmately 4k) of bank front properties that nimo (nat grid) shed off about ten years ago were all deeded to be pfr bank easements for fishing purposes (only). They all included an environmental conservation easements as well to help protect the ecosystem of the drainage basin in which no building or land alteration is permitted beyond the conservation easement line. All said properties are all in conjunction with public parking and access trails... This is fact for sure!!!

Now, if I remember correctly, the last time I viewed the pfr map, the north bank that is at stake of possible loss below the rt. 52 bridge in Altmar is highlighted as pfr... the problem is nimo still owns the property and who knows what type of power they have.

Great efforts on anyones and everyone's parts for voicing their opinions thus far. Its really all we have. The politics will unfold as they always do though. Hopefully for the better of the majority in this case
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 10:46:09 (permalink)
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission also requires as part of licensing of production facilities that recreational access be provided to the public.  This will need to be pursued.

If somehow the Power Company sold easement rights in perpetuity to NYS and now tries to hornsawaggle them back, it might be time to urge the employment of eminent domain.  DEC has committed in the past to only obtaining access through willing seller arrangements, but if the easements have already been paid for once, there was a willing seller.

I might have to buy a kayak and start making multiple runs down the upper SR! Anyone for a few days flotilla at peak of salmon season?

L13

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 11:18:48 (permalink)
Dime is correct , the maps clearly show north bank public fishing all the way from Altmar Bridge to Pineville.  These easements were always reported by DEC personnel I have asked as traveling with the property so a new owner has to respect the easement.  The Power Company still owns the land, and can do with it what they want, even fence it, but they cannot restrict access for fishing.  Perhaps Tailwater intends to try to reverse this in court, but I would think the state would fight this aggressively, as aside from this couple of miles, they have  over 1000 other miles of PFR easements, which is an investment of New York State Taxpayer and user fee dollars of as much as 39 million. Also remember that Energy Companies, like other utilities that are natural monopolies, are held to different standards than standard "free enterprise" businesses.  So, unlike the village, who, in a home rule state like New York, could deal with anyone they wanted on a sale, in the case of an energy provider, the State might have a first right to purchase the land Of course, if the Syracuse developer is in bed with the governor.....     

From the DEC website:
"Since 1935, the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has worked with private landowners to ensure access to these prime fishing waters. During that time, nearly 1,300 miles of public fishing rights (PFR) easements have been purchased on over 400 streams across the state. The landowners participating in New York's PFR program are the key to its success, and the reason that our children will be able to continue enjoying fishing."

"(PFR's) are permanent easements purchased by the NYSDEC from willing landowners, giving anglers the right to fish and walk along the bank (usually a 33' strip on one or both banks of the stream). This right is for the purpose of fishing only and no other purpose. Treat the land with respect to insure the continuation of this right and privilege. Fishing privileges may be available on some other private lands with permission of the land owner." 

L13
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 13:03:41 (permalink)
After reading the latest posts I doubt that the Tailwater scumbag hotel will be able to restrict access on the north side.But as I said before they,the Tailwater scumbag,will NEVER see any of my money....EVER!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 15:05:33 (permalink)
Well Pa seems fired up too.. Thanks for the support.. I really hated to lose that South bank of water where I actually cut my teeth but still have to say, we , NY gave it up and they took advantage.. I have stayed at their other places in Cuse on a corporate dime.. I will not however again knowing they now control my fishing access.. 

L-13 points the facts as we know, I'm sure many things we do not also, and may never will.. If we lose what we think or have been posted as PFR then it will indeed be a huge blow to the outdoor communities, not just our fishers.. To me it seems dirty but to some suits it may seem a business deal and move forward.. Don't think I will ever leave New York.. I have been to many great places in this country that I stand in AWE , even Pa but I have lived my life here and find the opportunities for recreation that suites my clothes, not my suit. In a few short weeks there will be Ocean run 40# Striped bass in my back yard..
Lets just hope all good things remain the same or better..
Peace & Tuna 
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/03/22 15:06:44

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/22 20:38:10 (permalink)
pafisher
After reading the latest posts I doubt that the Tailwater scumbag hotel will be able to restrict access on the north side.But as I said before they,the Tailwater scumbag,will NEVER see any of my money....EVER!

Yea I see them trying to restrict access and make people walk up the easement, the next fight would be where is the easement end.   I could also see them riding it out a little  and when people start leaving garbage everywhere then saying the PFR is lowering the property values or something like that.   Lawyers are slimy tricky people

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/23 17:16:17 (permalink)
It's hard to charge folks $179 per night lodging without guaranteeing them some private fishing access.  I don't think they believe anyone living in that town, or even the county,  was likely to be their customer.  You folks who live in the town should be happy to see some investment come your way.  Maybe now it will motivate home owners in the area to buy some paint and a brush this spring. 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/23 18:19:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby troutbum21 2014/03/23 21:10:50
This level of pomposity nearly justifies the Obama income equalization intentions.

L13
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/23 23:40:48 (permalink)
Chartist, what makes you think you can say something like that? All I can think is you are an a** hole... bottom line. And honestly that's one of my biggest problems with this fishery is a** holes like yourself and the a** clown that wrote on clints car... too many self entitled elitist, snobby, piece of s*it a**holes... and its always been here, but more than ever now. couple mass social media with it and here comes a few thousand more a**holes!!! All over some stupid fish. That's the funniest part. Altmar was a joke this weekend. Spring and summer can't come fast enough so a**holes like yourself and local river ****s can become obsolete from our little slice of heaven we have here... Go f**k yourself!
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 01:25:27 (permalink)
trolls be trolls.

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 09:32:14 (permalink)
not to feed the troll...but would you still spend that money and drive that far without the stocked fish?  If there is no public access there will be no public support for the stocking.
I agree with everyone else here...stay in ohio

wishin i was fishin
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 10:19:34 (permalink)
As I said before,ignore anything he says and do not respond to any of his stupid posts.Or maybe the admin.that review these boards can just ban him as they did in the past.
Dime you do realize he loves to goad you and others....don't you?
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 11:28:22 (permalink)
Jack, I really haven't once given in to any of his sh*t but couldn't resist this time around. I'd be shocked if he responds to my post. And if he does it really doesn't matter... I know where I stand and we all know where he stands. 3k is chump change compared to what members of this board have contributed to this fishery... let alone property taxes from the NY residents...
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 13:10:23 (permalink)
As 2b has suggested before, it's perhaps time to have a real moderator drawn from the ranks to control issues like this. I think this economic disparity/class warfare troll had several  of us discussing an  Occupy Pulaski movement  a few years ago.   I spent near that 3k this year, but was on the water far more often than the troll. In that time, I netted and photographed fish for people, helped newcomers, gave directions, and put a few smiles on people's faces. I also had a few ready to throw down because I called their illegal s****. Nancy and I also picked up lots of trash, and even attended the local church and left a good donation. It's gratifying to me that I've been a helpful visitor of the river, not just a depositor of a few sheckels. There's more to life than just paying for it. The SR hasn't been treated like a call girl by me.  Some know no better, and think money buys everything. What infuriates me and caused me to break my silence is how the moderator/admin shut down Jack for profanity, but did not bother to read the inflammatory content that caused it.  This forum seems to exist as a loose collection of semi-like minded  fishermen, who actually can fish together IN PERSON.  There's no question who people would rather fish with. People line up to be Jack's net man. Though I seem to get under the collar of Tuna and Dime, I don't intentionally do so, they just don't like what I post as  sometimes I'm very sarcastic and we have very different  lives and interests. I really feel I'm no better than anyone, but I'm no worse, either.  We can still put aside our differences and share a piece of water, though.  This  cyber-community is fairly tolerant as long as people are respectful and at least make some attempt to modify or explain their views politely. If you're a troll, that's not on the agenda. I hope when I come back here in the early fall, there'll be more laughs and thank yous than people typing with balled fists and blood pressure off the charts.  I hope the regulars here consider what I said about a mod.  2B saw the need awhile ago, I heartily agree.  Thanks for having me this season, and excuse another post.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 15:11:52 (permalink)
Fichy-Thanks for taking the time to address this nonsense.  I hope you and Nancy have a grand trip to the SJ and other points of interest.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 16:32:40 (permalink)

We all have our tipping points Dime and I'm as guilty as anyone  but please..

post edited by pensfan1 - 2014/03/24 16:36:16
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 18:03:10 (permalink)
Charlie,
Your posts are always well written and your reports well received.. Sometimes I scratch my head and sometimes not..
What this forum has brought to me over my tenure has been the memories of fishing.. Something we all enjoy , to have folks dispute that is insane.. Having someone try to tell us how to spend our money, and where, when or how is ludicrous..
Do we, this forum need someone to tell those who don't ?
I fish.. 

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 18:47:27 (permalink)
dimebrite2
Chartist, what makes you think you can say something like that? All I can think is you are an a** hole... bottom line. And honestly that's one of my biggest problems with this fishery is a** holes like yourself and the a** clown that wrote on clints car... too many self entitled elitist, snobby, piece of s*it a**holes... and its always been here, but more than ever now. couple mass social media with it and here comes a few thousand more a**holes!!! All over some stupid fish. That's the funniest part. Altmar was a joke this weekend. Spring and summer can't come fast enough so a**holes like yourself and local river ****s can become obsolete from our little slice of heaven we have here... Go f**k yourself!

You have something special in the SR, there's no doubt.  But you're not going to keep it to yourself, that was not the intention of the government.  The intention was to drive fishing tourism.  Now you want more elbow room?  Drive prices up and more people will stay home.  But some of you slamming that investment company for developing an old school into something viable makes no sense.   
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 19:24:14 (permalink)
Chartist theirs so much I can say for myself (not about you in particular) to state my opinion and where I stand. But I refrain these days as there's no need to prove my worth to anyone. I have my family friends and work hard to keep my worth. I do respect your honest reply to my horrible post though. I called it from early on that this thread was a dud and it did indeed turn in to just that.

I have no problems with anyone here. No further comment.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 19:27:35 (permalink)
Char, we have many things special in New York don't you in Ohio ?
Should we New York folk tell you how to run your state ?
Gosh almighty ... Move to NY or shut the heck up and stay in Ohio
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/03/24 19:30:40

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 19:38:24 (permalink)
Coldfront, thanks for the invite.  April is for the Vermilion River.  I am going to try and get there in two or three weeks....You should give the V a try.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 20:04:06 (permalink)
Lets get this thread back to what it was intended for.

This seems to be the canned response from the DEC

Thanks for your email and for your interest in maintaining public fishing access along the Salmon River.  With regard to our Public Fishing Right's (PFR), they are easements that are permanently deeded to the state. Typically we buy the fishing rights from the landowner and the agreed upon rights of access, whether they are a 33 or 66 foot wide right-of-way along the stream bank, become the states forever. Relative to the PFR along the Salmon River, what you see on our website is accurate and we have no intent of ever forfeiting any portion of those rights. Relative to the parcel of property on the northeast side of the river adjacent to our Altmar North Parking Lot, our current interpretation is that the PFR easement associated with the National Grid owned property is still continuous along this entire stretch. If a conflict were to arise in the future we are prepared to do all we can to alleviate the situation in a manner that will benefit the angling public.

Thanks again for your concern and I hope this explanation provides you a better understanding of our fishing rights along the Salmon River.

Region 7 Fisheries Office
NYSDEC
1285 Fisher Avenue
Cortland NY, 13045
(607) 753-3095

The words current interpretation are a bit scary.

This is the canned worthless letter from the gubbenors office

Thank you for your e-mail. To build a stronger, better New York, we need the participation of citizens like you - sharing your ideas, comments, and concerns. Your input is invaluable to our mission to create a government that works for its people, and I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me.

I want to assure you that your e-mail has been received and that it will be read and shared with the appropriate members of my staff.

I encourage you to return to my website, where you can review my Administration's initiatives and familiarize yourself with my office and YOUR state government.

Thank you again for sharing your perspective and for joining in the effort to build a new New York.

Sincerely,

Andrew M. Cuomo

At least the DEC's letter had info on the issue
post edited by Clint S - 2014/03/24 20:05:27

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 20:18:05 (permalink)
clint.
my take so far is that this is all internet garble without any factual basis.. I only hope it is and puts us outdoors folks on notice to focus on what is important to us.
I have yet to receive any response from my letters and questions to the Gov , DEC or freedom of information..

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 21:46:46 (permalink)
Guys, pfr is in place on the said waters... of course anything is refutable... anyone can refute anything and try to throw their weight around. It would be a huge slap in the face if they overturn the pfr though... and I agree tuna, a huge amount of internet garble over something that most likely "shouldnt" happen...
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/24 22:20:29 (permalink)
I triple that, probably based on more speculation and rumor mill than fact.   The PFR's are in place.    It is though something to keep in the back of our heads though.  Although I can speculate that some lawyer is looking  for a loophole, written in small print on the Nimo deed though.............

I for one do find it hard to believe that anyone would put that kind of $$$$$  into a place with only the frontage they have and the average Joe slinging lead from the other side (which fishes better) 

post edited by Clint S - 2014/03/24 22:30:25

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/25 07:45:20 (permalink)
Unless they originally saw it as a stopover for the night, get picked up by the guide in the AM place with a little water for the evening, after cocktails thing, the " home pool", but the elites have not been exactly breaking down the door to get in there.  They may not have figured weather into their equation, and after this winter, anyone who didn't have enough in the bank to ride out months of nearly no anglers is hurting.

L13
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: